BILL: Texas Shooting - Criminalize White Supremacist Hate Crimes? - Leading Against White Supremacy Act - H.R.61
Demand your reps take action on white supremacy
Updated on May 8, 2023
- Mauricio Garcia, a man with potential links to the far right, opened fire at a mall in Allen, Texas, outside of Dallas on Saturday, killing at least eight people and injuring seven.
- Garcia wore a clothing patch with the letters "RWDS," which federal authorities say stands for "Right Wing Death Squad." The phrase is popular among right-wing extremists and white supremacists.
- He used an AR-15-style rifle, which GOP House members have recently proposed designating as the National Rifle of America. The bill, introduced in February, wants to acknowledge the place of the AR-15 in American life and make it a national symbol.
- Biden called the tragedy "the latest act of gun violence to devastate our nation", and urged Congress to pass tougher gun laws.
- Texas's Republican Gov. Gregg Abbott is refusing to consider firearm bans, saying:
"People want a quick solution. The long term solution here is to address the mental health issue."
- This is not the first time Allen has been connected with a deadly hate crime. Patrick Wood Crusius, the man who killed 23 people during a rampage at an El Paso Walmart in 2019, lived in Allen at the time of the assault.
- Shortly before the shooting, he posted a racist manifesto online, citing the far-right "great replacement theory."
Updated on March 23, 2023
- An audit by the Anti-Defamation League shows that antisemitic discourse and incidents like assault reached record levels in 2022, up 36% from the year before.
- It is the third time in the last five years that the number of reported incidents was the highest on record since the ADL began tracking incidents in 1979.
- The ADL report describes 3,697 antisemitic incidents in 2022, with harassment rising by 29% and vandalism has increased by 51%.
- Their report shows that organized white supremacist groups were behind 852 of the incidents.
- Bomb threats against Jewish institutions increased from 8 incidents to 91.
- The five states that account for 54% of the total incidents include New York, California, New Jersey, Florida, and Texas.
- Some of these incidents can be linked to the "white replacement theory" that has been gaining mainstream traction.
- The ADL called the statistics:
“[A] grim reminder that anti-Semitism continues to infect our communities in real and pervasive ways.”
Updated on March 9, 2023
- A report published Wednesday by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) shows that white supremacist propaganda reached an all-time high in 2022, demonstrating a trend toward extremism over the past few years.
- White supremacist propaganda nearly doubled from 2019 to 2020, increasing more than 120% from 2018 to 2019 and 38% in 2021.
- The ADL's Center on Extremism identified 6,751 cases of white supremacist groups distributing material that promoted supremacy and bigotry, such as banners, posters, leaflets, and stickers. Anti-semitic propaganda more than doubled over 2021.
- While there are over 50 groups that the ADL is monitoring, 93% of the propaganda distribution was spread by Patriot Front, Goyim Defense League, and White Lives Matter.
- The Patriot Front, which is most active in Massachusetts, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, and Utah, is a virulently fascist and racist group that calls for the creation of a white ethnostate. They were responsible for 80% of the propaganda distributed in 2022.
- ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt said of the report:
"There's no question that white supremacists and antisemites are trying to terrorize and harass Americans and have significantly stepped up their use of propaganda as a tactic to make their presence known in communities nationwide."
H.R.61 - Leading Against White Supremacy Act of 2023
- Introduced by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) on January 9, 2023
- Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary: January 9, 2023
- House and Senate: Not yet voted
- President: Not yet signed
- The bill would prosecute white supremacy-influenced hate crimes and conspiracy to commit these crimes.
- The bill would amend Title 18, the federal criminal code, to expand the scope of hate crimes in light of a rise in violence associated with these groups, such as attacks on power stations.
- It also comes in light of the hate-fueled mass shooting that targeted Black Americans in Buffalo, N.Y. Months prior to the attack the shooter had published a manifesto online inspired by white supremacist rhetoric.
What's in the bill?
The bill would prosecute white supremacist-inspired hate crimes
The bill would strengthen legal actions against individuals involved in promoting, publishing, and spreading white supremacy-related content
- The bill would make it a federal crime to post something on social media that promotes hate and incites someone else to commit a crime.
- People who perpetuate hate speech online could face criminal charges even if they don’t act on their threats.
- A hateful message could be prosecuted under the bill if it is posted on social media where it is likely to be viewed by those "predisposed to engaging in any action in furtherance of a white supremacy inspired hate crime."
