Watch & Comment: January 6th Committee Holds Public Hearing in Primetime
How do you feel about the January 6th committee hearing?
- The Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol held a primetime hearing Thursday night.
- The hearing featured a number of audio and video clips of former President Donald Trump’s advisors going through depositions.
- Those clips included Attorney General William Barr saying he told then-President Donald Trump his claims about election fraud were “bulls---”; Ivanka Trump, the former president’s daughter, saying she believed Barr’s statements that there wasn’t widespread voter fraud; and Jared Kushner, Trump’s advisor and son-in-law, saying that White House counsel threatening to resign over Trump’s efforts to overturn the election amounted to “whining”.
- Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-MS) and Vice Chair Liz Cheney (R-WY) were the only members of the panel to speak during the hearing. Thompson said in his opening remarks, “January 6 was the culmination of an attempted coup. A brazen attempt, as one rioter put it shortly after January 6, ‘to overthrow the government.’” Cheney said that during the course of the January 6th riot, President Trump never called on any federal agency to secure the Capitol and that it was Vice President Pence attempting to do so.
- Thompson and Cheney were also the only members to ask questions of the committee’s two witnesses, Capitol Police Officer Caroline Edwards and filmmaker Nick Questad. Edwards suffered a concussion and was pepper-sprayed during the Capitol riot. Questad was filming a documentary with the Proud Boys as they marched to storm the Capitol, and some of the footage that was aired publicly for the first time tonight was recorded by him.
- A clip from Questad's film captured Edwards being knocked down by the mob and hitting her chin on a handrail and the back of her head on concrete steps, which knocked her unconscious.
- The select committee’s next hearing will be at 10 a.m. Monday, June 13th. It will be focused on the unsubstantiated claims of widespread election fraud made by Trump in the lead-up to January 6th. The third hearing, which will be held on June 15th, will focus on efforts by Trump to replace Dept. of Justice leadership after they refused to use the agency’s authority to try to sow doubt about the legitimacy of the election.
- The date of the fourth hearing is yet to be announced, although it will focus on the pressure campaign President Trump and his allies mounted against Vice President Pence. In all, there will be seven total hearings, and the final two will be about Trump summoning his supporters and instructing them to march on the Capitol.
The original pre-hearing article appears below.
What’s the story?
- The Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol is set to hold a primetime hearing Thursday night at 8 p.m. Eastern.
- Thursday’s hearing is expected to feature new video and audio of the Capitol riot, along with evidence showing a “coordinated, multistep effort” led by then-President Donald Trump to overturn the results of the 2020 election amid his unproven claims of widespread election fraud. A select committee aide told NBC will the hearing will “change history”.
- It's expected to include a focus on the days leading up to the January 6th riot, which interrupted the certification of the Electoral College, and may include clips from depositions the committee has conducted.
- The hearing is expected to last about an hour and a half, and the select committee retained a former ABC News executive for production help, so the viewing experience may be slightly different than the typical congressional hearing seen on C-SPAN.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said Thursday at a press conference that members of the select committee “have been hard at work doing their patriotic duty to seek the truth, and we will see that revealed.” Pelosi went on to say that she has “kept my distance” from the committee since it began its work, and explained what her expectations are for the hearing:
“I believe that tonight will be sort of an opening of the narration - the narrative of what happened as an assault on our Democracy, on our Constitution, on our Capitol, on our Congress in a very violent way for a specific purpose: to undermine the Constitution of the United States on a day set aside for the peaceful transfer of power.”
- Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) spoke at a press conference Thursday and called the select committee “the most political and least legitimate committee in American history.” He also criticized two of the Democrats on the select committee, Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-MS) and Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) for objecting to election results in 2005 and 2017, and added:
“The future of our nation rests on the ability of Americans to trust our political system, to have safer streets, to have affordable food and gas, and to have confidence that elected officials are listening to real concerns. Democrats are using January 6 to avoid accountability for making the nation less safe and less prosperous.”
- McCarthy is one of the five lawmakers who has been subpoenaed by the select committee. The others are Reps. Jim Jordan (R-OH), Scott Perry (R-PA), Andy Biggs (R-AZ), and Mo Brooks (R-AL).
- The select committee’s investigation has also led to several individuals being held in contempt of Congress for refusing to comply with subpoenas for information. Former Trump advisors Steve Bannon and Peter Navarro were indicted by the Dept. of Justice (DOJ) due to the contempt charges, while the DOJ declined to prosecute Mark Meadows and Dan Scavino.
- The January 6th select committee has been a source of controversy since its inception in the summer of 2021. Earlier efforts to form a 9/11-style independent commission fell apart after Democrats wanted to retain the power to appoint all of its staffers and Republicans blocked the bill in the Senate.
- That led the House to create the select committee and Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) appointed Democrats plus Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY), who had been an outspoken critic of Trump’s efforts to undermine the legitimacy of the election.
- Pelosi then rejected two of McCarthy’s GOP picks for the committee ― Reps. Jim Banks (R-IN) and Jim Jordan (R-OH) ― which was contrary to prior precedent in the House.
