Trump Says 'Country Going To Hell' After Indictment
Do you think the Manhattan DA should press charges against Trump?
Updated April 5, 2023
"Our country is going to hell. The world is already laughing at us - for our open borders and the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan."
"The only crime that I have committed is to fearlessly defend our nation from those who seek to destroy it."
We are a nation in decline. And now these radical left lunatics want to interfere with our elections by using law enforcement. We can't let that happen."
Updated 4:00pm EST
- Trump was charged with 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in the first degree and pleaded not guilty to all counts.
- The charges are class E felonies, the lowest category carrying a maximum prison sentence of four years each. Falsifying business records under New York law is normally a misdemeanor, but prosecutors can escalate the charge if the accused falsified the records to commit or hide another crime.
- Trump did not have to post bail as new policies don't require it for most misdemeanors or nonviolent felonies.
- State Supreme Court Justice Juan M. Merchan adjourned the case until an unspecified date, likely months from now.
- Manhattan DA, Alvin L. Bragg, assures the public that his politics will not play a role in the case. He added:
"Manhattan is home to the country's most significant business market. We cannot allow New York businesses to manipulate their records to cover up criminal conduct."
Updated 2:00pm EST
- Trump turned himself in at the district attorney's office in Lower Manhattan, escorted by an 11-vehicle motorcade. He will be fingerprinted while in custody before he appears before the court to be formally arraigned.
- Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene gave a brief speech across from the courthouse. Before being swarmed by conservative supporters and escorted out by NYPD, Greene said:
"We are here to peacefully protest against the persecution of an innocent man. Not just any innocent man, this is the former president of the United States of America."
- Rep. Jamaal Dowman (D-NY) made an appearance after the rally, saying:
"Do your freaking job, Marjorie Taylor Greene. You don't need to be in New York City talking that nonsense. Go back to your district."
Updated April 4, 2023, 10:30am EST
- Donald Trump is expected to appear today in a Manhattan courtroom and plead not guilty to the 30+ criminal charges he faces. New York City police officers are preparing for the high-profile event, putting fences around the courthouse and Trump Tower.
- Rep. George Santos (R-NY) arrived in New York for the pro-Trump demonstration at Collect Pond Park, outside the criminal court. City law enforcement created spaces for pro and anti-Trump protesters to stand away from each other.
- Journalists started lining up for the event more than 24 hours in advance in an attempt to report on an unprecedented moment in American history.
- Trump is not expected to be handcuffed or have a mugshot taken. Mugshots are meant to help authorities identify and find a defendant if they flee, which Trump is not expected to do. In New York state, law enforcement officials have discretion over whether or not to take a mugshot.
Updated April 3, 2023
- Trump is traveling from Florida to New York today as he prepares to appear in court tomorrow. U.S. Secret Service is conducting heavy security outside the lower Manhattan court building.
- One of Trump's advisors claims the former president has raised $7 million since the news of the indictment was released. Trump rallied his supporters, claiming the Manhattan DA's investigation was a "witch hunt." He asked the judge to block cameras in the courtroom after several major media outlets requested access to broadcast the hearing.
- As protests are being planned for tomorrow, police are heavily patrolling the streets outside the Trump Tower. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) is expected to headline a rally led by the New York Young Republican Club.
- New York Mayor Eric Adams spoke at a press conference this morning, encouraging all protesters to remain peaceful, including Rep. Greene. He said:
"While there may be some rabble-rousers thinking about coming to our city tomorrow, our message is clear and simple: control yourselves. New York City is our home, not a playground for your misplaced anger."
Updated March 31, 2023
- Trump is facing over 30 criminal charges related to alleged business and document fraud. The former president is scheduled to appear in Manhattan court next Tuesday, April 4.
- His lawyers say he will not be handcuffed for his court appearance and will plead not guilty to the charges. His defense attorney, Joe Tacopina, said the team plans to "aggressively" challenge the "legal viability" of the case.
Updated March 30, 2023
- A Manhattan grand jury voted Thursday to indict Former President Donald Trump for his role in paying hush money to pornographic film star Stormy Daniels during the 2016 election.
- While the exact charges are not known at this time, Trump is the first former or current president to be indicted.
- The indictment is currently sealed and will be released in the coming days.
- Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg is reaching out to Trump's lawyers to discuss the former president's surrender and arraignment.
- An indictment would not bar Trump from his current presidential bid, nor would it impact a possible second term in office. The Constitution makes no mention of a criminal record in its eligibility requirements for president.