A crime can be considered a conspiracy even if there is only one perpetrator
- For the conspiracy addition to be fulfilled, only one person needs to have actually been involved in the commission of the crime.
- It will be considered a conspiracy if another person published the material that incited the perpetrator to act.
The Justice Department would have enhanced authority to mitigate threats
- The bill focuses on a proactive Department that can investigate and intercede when appropriate to mitigate or prevent an action from culminating in violent activity.
- The Uniform Crime Reporting Program in the Department of Justice will log and maintain records of white supremacy-inspired hate crimes.
- Lee amends Section 4702 of the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act (18 U.S.C. 249 note) with:
“Mass shootings and other hate crimes motivated by white supremacy have been increasing in frequency and intensity. These heinous and virulent crimes are inspired by conspiracy theories, blatant bigotry, and mythical falsehoods such as “replacement theory”. All instances must be prevented and severe criminal penalties must be applied to their perpetrators.”
- The Center for American Progress has argued that the rise in violent right-wing propaganda is the source of most of the domestic terrorism currently facing the country. This bill would target the hate at the source.
- Critics of the bill believe it is a violation of First Amendment free speech rights.
- George Washington University Law Professor Jonathan Turley has been an outspoken critic and believes the bill represents a culture-wide "erosion of free speech values".
"This is so flagrantly unconstitutional on so many levels from free speech to vagueness that it is actually impressive."
- Critics think it is unlikely Jackson Lee’s legislation will pass in the Republican-controlled chamber.
Demand your reps take action and commit to reducing white supremacist hate.
Climate Scientists Fleeing Twitter Amid HostilitiesWhat's the story? Under Elon Musk's leadership, Twitter is proving to be hostile toward climate change experts, leading several read more... Environment
Bernie Sanders Unveils Plan for a $17 Minimum WageWhat's the story? Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders has been actively promoting his call for a $17 minimum wage, arguing that read more... Economy
Gun Violence TrackerTake Action On Gun Violence Causes.com is your source for up-to-date information about gun violence and efforts to pass stricter read more... Public Safety
National Gun Violence Awareness Day: Highlighting the International ResponseEditor's note: Emma Kansiz is a writer for Causes.com. She grew up in Canada and currently lives in Mexico. Today is National read more... Advocacy
You cannot really answer this question without understanding the definition and meaning of ‘white supremacy’ and how ‘White Supremacist’ organizations are formed to act upon those beliefs.
White Supremacy is, by definition, the assertion that anyone that is non-white is inherently inferior and should be subordinate to whites, and that our laws and governance need to be based entirely upon the needs and desires of the the white skinned ‘master race’.
‘White Supremacist’ groups have formed to weaponize their beliefs with the same kind of ‘religious’ fury that Iran adapts with their ‘Shia Supremacists’ - to violently force their will upon others with their mantra of superiority and willingness to foment and act with extreme violence.
The recent attacks on power substations has been advocated by White Supremacist groups as a way to initiate a cascading national power failure and cause a governmental collapse that they alone can overcome to restore ‘white’ established order - because they believe that they alone are superior, and that our governance will fail due to the inability of it’s ‘infection’ by non-white (and jewish) influence.
Hate crimes fomented by or enacted by White Supremacist groups are inherently much more dangerous than other hate crimes conducted by individuals, because they are part of a broader and very dangerous political ideology. These crimes are not only a threat to specific individuals, they are a threat to our country’s governance and the basic tenants of our legal system that purports to treat all people equally.
White Supremacist groups sponsor hate-based violence that is normalized and justified by their belief that their selected ‘others’ are simply not worthy. These crimes need special attention because they are representative of a dangerous political ideology.
I can't say it any better than Billy did. Any form of Hate vocalized should be a crime. No matter if it is against religion, color, ethnicity, gender, political beliefs, abortion, pro life, pro choice, etc. it is okay to have your opinion, but it should never harm or hinder anyone.
"Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech..." This bill does just that and is therefore unconstitutional.
The government cannot criminalize thoughts or ideas in a free society. We have many laws prohibiting discrimination in many forms.
HR 61: Leading Against White Supremacy Act of 2023 (118th Congress) is a continuation of HR 7955 Leading Against White Supremacy Act of 2022 (from the 117th Congress) criminalizing certain forms of hate speech, so that white supremacist online could be prosecuted for hate crimes even if they don't act on their threats, which previously had 8 cosponsors but never came up for a vote so resubmitted to the 118th Congress.