- The speaker then added Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) to the committee, which then began its work with just her selections on the committee.
- AG Garland Delivers Update on Criminal Prosecutions of January 6th Capitol Rioters (1/5/22)
- Select Committee Hears Testimony From Police Officers Who Defended Capitol During January 6th Riot (7/27/21)
- Speaker Pelosi Adds Adam Kinzinger to January 6th Select Committee (7/26/21)
- Pelosi Rejects Two of McCarthy’s Picks for January 6th Select Committee (7/21/21)
- McCarthy Announces GOP Picks for January 6th Select Committee (7/19/21)
- Pelosi Picks Democrats & Liz Cheney for January 6th Select Committee (7/1/21)
- Senate Committees Release Bipartisan Report Detailing Intelligence & Security Failures Related to January 6th Capitol Riot (6/8/21)
- Senate Republicans Block Bill to Establish Commission to Investigate January 6th Attack (5/28/21)
- House Passes Bill Establishing Independent Commission to Investigate January 6th Capitol Attack (5/19/21)
— Eric Revell
(Photo Credit: Tyler Merbler via Flickr / Creative Commons
Cut Emissions To Save Lives and Catastrophe, Urgently Warns New UN Climate ReportWhat’s the story? A new climate report from the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says the planet is on read more... Environment
Watch & Comment: TikTok CEO Testifies Before the House Energy and Commerce CommitteeWhat's the story? On March 22, TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew is due to appear before Congress to testify on the app's consumer privacy read more... China
Biden Urges Congress to Pass Legislation Regulating BanksWhat’s the story? President Biden has asked Congress to pass legislation granting financial regulators new powers to enforce read more... Deficits & Debt
Lunchables Will Soon Be Sold in School CafeteriasWhat’s the story? Lunchables will be sold in school cafeterias starting this fall as the product is updated to comply with read more... Families
Superb opening statements.
Superb video time timeline mix.
Great plan to package information into ckear and compelling 'chunks'.
These thugs and seditionists who broke into our Capitol and assaulted police deserve whatever punishment they get. None of them are victims.
Prosecute and punish.
As a side note, not a single police officer was killed by rioters that day. ZERO! Only one person was shot to death and that was Ashley Babbitt, by a capital police officer that had no reason to kill her.
Was January 6th wrong - Yes; was it violent - yes, but to be honest, I am still awaiting the big revelations they said were coming. Outside a little more video on the activity, there really wasn't anything I haven't seen or heard before.
I was dissappointed that the lack of security was not addressed especially since the intel was there regarding the Proud Boys and alike were going to be there. Would also like to know the details about the woman who was shot. Perhaps it will be in the following hearings, although I doubt it.
Waste is the one thing that they actually accomplish in Washington and do well. This committee exemplifies their talent, taking waste to another level. Two years later, the drama continues and they still haven't bothered to look up the definition of "coup". If they had, they would know that is NOT what occurred Jan 6th. One of the requirements for a successful coup is military support and that was not part of this picture. Tossing that word around does make for real good drama to be played out, though. I don't know how they are able to pull this off with a straight face, given the complete joke that it is. Just when you think they couldn't get any more stupid than they already were, they surprise you with something like this committee.
Why are the Republicans already trying to condemn these hearings before they started? If it's not important, what are they afraid of?
Why isn't Fox Entertainment showing it on their main channel? If it's not relevant, why did they cancel it?
There's lots to see and it's too bad they're all too afraid to hear and see the truth. But the rest of us will be sure to tell them.
Extremely thorough! I appreciate that the insurrectionists themselves spoke to finger that cowardly traitor the orange mussolini! Fiddling while Rome burned and people died!
Compelling testimony (Bill Barr, Ivanka Trump, Capitol police) and video (Capitol security cameras, British documentary filmmaker, Nick Quested embedded in Proud Boys) laying out the plan of what the hearing plans to prove.
Reminiscent of “Four Hours at the Capitol” which lays out the timeline using 1st hand accounts from a Proud Boy who narratives the film he shot, interviews Capitol Police and Congressional members but with far more detail as more participants provide testimony.
Gaining a clearer picture of what happened even though I saw events unfold in news feeds on several networks the day of.
All BS and you democrats know it.Thanks for wasting my hard earned tax money. You people are so corrupt and useless you couldn't run a dam popcorn wagan let along run a country.What are you dreaming up to keep power come November because we the people are sick of your bs and we will send you looking for a new job.
All that have paid attention and stick to facts know there need be no new revelations to understand and prove that Trump knowingly pushed lies about election fraud, knowing he lost the election, secretly set up un-constitutional fake sets of electors to overturn the results, that his supporters stormed the Capitol (in a coordinated way) to stop the certification and force Pence to accept these false electors so Trump would remain in power. And when Pence would not do so, to go hang him. They know that setting up fake electors in secret means those who did this knew it was illegal. They know that when Trump’s supporters asked for pardons prior, his supporters knew what they were doing was illegal. Simply, Trump and his supporters tried to over throw the US government and Constitution. Anything new from these hearings will be to make connections and tie up loose ends to show justification for legal action. That said, it is crucial that these hearings shine light on the dis-information that all too many still believe, that this was political discourse, nothing big and unfortunately, I don’t see anything that will change the minds of the all too many Jan 6th deniers .
