Bill DetailsOfficial information provided by the Congressional Research Service. Learn more or make a suggestion.
The Congressional Research Service writes summaries for most legislation. These summaries are listed here. Causes will update some legislation with a revised summary, title or other key elements.
Microloan Improvement Act of 2021
To amend the Small Business Act to optimize the operations of the microloan program, lower costs for small business concerns and intermediary participants in the program, and for other purposes.
Microloan Improvement Act of 2021 This bill revises the microloan program through which the Small Business Administration (SBA) provides, through designated intermediaries, certain financial assistance to small businesses. Specifically, the bill authorizes an intermediary to offer a line of credit to a small business, and it increases the average amount for loans from an intermediary to participating small businesses that makes the intermediary eligible for a reduced interest rate on SBA loans. The bill also places limits on the repayment term for a microloan, and it prohibits the SBA from imposing any additional limitation on the term for repayment of a microloan. Further, the SBA must (1) reserve 15% of new loan funds that are made available for disbursement as microloans to designated underutilized states and make the remaining 85% available for any state, (2) establish a process for an intermediary to provide the major credit reporting agencies with information about a borrower that is relevant to credit reporting, and (3) include information regarding equitable distribution of loan funds in its annual report.
- Not enactedThe President has not signed this bill
- The senate has not voted
- The house has not voted
Committee on Small BusinessIntroducedMarch 2nd, 2021
- house Committees