Critics like Boebert claim the it infringes on free speech, and removes the ability to “criticize”
In my opinion, based on the DOJ definition of hate crimes, this bill should also include other biases Ike all races, religions, national origins, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
“hate crimes laws…cover.. crimes committed on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or disability. The Department of Justice began prosecuting federal hate crimes cases after the enactment of the Civil Rights Act of 1968. “
Categories of speech that are given lesser or no protection by the First Amendment (and therefore may be restricted) include obscenity, fraud, child pornography, speech integral to illegal conduct, speech that incites imminent lawless action, speech that violates intellectual property law, true threats, and commercial speech such as advertising. Defamation that causes harm to reputation is a tort and also an exception to free speech.
Hate speech is not a general exception to First Amendment protection. Per Wisconsin v. Mitchell, hate crime sentence enhancements do not violate First Amendment protections because they do not criminalize speech itself, but rather use speech as evidence of motivation, which is constitutionally permissible.
Along with communicative restrictions, less protection is afforded to uninhibited speech when the government acts as subsidizer or speaker, is an employer, controls education, or regulates the mail, airwaves, legal bar, military, prisons, and immigration.
Main articles: Incitement, Sedition Act of 1918, Abrams v. United States, and Smith Act
The Supreme Court has held that "advocacy of the use of force" is unprotected when it is "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action" and is "likely to incite or produce such action"."
Know what the Constitution protects & what it doesn't.
We should criminalize hate crimes against any individual.
while this is calling out one type of hate crime, it would be respectful to call out all hate crimes. This includes hate against Asians, whites, Jews, obese, anorexic, animals, sex, religion, pro choice or pro life, breathing or buried.
if every time someone says something hurtful the other is charged with a crime, we will all be videoing life and the only way not to be in trouble is to not speak or do anything. Twitter users, Facebook users and congress would be immediately jailed along with every president to have been elected. Don't you dare tell your partner they look fat or skinny because that is hateful.
It is not that I advocate hate from anyone, but we really need to have strict parameters applied equally across everyone to define the crime. If not, hate is subjective in many cases and this will be used as a weapon
White Supremecy can be conquered. It has to be dealt with eye for an eye justice. Death penalty for all in a planned murder and so on. That's also why I must mention our #2 enemy global warming who we are ignoring. We keep giving our more fuel like we surrendered to it. If we're all dying and the greedy politicians are getting paid to pass laws to make the rich richer and be our kings and queens, then we better hurry up and smash the corporate maggots that have fleeced our economy for their entertainment. #Justice
Domestic terrorism is a serious issue that has been fueled by extremism. The cockroaches no longer run when the light is turned on because "leaders" spread hate and make people feel empowered and justified to harm other groups.
To move toward a safer society there needs to be consequences for hate groups.
Over the years in America White Supremacy has increased greatly, from ideologies to actual crimes being taken place such as mass shootings. From my perspective most of the mass shootings have been about removing a certain race such as the buffalo mass shooter who I believe wanted or his purpose was to wipe out the black community. Hate speech should not be tolerated in America, it has no place for it here. All hate speech should be considered a crime.
Given our current and past racist behavior and attitudes, this is a no brained.
Please vote NO
You can't yell Fire in a theater nor should you be allowed to spread hate speech demonizing a particular group. They can both lead to violence or harm to others.
Criminalizing any speech is a slippery slope and will lead to censorship and punishment of political dissidents just because certain political groups don't like what another person is saying.
YES!!!! Our country needs to be better than the damn white nationalist/extremist who hate any group that is "different" from their narrow-minded, demented views of what they think America should look like. I hate to burst their bubbles, but Americn has never looked like their definition of what American looks like.
You need to pass HR 61 and get it signed into law. White supremacists have and are causing havoc and murder in our country. Groups like the Proud boys must be prosecuted and designated as terrorists as should the Neo Nazis. In Europe any thing that is reminiscent of Hitler's regime such as flags, gestures etc are illegal. They should be illegal in this country as well.
BAN ALL HATE CRIME!
Not only should we take action on white supremacy but also against those who stoke it!
The trans supremacist that shot up a Christain school manifesto should be made public and we should condem trans supremacist as well. I don't know a single white supremacist but see trans supremacist daily.
Homegrown White Supremacists are the largest current problem!
