LGBTQ+ Rights & Trans Bans
Demand your reps take action on LGBTQIA+ rights
Take Action On LGBTQ+ Rights & Trans Bans
Causes.com is your source for up-to-date info on LGBTQIA+ rights and efforts to expand or limit them.
The LGBTQIA+ community is facing an array of challenges today, from bans on drag shows in Tennessee to a national "Don't Say Gay" bill. It's never been more important to take a stand.
Be sure to take action now by telling your reps your stance on LGBTQIA+ equality and anti-trans laws.
LGBTQIA+ rights, transgender bans, and gender-affirming care—get all the latest updates here...
Georgia Gov. Kemp Bans Gender-Affirming Care For Transgender Youth
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp has signed a bill that would ban most gender-affirming care, including hormone replacement therapies and surgeries, for transgender youth under 18.
- Lawmakers gave their final approval to Senate Bill 140 with a 31-21 vote.
- The bill became one of the most controversial and divisive of Georgia's 2023 legislative session and Kemp signed the bill in private.
- The law takes effect on July 1 and minors who are currently receiving gender-affirming care will not be impacted by the law.
Do you support the growing bans against transgender youth?
Lawmakers Introduce Record Number of Anti-LGBTQIA+ Bills
- U.S. government officials have proposed a record-breaking number of anti-LGBTQ+ bills so far this year, with 150 pieces of legislation being pre-filed, introduced, or passed in 23 states.
- In total, the American Civil Liberties Union is tracking 371 anti-LGBTQ+ bills, many of which are targeting transgender communities.
- Utah Gov. Spencer Cox (R) was the first to enact a gender-affirming care act of 2023. The ban does not impact trans youth previously diagnosed with gender dysphoria but places an indefinite ban on access to hormone therapy for future patients.
- The bills focus on a variety of targets, including but not limited to bathroom access, eligibility to play on sports teams, health care services, and gender-affirming care.
Contact your reps and demand they take action on LGBTQIA+ rights
Transgender Youth Experiencing Mental Health Crisis
- In 2021, the Trevor Project, an LGBTQ+ youth crisis organization, found that 25% of the 1,717 Black transgender and nonbinary youth they interviewed had attempted suicide in the past year.
- Over one-third of the Black trans youth polled, aged 13 to 24, have experienced homelessness or been kicked out of their home. In comparison, 24% of Black cisgender queer youth reported the same experience.
- Roughly 40% of respondents have been physically threatened or harmed, and 77% have been discriminated against due to their gender identity and sexual orientation. Nearly 45% of trans youth have experienced cyberbullying, and one-third said they feel unsafe seeing medical professionals, even when sick.
Speak out on anti-trans bills. Contact your Representatives today.
Gov. DeSantis Signs Bill To Increase Control of Disney World
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) signed a bill earlier this week to take control of Walt Disney World’s municipal services and development for the special district surrounding the park. DeSantis said the company “crossed the line” by opposing his "Don’t Say Gay" bill.
- DeSantis hopes that while the board handles infrastructure and maintenance, it also stops Disney from “inject[ing] woke ideologies.”
- Opponents say the bill seems to be a part of a growing feud between Disney and DeSantis. DeSantis has said he’s fighting the “woke indoctrination” of the company, including Disney’s move to require proof of vaccination, mandate masks to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and make changes to the park to promote diversity.
- Critics are stressing that DeSantis’ bill is an attempt to push his own ideological agenda and a dangerous step towards punishing entities that exercise their First Amendment right to criticize his positions.
Do you support DeSantis' bill?
Tennessee Bans Drag Shows
- Tennessee lawmakers recently passed a bill prohibiting drag performances in front of children at public and private venues.
- The bill is sponsored by Republican Rep. Chris Todd and was signed into law by Republican Governor Bill Lee. This is one of twenty such bills targeting drag performances that are being introduced in the U.S.
- The Tennessee House also passed a law restricting minors' access to gender-affirming health care, placing the state at the helm of a Republican-led effort across the nation to restrict LGBTQ+ rights.
Is Tennessee's bill unconstitutional? Tell the governor...