- Michael Cohen, the key witness in the case, and a former lawyer for Trump, said in a statement:
“For the first time in our Country’s history, a President (current or former) of the United States has been indicted. I take no pride in issuing this statement and wish to also remind everyone of the presumption of innocence; as provided by the due process clause. However, I do take solace in validating the adage that no one is above the law; not even a former President. Today’s indictment is not the end of this chapter; but rather, just the beginning. Now that the charges have been filed, it is better for the case to let the indictment speak for itself. The two things I wish to say at this time is that accountability matters and I stand by my testimony and the evidence I have provided to DANY.”
This is a breaking story and will be updated.
Updated March 23, 2023
- NYC prosecutors said Trump created a false expectation of his indictment, leading his supporters to interfere with the investigation of his payment to Stormy Daniels. As the Manhattan district attorney's probe nears its final stages, Trump remains resistant, claiming he is "100% INNOCENT" on his social media site, Truth Social.
- The Manhattan grand jury will not meet on Trump's case when it convenes today, pushing the inquiry to next week.
- Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg accused Republicans in the House of launching "an unprecedented inquiry into a pending local prosecution." General counsel Leslie Dubeck said the GOP's prod for information "only came after Donald Trump created a false expectation that he would be arrested the next day and his lawyers reported urged [them] to intervene." Dubeck called their claims politically motivated and "unfounded."
- New York officials are still bracing for potential protests and unrest if the arrest occurs. So far this week, Trump supporters have been outnumbered by those in support of the indictment.
What’s the story?
- Former President Donald Trump expects to be arrested on Tuesday, March 21, for one of the five accusations against him currently being investigated.
- The latest indictment, led by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, examines whether Trump and his company broke state laws by giving Stephanie Clifford, the adult film star Stormy Daniels, hush money after a sexual encounter in 2006. Despite continuously denying the claim, his company paid Clifford $130,000 for her silence during Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign.
- Former prosecutor Mark Pomerantz said Trump’s company falsely hid the payments as legal fees, which violates New York criminal law. Michael Cohen, Trump’s longtime personal attorney, pleaded guilty to federal charges in 2018 on the arranged payments that Trump told him to make. Trump could be held responsible for the false records.
What happens next?
- While the rumor that Trump will be arrested started with him, several media outlets reported that law enforcement in New York is making security preparations for the indictment but said the event would arrive “in the coming weeks.”
- It is ultimately up to Bragg whether or not to press charges against the former president. The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office declined to comment on the rumored arrest.
- If Bragg does press charges, coordination between Trump’s lawyers, the Secret Service, and local law officials would be necessary. The former president would likely appear in New York court for an arraignment, which would be complicated by public attention.
What would happen if Trump is arrested?
- Since posting about his arrest, Trump has encouraged his supporters to protest if it comes to fruition. He wrote on Truth Social, telling his followers to protest and “take our nation back,” as well as:
“We just can’t allow this anymore. They’re killing our nation as we sit back and watch.”
- The threats are being taken very seriously as many compare Trump’s words to those that led to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol in 2021. In response to the threat, Bragg wrote an email to his employees saying, "we do not tolerate attempts to intimidate our office or threaten the rule of law in New York.” Bragg continued to assure his staff that their safety was his first priority.
- Many Republicans are also attempting to discourage protests. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) said he does not think people should protest the arrest and believes Trump feels the same way. However, McCarthy and other GOP leaders are defending Trump. McCarthy tweeted:
Here we go again — an outrageous abuse of power by a radical DA who lets violent criminals walk as he pursues political vengeance against President Trump.— Kevin McCarthy (@SpeakerMcCarthy) March 18, 2023
I’m directing relevant committees to immediately investigate if federal funds are being used to subvert our democracy by… https://t.co/elpbh7LeWn
Do you think the Manhattan DA should press charges against Trump?
-Jamie Epstein & Josh Herman
Feds Claim Civil Rights Violation on Waste System in Black CommunityWhat's the story? Lowndes County, Alabama, a majority Black community, has long been relying on outdated pipes to pump human read more... Environment
Biden Admin Seeks to Change Misleading Recycling LogoWhat's the story? The familiar recycling logo, with its triangular chasing arrows, has been a universal symbol for five decades. read more... Environment
AI's Risk to Democracy - TrackerGenerative AI poses a significant risk to democracy. One that we need to address rapidly before significant harm is done. Most read more... Artificial Intelligence
Countries Are Banning Vapes - Should More Do the Same?What’s the story? Countries worldwide are introducing legislation to ban or restrict vapes due to concerns over their popularity read more... Food & Agriculture
I am looking forward for the battle between the Manhattan DA, the Georgia DA, and several different DOJ prosecutors over who gets to have the first perp-walk of the trump in chains to his different trials.
