Mass Shooting Injures Six at High School in Oakland, CA
Join us and spread the word to your community
Updated September 30, 2022
- The search for at least two shooters continues in Oakland after what police called a "gang-related incident" took place on the King Estate campus.
- The six victims include two students, a counselor, a security guard, and two other campus employees, Oakland Police Chief LeRonne Armstrong said during a Thursday press conference. Two are in critical condition, one is in stable condition, and the others have been released from the hospitals.
- Armstrong said:
"We believe that this is related to ongoing conflicts in our city that have driven violence throughout our city and we'll continue to follow up on leads to identify those responsible."
What’s the story?
- A mass shooter injured six adults at the King Estate of Rudsdale Newcomer High School in East Oakland on Wednesday afternoon.
- Police are searching for at least one shooter, said Assistant Chief Darren Allison of the Oakland Police Department. Officers conducted a “methodical” search of the school for evidence. Authorities are unsure whether the shooting was a random or targeted incident.
- Allison declined to say whether the victims were students or teachers but emphasized that all victims had an affiliation with the school.
- The King Estate campus, where the shooting occurred, houses Rudsdale Continuation and Newcomer high schools, Tech Charter School, and the Sojourner Truth Independent Study headquarters. The campus is closed today as the search for the gunman continues.
- The victims were taken to Highland Hospital in Oakland and Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley. As of Wednesday afternoon, two had life-threatening injuries, two were expected to be released, one had non-life threatening injuries, and one was discharged.
- -John Sasaki, an Oakland Unified school district spokesperson, said in a statement that the district does not have any further information than what the police are reporting. Sasaki, Allison, and Gov. Gavin Newsom condemned the violence. Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf tweeted:
Gun violence in Oakland
- In August, a 13-year-old student was shot and injured after a 12-year-old's gun went off accidentally, making yesterday's event the second Oakland school schooling in the past few weeks. After eight homicides last week, experts believe that Oakland is suffering a wave of violence within an extended gun violence crisis.
- Gun violence was decreasing in Oakland for about eight years after being ranked in the top ten most violent cities in the U.S. for decades. The numbers shot back up during the pandemic, and by 2021 the city had experienced its deadliest year since 2006.
- The Oakland Police Department announced that more officers will be allocated to combat gun violence around the region. However, community activists say that the best way to combat violence is through meeting the community’s needs, not increased police deployment.
- In August, a group of violence prevention advocates held a press conference in front of City Hall to draw attention to the spike in gun violence in Oakland. The organizers implored residents to not become desensitized to violent crime in their city and called upon city officials to take more action against gun violence.
This story will continue to be updated.
(Photo credit: Twitter/@abc7newsbayarea)
NJ State Attorney Takes Control of Police DepartmentWhat's the story? New Jersey Attorney General Matthew J. Platkin has assumed direct control of the day-to-day operations of the read more... Criminal Justice Reform
Mexico's President Backs Peace Agreement with CartelsWhat's the story? Mexico's President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has publicly supported an open letter to 10 organized crime read more... Law Enforcement
Minnesota Launches First Office for Missing and Murdered Black WomenWhat's the story? This year, Minnesota enacted a law creating the nation's first Office of Missing and Murdered African American read more... Criminal Justice Reform
IT: 🌈 Pride Month begins, and... Are your reps doing enough about climate injustice?Welcome to Thursday, June 1st, LGBTQIA+ members & allies... June is Pride Month, a time for LGBTQIA+ communities and their read more...
We Need Gun Control!
The Second Amendment Fanatics Must Be Characterized As Child Murderers.
These individuals are the cream of the crop cowards. They think they are real men. It is sad that we have more than enough gun laws. But law enforcements hands are tied to really enforce them. Our background checks system is a failure. Gun sales legal or illegal is a failure. Gangs need to be stopped, law enforcement needs to be able to exercise our gun and gang related laws. Our judicial system needs to enforce punishment to the crime.
Last year there were 692 Mass Shootings. And this year is on track to surpass that. The United States is unique in this. There is no other wealthy country that comes anywhere close to this outrageous tragedy. The difference between the USA and the rest of the developed world is they all have reasonable gun laws which they enforce.
Yet another school mass shooting, Who would have thought it even possible with all of the thoughts and prayers left in the wake of all the former school mass shootings?
Oh yeah, that would be the NRA and he Republican Cartel who mandates the protection of an unborn fetus from even the saving of the mother's life, but is happy to sacrifice them as children and young adults to be used as target practice for any misgruntled person whoi can easily acquire a high rate of fire, high muzzle velocity, large capacity magazine, highly lethal weapon designed to fend off an invading army.
The stupidity of divisive partisan politics and the unrestrained influence of wealthy people and wealthy business sectors on our legislators and governance has got to end, The purveyors of willful disinformation for political expediency or for-profit incitement of their targeted audiences has got to be stopped or greatly constrained.
If this asininity is not stopped and soon, there are only two possible outcomes for our country. Either we become a full fledged fascist autocracy, where people are told what they are permitted to think, or we will see an increasingly severe civil unrest on the verge of pusjhing our country toward yet another bloody civil war.
The shooting took place around 12:45pm at Rudsdale Newcomer High School, which serves recent immigrants ages 16-21 who have fled violence and instability in their home countries, according to the school’s website
3 of the wounded were taken to Highland Hospital in Oakland, while the other 3 were taken to Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley. 3 people remained hospitalized Wednesday evening, 2 with life-threatening injuries, while1 person had been released and 2 others were expected to be released soon.
The victims are all adults affiliated with the school. One news report identified 2 carpenters, another a security guard (BayTech School posted to Instagram Wednesday night identifying one of the victims as the school's security guard), and one said a victim’s family said there was a student shot as well.
A parent told NBC Bay Area tensions have been building at the campus for months, saying a student was stabbed and pistol whipped on campus a month ago.
My guess at this point - a disgruntled former employee and/or with anti-immigrant sentiments + pro-gun.
Oakland is a dump, gangster controlled city. It's also a sanctuary city for illegal migrants. The city is covered in filth and has a huge drug addicted population that are homeless. The democrats have run this city into oblivion like other gang invested cities. Oakland cut the police force and crime has gotten worse and worse. Oakland is a very dangerous city. It's not safe at all. To make matters worse, it has a no bail system where criminals are free to go. Oakland has been in Democratic hands for decades and this is what happens when you liberal laws for drug addicts and crime. The police can't even hire anyone because it's too dangerous when their hands are tied because of democratic laws. I've been there recently and its a mess. Thank you Mayor Libby Schaff and Governor Newsome. California has lost the war.
I also note that this happens just days after we were debating routine anxiety screenings for adults, where many people seemingly didn't think mental health care in this country was required.
I don't think mental illness is the cause of all these shootings, but again we see that many in this country don't seem to want to provide that type of care just in case it is.
There are many root causes of violence like this, and more guns in more hands is not the answer.
Towns like Oakland need to invest more in community programs that reduce the propensity of people to want to get guns and cause violence.
I support reponsible policing, but that's not the answer to all of our problems, and we need a mulit-prong approach.
Let's use more resources across the board to improve communities and reduce gun violence.
This a day to celebrate, if you're a wholly-owned GOP gun fetishist like Cult45 is.
Right, scumbags? Are you cheering over the shooters' freedom to exercise his 2nd amendment rights?