Spain Approves Menstrual Leave & Transgender Rights
- Spain approved legislation to expand abortion access for teenagers, transgender rights nationwide, and paid menstrual leave for workers.
- In a separate package, lawmakers strengthened transgender rights, allowing anyone over 16 to change their legally registered gender without medical approval.
- Teenagers between the ages of 12-13 will need a judge’s authorization, and those between 14 and 16 will need to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Before the new measure was introduced, transgender people needed a medical diagnosis for gender dysphoria.
- This package also bans conversion therapy and allows state-provided support for LGBTQIA+ women seeking IVF treatment.
Should more countries do the same?
FDA Eases ‘Outdated’ Restrictions on Blood Donations From Gay Men
- After years of protests from activists and blood bank workers, the FDA has proposed easing the restrictions on blood donations from gay and bisexual men who are in monogamous relationships, allowing them to donate blood for the first time since 1985.
- Under new guidelines announced by the FDA, gay and bisexual men will no longer have to abstain from sex to donate blood.
- Any individual, regardless of gender or sexual orientation, who has had anal sex with a new partner or multiple partners will have to wait three months before donating blood. The FDA’s revised approach focuses less on a person’s sexual identity and more on the sexual behaviors that increase the risk of HIV.
Contact the FDA with your reaction
Utah Bans Gender-Affirming Care for Transgender Youth
- Utah’s Governor Spencer Cox (R) has signed a bill that bans transgender youth from receiving gender-affirming health care.
- Senate Bill 16 prohibits surgery for all transgender youth and disallows hormone treatment for transgender minors who have not been professionally diagnosed with gender dysphoria.
- SB16 also requires the Department of Health and Human Services to conduct a review of the medical evidence of the efficacy of hormonal treatments for transgender patients.
The bill was sponsored by Utah Sen. Mike Kennedy (R), a family doctor who argues that government oversight is necessary to protect youth.
Should more states consider bans?
Biden Signs Respect for Marriage Act
- President Biden signed the Respect for Marriage Act into law in December 2022, protecting same-sex and interracial marriage in the U.S.
- Biden spoke before a crowd of thousands on the South Lawn of the White House, celebrating the new bipartisan landmark bill. He said:
"For most of our nation’s history, we denied interracial couples and same sex couples from these protections. It failed to treat them with equal dignity and respect. And now, this law requires an interracial marriage and same-sex marriage must be recognized as legal in every state in the nation...The road to this moment has been long, but those who believe in equality and justice – you never gave up."
- The new law negates the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, which defined marriage as between a man and a woman.
How do you feel about the Respect for Marriage Act?
BILL: National "Don't Say Gay" Bill
- Introduced by House Republicans, the "Stop the Sexualization of Children Act" prohibits using federal funds to develop, implement, or facilitate any program, event, or media that introduces gender identity, sexual orientation, or "related subjects" to children under the age of 10. It was inspired by Florida's controversial "Don't Say Gay" bill.
- A pediatric hospital could be sued for having a pride flag or a medical pamphlet about gender dysphoria.
- A library could be sued for having a drag-queen story hour and transgender workers could be fired for their identity.
- Bill advocates say that "woke gender ideology" in the classroom and gender transitions without the knowledge of and consent of parents prove an "alternative leftist agenda."
- Rep. Mike Johnson (R-LA) said:
"The Democrat Party and their cultural allies are on a misguided crusade to immerse young children in sexual imagery and radical gender ideology."
Do you support the Stop the Sexualization of Children Act?
Dairy Milk Consumption is at a Historic LowWhat's the story? A Food & Drug Administration (FDA) proposal will allow products made out of dairy alternatives to continue read more... Environment
Ban on Importing Trophy Animals to UK to Become LawWhat's the story? The British government has backed legislation to prevent trophy hunters from importing or bringing back body read more... Environment
Gov. DeSantis To Expand Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ BillWhat’s the story? Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) is moving towards expanding the controversial law known as the “Don’t Say Gay Bill” read more... Civil Rights
IT: Anti-semitic incidents hit record highs in 2022, and... Should Trump be arrested?Welcome to Friday, March 24, pastels and watercolors... What happened with Trump's rumored arrest this week? NYC prosecutors read more...