I know that the trump is kind of looking forward to a perp-walk becuase he thinks he can use it to solicit more funds out of the poor fools that support him. That ay be true, but most of the electorate, I believe, are still in favor of the rule-of-law and equal justice for ask convicted criminals.
It will be interesting to see how the trump himself reacts when his illusion of wealth and power is finally seen by everyone as the optical illusion of smoke nad mirrors tha it actually is. I imagine that once a narcissist's shield of presumed wealth and power is taken away, they will have a major emotional reality to deal with.How will the trump deal with it?
When he is found guilty, all his presidential perks MUST BE RESCINDED. He is a traitor to our country. He tried to make us a dictatorship, for God's sake! We must not allow a traitor to receive a salary, Secret Service protection, free postage or whatever benefits a true president would have. On January 6th, and afterward with the stolen documents, he relinquished any rights to be treated as a former president would be - WITHOUT A DOUBT!
And isn't it wonderful to see how the Fox News hosts TRULY FEEL about their audience? Amazing how so many can continue to show their ignorance by still watching them.
This will bring the MAGA supporters out of the woodwork.
I believe the statue of limitations has expired BTW
I am amazed how long justice takes to happen in the US whenever it is someone rich and powerful like Donald Trump getting sued or prosecuted. I mean, how much more evidence would any prosecutor or judge need finally put the guy behind bars? He literally called for his supporters to illegally protest Congress to prevent him from leaving office! Come on, lawyers! Prosecuting Trump should have been a walk in the park, man!
This is not about setting a precedent. This is about asking a man who is NO LONGER a sitting president to pay for his crimes as the rest of us would. He relinquished the title and rights of President on January 6th! Who would EVER believe that a treasonous, and at the time, sitting President would ever be allowed to run rampant committing crime after crime without any consequences. Certainly not our Founding Fathers in the Constitution they labored over and created. Does the Dump walk free just because our Founding Fathers never believed that such a thing would be possible? They would think that CRAZY; just as any educated, common sense, moral person would. Should he be found guilty, he must lose all his presidential perks. He violated our country as never before. He was instrumental in the hundreds of thousands Covid deaths, even before the deaths on January 6th. It is way beyond time for this man to be held responsible for his crimes. Enough already! He deserves no special treatment. Those who think otherwise are absolutely incorrect.
All lies just to stop Trump from running again. We need to arrest the Biden's for accepting payments from China. It's all coming out and you socialists can't stop it
He has repeatedly broken the law. He needs to go to trial. A jury will decide what to do with him. Of course most of us are expecting a lenghty prison term when you consider the billions of dollars laundered and lost etc etc. He was a New York Criminal and people made him President of the United States. It must never, ever happen again!
While this has been the most stressful time that I can remember having in our country. I believe that it is going to bring us back to our very foundation of laws and liberties and growth and prosperity. We have all witnessed criminal behavior at the leadership level and never want to experience it again. Truth, liberty, honesty and justice built our very foundations and we are moving right back to it. I am so proud of our State in particular. No more machine guns in the State of Michigan!!!! Thank you all so much that brought that into being. God bless you!
Sault Ste. Marie
How do you expect to continue to live in a "free country" that has sets of rules and laws that 80% of the people can follow without any trouble. Then come out of a whirlwind of corruption from a criminal leader and a criminal political party that sets all on it's head upside down? Get the corruption in jail, make sure that the public is well aware of what happens to such liars and theives (NO PARDONS) and then hold your head high and celebrate your return to freedom and justice and the American Way. We all look so forward to it.
Prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law.
the article provides a general overview of the potential legal and political ramifications of Trump's rumored arrest, and it presents the perspectives of various stakeholders involved. However, it is important to note that the post is based on rumors and speculations rather than confirmed facts. Therefore, readers should approach the information presented with a critical mindset and consider multiple sources before forming their conclusions.
Frankly, the country was going to Hell before his indictment.
Yes, press charges. The Republican complainers are either those numb nuts that support the trump or those that know that they may be next for the financial crimes that they themselves have been committing, or the bribes they accept in selling political favor. The hypocrisy that they feel that they are above the rules that govern the rest of us or that we all ethically abide by - is the core problem.
