Does the U.S. Military Need a Space Force?
Vote to see how others feel about this issue
by Causes | 8.9.18
What’s the story?
- Vice President Mike Pence announced on Thursday that “establishing the Space Force is an idea whose time has come."
- Also known as the “Space Corps,” this branch would be tasked with protecting America, and American assets, from threats occurring beyond Earth’s atmosphere.
- Speaking alongside Defense Secretary James Mattis at the Pentagon, Pence said the Defense Department has begun the process of creating the Space Force as the sixth branch of the armed forces by 2020.
"As President Trump has said, in his words, it is not enough to merely have an American presence in space—we must have American dominance in space. And so we will," Pence said. "Space is, in his words, a war-fighting domain just like land and air and sea."
- Pence added, "History proves that peace only comes through strength, and in the realm of outer space, the United States Space Force will be that strength in the years ahead."
- The Defense Department released a 15-page report outlining the phases of creating the new branch. The report said the Pentagon plans to "usher in a new age of space technology" in order "to deter and if necessary degrade, deny, disrupt, destroy, and manipulate adversary capabilities to protect U.S. interests, assets, and way of life."
What do you think?
Congress would have to approve the creation of a new military branch.
Do you think the U.S. should establish a Space Force within the military? Should the Pentagon consider commercial space options instead? Does America need a military presence in space? Hit the Take Action button and tell your Reps.
(Photo Credit: fredmantel / iStock)
China's 'genocide' against Uyghur Muslims, and... Do you support Biden's climate change orders?Welcome to Thursday, January 28th, bald and hirsute...President Joe Biden has signed a slew of executive orders that prioritize
by Causes | 1.28.21
Biden Targets Drilling, Fossil Fuels in Climate Change Executive Orders - Do You Support Them?What's the story? President Joe Biden has signed a slew of executive orders that prioritize climate change at every level of the
by Causes | 1.27.21
IT: The constitutionality of impeaching an ex-president, and... 💵 Do you support a Tubman $20?Welcome to Wednesday, January 27th, elves and goblins...The Senate voted 55-45 to table an effort by Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) to
by Causes | 1.27.21