Bill Would Require Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity Data by 2030 Census
Vote to see how others feel about this issue
by Causes | 8.1.18
What’s the story?
- A group of Democratic senators have introduced a bill that would require the U.S. census to directly ask about sexual orientation and gender identity by the 2030 census.
- The census currently allows people to select “male” or “female” as their sex. If the Census Equality Act passes, questions about sexual orientation and gender identity would be added to the national headcount by 2030.
- LGBTQ advocates had pushed for the 2020 census to include questions on sexual orientation and gender identity, but the bureau declined the request. The 2020 census will, however, include new relationship categories for “same-sex” and “opposite-sex” couples.
Why collect data on sexual orientation and gender identity?
- "The spirit of the census is that no one should go uncounted and no one should be invisible,” said Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA), who introduced the bill with Tom Carpenter (D-DE). She continued:
"We must expand data collections efforts to ensure the LGBTQ community is not only seen, but fully accounted for in terms of government resources provided."
- In a press release, Harris and Carper said the new legislation will help members of the LGBTQ community gain access to Medicaid, housing vouchers, and food aid provided through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
What do you think?
Do you support adding questions about sexual orientation and gender identity to the census? Hit Take Action and tell your reps, then share your thoughts below.
(Illustration: Anne-Marie Miller / iStock)
Trump: ‘We Went From America First to America Last’What's the story?In his first public appearance since leaving office on Jan. 20, former President Donald Trump on Sunday called
by Causes | 2.28.21
IT: 🗯 Trump: 'We went from America First to America Last,' and... Do you support the U.S. air strikes in Syria?Welcome to Monday, March 1st, lions and lambs...In his first public appearance since leaving office on Jan. 20, former President
by Causes | 3.1.21
Know a Nominee: Gina Raimondo to be Secretary of CommerceThe Senate is expected to vote in the near future on the nomination of Gina Raimondo to be Secretary of Commerce, starting with
by Causes | 2.28.21