Take the money out of politics and most of these problems will away - becuase, if the Republican Cartel has to actually do the hard work of governing instead of soliciting, these congresspeople enriching themselvess won't be interested in staying in office.
As far as the Frankentrump, there have literally been hundred of like prosecutions, including fraud convictions from this DA's office - and what exactly give the trump or his MAGA-nuts the idea that he should be treated differently than everyone else?
Enforcing equitable enforcement of the law IS an act of getting our country back as the law and ethics based country it used to be.
Letting scammers lie, cheat and steal, no matter the office that they may have held, is sacrificing the very principles and precepts upon which our country was founded.
Purely political. The charges are ridiculous. Even left-leaning prosecutors and former prosecutors say so.
No one in their right mind would diagree!
95% of the registered voters in Manhattan are Democrat, so the pool of jurors is NOT close to being a split for a jury of his peers. The Judge is a major Democrat campaign donor, and I will not go into his daughter's liberal connections. The statute of limitations on the charges are two years and all under it have expired. The balance of the charges are under the 7 year limit, which has already expired. Bragg is trying to say that justice was delayed 2 years by Covid, so he is barely within the 7 year limit. There is NO SUCH LAW which suspends legal matters for Covid, so those also are expired. No charges left to prosecute.
Most of you Democrats posting on this site, are pushing for ANTI-TRUMP MOB RULE, not the rule-of-law. Please show PROOF of LAWS that Trump has broken. And as for a GAG ORDER, you would prevent a candidate from conducting POLITICAL campaigns. That is AGAINST the rule-of-law, a violation of the First Amendment. The one and only reason for the continued PERSECUTION of Trump, is to stop Trump from campaigning, as the LIBERALS cannot beat him on the issues, and you all know it!
Biden loses on the: ECONOMY, BORDER/IMMIGRATION and MIGRATION, FOREIGN POLICY, COVID, EDUCATION, SPY BALLONS, EMPLOYMENT, ENERGY INDEPENDANCE, and many other issues. All validated by LIBERAL polls! OVER 70% of those polled, say the Liberal agenda is on the WRONG TRACK. Will you LIBERAL posters on this site, ever wake up? I doubt it as you only watch MSNBC, CBS, CNN, and ABC, therefore you are only getting the singular MARXIST verson of the truth.
Sentence trump for all crimes and to full extent of law, Now!
Faction GOP clearly they don't represent the majority.
Justice Clarence Thomas accepted several luxury trips paid for by GOP megadonor!!' Why is this lieing partisan pig still in the court today? Just another example of what a disaster Republican Party is today, corrupt liers, All instigated by Donald Trump. More and more Republican Party is forcing its way into peoples private lives becoming the party big government and the party of government interference. Any Republican with any amount of self-respect has got to see what's going on with their party, it's pathetic.
Jim Jorden should be investigated For his connection in the January 5 attempt to violently overthrow the government. It seems more and more apparent that he does have direct connections to it.
Stop giving the man airtime. If he says something that further implicates him, please share. Otherwise quit giving him a platform for threats, lies, half-truths, and his perceived victimhood.
Only his delusional followers, China, and Russia are impressed with this coverage.
Everyone should be disgusted
The country went to hell when Dumpf was president. It will return to honesty and even a iota of benevolence when it punishes a filthy rich foul mouthed criminal instead of gunning unarmed poor or mentally disturbed people on the street. Let the rule of law rule the land and make them laws for the people, not for corrupt politicians and their wealthy cronies.
Burden of proof is on the DA not the victim.
Is there any question that he broke the law? What funds did he use to pay Daniels off? Money from his campaign funds? How can he explain his other pay-offs if he is innocent? He is guilty!
New York is to spend 200 million on police for a 150k incident????? WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY! Do you support the prosecution of President Trump?
And just why does the trump continue to think that just HE is the country?
I respect the Office of the President primarily, and the person currently serving the the head of that office as our serving President - so long as they do not abuse the privileges associated with that office nor responsibilities.
I am really tired of this Frankentrump thing continually dominating the news cycle with his narcissistic sociopathic victimhood commentary.
Frankly I am beginning to gag every time I hear his name.
I hope that the judge will issue a gag order on he who's name should never be spoken aloud. It will save my the expense of the ant-acids needed from inadvertent exposure to this pestilence infecting our Democratic government.