The people in the government have turned their backs on the trans people who live in the United States. We must stand up and let the lawmakers know we won't stand for this; we must stand together now. We need to stand together; otherwise, so many people will die. There is no excuse for not standing up and fighting directly.
It appears we have had it pretty good in America with personal freedoms. Now it seems like the right wing federalist are seeking to destroy our freedoms for dictatorship. Yes we still have our issues in this country. Mainly personal freedoms such as prejudices of color, nationality, religions, sexual, expression, assembly, privacy, speech. We are loosing these freedoms. What is their main goal? Why are they afraid of personal freedoms. We need to really research these individuals prior to casting your ballot. Are we turning into the land of wimps? Where we just standby and allow these federalist run our lives. We are the richest country in the world, made by every American. We should have no poverty, no discrimination, no homelessness, best education system costing very little. But then here comes folks who want power over the meek. Wanting to destroy the American Freedom. My only assumption is you just can't fix stupidity. It is running rampant in our country.
Arkansas and their cruel lying governor Sarah "Hellscape" Huckabee Sanders have decided to monitor school bathrooms to prevent transgender children from using the bathroom of their gender identity.
It's so good to see that Arkansas schools have the staff and resources to monitor restrooms and be sure that nobody gets to the freedom to use the restroom they identify with. I'm glad that all the parents and residents of Arkansas will feel safer now from the scourge of thousands of trans children using the wrong restroom.
More reason to never visit Arkansas.
Anti-LGBTQ is yet another example, like the antiabortion laws, of politicians in government imposing their religious beliefs on others and practicing medicine without a medical license.
Healthcare is private (and protected) between a doctor and patient. When underage (or incapacitated) between doctor and parents or guardians with patient assent.
Bills like SB 140 have no place in Georgia. They are a violations of privacy, bodily autonomy, and the rights of parents to make decisions for their children. Endless evidence supports that gender affirming care and support of Trans Children saves lives. Protect Trans Children! Vote no on DB140
This is really quite simple.
Our country affords people 'certain inalienable rights'. The only people who are denied some of those rights are those that willfully and improperly use their rights to take away, impede or interfere with the rights of others.
People in this context are all of the people protected by our laws and includes non-citizens and citizens alike, dfferent genders, different religious beliefs, different races, ethnicities, skin color, and also the diversity of members that make up the LBGTQ+ community.
Different groups of people may not like the beiiefs of 'others' but no group of people, none - especially groups of politicians bound by oath to the Constitution, has the right to take away the rights of others in their personal 'pursuit of happiness'. Only those that willfully act to take the rights of others to pursue their own 'happiness' need have their rights limited.
The right wing federalist society members not only push right wing judge, spout "radical new theories" and secession from the United States, anti-abortion, but also anti democracy and pushing authoritarian regimes dictatorship.
People are fools if you think the fasces federalist society is for democracy and freedom !!!
Remember how in 2022 all the Republicans were running on a platform of reducing crime, reducing inflation, securing the border, and lowering taxes?
Why is it that in 2023 there are more bills that are against LGBTQ+ people across this country than there are about any of those other issues which the American people seemed at least somewhat interested in?
Do the Republicans really think these bills are going to turn out enough votes to win again in 2024?
The anti-gay/trans policies are un-democratic and inhererntly wrong. Being gay/trans is not a choice and you can't pray or legislate it away, thus all these idiotic actions are doomed to fail and divert attention and energy away from other issues that are of more importance. Thus, our homophobic legislators need to direct their actions at matters that are more pressing rather than trying to impose their homophobic views on all people living in the US. The actions/behavior of the LBGTQ community is not harmful to others and quite frankly, I don't give a shit about who has sexual relations with who as long as it is not forced on unwilling participants, minors, those who cannot provide informed consent, or it includes violence. As long as all sexual activity of straight and homosexual individuals is carried out within those boundaries and is not conducted in public places then it really is no one else's business. So stay the hell out of it and let people live their lives as they see fit.
More children hurt by the top than the bottom. Hear me F'in Reps!
The rights of all people need to be protected! Allowing gender affirming care to these young people b gives them more time to figure out who they are, it also allows them to live with dignity. It is hard enough being a tras kid... without you're state telling you, you don't or should not exist!