Every human is 99.9% equal, and I'm tired of hate groups! We need to pass a law that any hate crime is severly punished! The only way to stop these hate based actions is to make the consequence for it harsh, so no one will want to do it!! I'm appalled that the Governor of Texas wants to pardon the person who ran down people with his car! I'm tired of mass shootings, which all have been hate based crimes! It's past time that human grew up!! These hate crimes are based on old tribal behaviors that should no longer exist! I'm asking with all my heart that a law be passed to end these crimes! We don't need anymore deaths to take action! If the Republicans won't back this, then let it be known far and wide!
White supremacists are the 21st century equivalent of the Nazi brownshirts of the 1930s. They seek th deny the civil (Constitutional) rights of anyone who does not look like them. They will scream that prosecution for hate crimes and hate speech infringes on their freedom of speech, but with rights comes responsibilities, and they are totally irresponsible.
Please vote in favor of the Leading Against White Supremacy Act of 2023.
The increase we have seen in white supremacist hate crimes, and propaganda, is putting many human lives in serious danger.
Voting in favor of this bill would both protect these human lives and help our country stand for diversity and inclusion, instead of racism and hate.
Just from the sound of it would lead to a quelling of the genocidal madness the rich have somehow forced into the minds of their constituents. They lie for profit and everyone knows laws pass and they pass by the thousands and we don't know what's going on and why or leaders don't backlash and use us to protest and oust those who would endanger our lives and future. It's very devious. Devious to the point of a new department to be created for to keep the balances of power in America to be with oversight. Without oversight or denigrating or shall I say republic Democrat founders warned of this. That if we let the politicians be bought by the rich, it will ruin us. So simple because there were two sides, one said slavery and the other said rights for their fellow Americans and eventually when the world stood together we ended slavery. There's slavery where they can get away with it in this world by all oligarchs and capitalists corporate organizations that creates a mob state and police state mixed with oligarchy. You can call it plutocracy. Why won't senator Feinberg step down. What is she, a Satanist. Why me? Somebody make a law to cut from office a wolf in sheep's clothing, a republican pretending to be a Democrat. All these fake democrats do like Bill Clinton is be a republican in disguise. No punishment, none of that for the treasonous last 5 republican presidents, no no, none of that. Let's just go forward they say and put that in the past. Because they were brought up segregated and racist they're dangerous. Now one class I was in asked my nationality and I said Mexican and he said I was Chinese and we were gonna fight the Chinese on the rooftops and I was gonna be the first to starve to death. Then the kids of that class looked around at each other and agreed. Now when you got guys like Alex Jones saying he'd eat a black person before his daughter gets hungry it reminded me of the madness within white people to be genocidal. Even as science says... they ignore it and history they hate only so long as they can repeat it. Just to say, I went to kindergarten with the understanding that we'd all be brotherly and sisterly but school was anything but. I never even got invited to a birthday party. It's how you're raised, with God or without. I am Christian glad to share to testify only because I have to. I ask receive and I thank God, I owe God every minute. I'm sure my dear of the lord had everything to do with it. The Noah history scared the hell out of me. It was God's power that scared me. He is the judge and he's done it many many times. The Republican party has one goal to rewrite the constitution of the rich by the rich for the rich crisis is upon us. These republican traitors who belong in jail for pushing election lies and now we're stuck with a chunk of Americans up to 25% believing republican and Trump lies and treachery as they more than welcome the coming of the antichrist. Ladies and gentle men please be so kind to remember Bernie Sanders for the most votes because he wanted to put everyone to work and most importantly open rehabs everywhere to end the toxic epidemic. Stop killing people. God's going to punish you. Stop torturing us! Capitalism is bad! Reaganomics was the worst choice ever in the entire world history! We want accountability for fakesters like Tucker Carlson, Supreme Court Justices, Bush and Cheney, presidents&maggots, senators and congress people. I mean all you thieves have just eaten our government alive. You obey the rich and money. You failed us. Dick Durbin I hear you got the power to shut down racist or idiotic blue chips. The blue chips are to block a judicial appointee for no reason at all. The Republicans use them and when the democracy have power they can't use the blue chips. Dick Durbin I hope you're blocking their blue chips or them you're just a maggot traitor republican! End the electoral college you maggots! Get governor pritzker to get on the ball!!
We must take action on white supremacy
So tucker is going to thrive on Twitter and spew more lies / right wing propaganda / misinformation and elon will not only allow that but bask in his limelight?