Inflation out of Control, the White House has said it is out of possible fixes ( not my problem "Joe" reports). Senator Stabenau of Michigan bought a $60,000 dollar electric vehicle to beat the pump prices.
These prices are directly related to policies and actions taken by this Administration to hinder transportation( pipelines), delay permitting, limit oil exploration, leases, the Congress planned attack on Fossil Fuel financing.
But this Democrat lead House has time to to investigate Jan.6th but not call Speaker Pelosi, or her Master at Arms who was requested for Law Enforcement to have additional troops and staff ready and she denied it(?)! Bethcha that is not part of the primetime Star Chamber.
If the numerous crimes committed by dumbkopf supported by overwhelming evidence do not meet a high bar for prosecution then 80% of incarcerated should be absolved and set free!
what a waste of billions in direct and indirect cost due to damage done by one idiot but supported and empowered by many
history will remember us as the dumbest ever!
shame on congress
shame on scotus
shame on the doj
Follow The Money:
The Big Lie? The Bigger Grift
The committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot said that former President Donald Trump’s campaign fundraised off of baseless allegations of election fraud but spent very little of the money on legal action.
• The committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot said that former President Donald Trump’s campaign fundraised off of baseless allegations of election fraud but spent very little of the money on legal action.
• During the hearing, a senior investigative counsel for the committee said that Trump supporters received upward of 25 emails a day urging them to donate to an election defense fund that did not exist
Going Beyond January 6th:
Cataloging Trump's Misdeeds–A Brief Online Perusal.
Given the January 6th Public Hearings Let's Review a few of the Online Catalogs of Mr. Trump's multitudinous Misdeeds
"Lest We Forget the Horrors: A Catalog of Trump’s Worst Cruelties, Collusions, Corruptions, and Crimes: The Complete Listing: Atrocities 1 – 1,056 - McSweeney’s Internet Tendency"
"The Many Scandals of Donald Trump: A Cheat Sheet - The Atlantic"
"An Exit Survey of Trump's Constitutional Misdeeds | Cato Institute"
"Analysis | Trump’s false or misleading claims total 30,573 over 4 years
"A four-year Fact Checker project comes to an end."
By Glenn Kessler, Salvador Rizzo and Meg Kelly
And, There's more to be found!
The Election Fraud Grift
$60,000 To Kimberly Guilfoyle: Jan. 6 Lawmaker Claims Trump’s Family Benefitted From Voter Fraud Fundraising.
Former President Donald Trump’s advisor—and his eldest son’s fiancée—received a five-figure payment to speak at a raucous rally near the White House on January 6, a member of the House January 6 committee said.Read in Forbes: https://apple.news/AUj29HjSySIyUZzbR_ZGjMQ
Second day of mini series. Watched the whole thing on Fox News. The focus seemed to be mostly on Bill Barr, lawyers and election specialists close to Trump. Can't remember titles. But seems Bill Barr was the star today. I've always thought he was an honest logical man. I know many don't, but I do. Adam Schift on the other hand is the one that bothers me. Always has. Everyone on this panel feels so fair and confident of all of there evidence. I assume they must all be in agreement ahead of time of what evidence they would show to the American people. It is a production after all. It's disgusting to me how a man like Adam Schift is on this panel in the first place. It's also confusing to me how Adam Schift could believe what Bill Barr says. Especially when just a couple years ago he said he was the second most dangerous man in America. That was after Bill Barr said he saw nothing that suggested Trump's election in 2016 was illegitimate. After that allegation how can he believe him now. It must be for the greater good. Right? Then again, that's just the kind of person they want on the panel.
The 'republicans', self described 'conservatives', right wing etc etc have lost all standing or credibility simply for one thing - empowering ONE complete jerk self serving con & criminal scumbag.
dont we have more critical issues to address, problems to solve than stroke the ego of one dumbkopf. you have to be truly brain dead to participate. he did NOTHING for this country or the world except spread hate and divide. he needs to be prosecuted for treason and dealt with as per law.
"Barr even went out of his way to criticize "2,000 Mules," the film created by right-wing activist Dinesh D'Souza, a convicted felon who claims that the 2020 election was stolen. (In a deposition clip played Monday, Barr laughed off the film and said it was "completely lacking" in evidence.)"
I replied to "I find it obnoxious and likely not coincidental that Causes has decided to bury the January...
I think seemingly "buried" topics are just one aspect of failed design.
Kristen, you do know you can follow others, right?
Happy Monday! Today's focus for the panel is the BIG LIE.
"Donald Trump’s insistence that he won was tied to the baseless claim that widespread voter fraud in that year’s race for the White House was so prevalent it overturned his victory. This was not true. State auditors as well as members of Trump’s own administration, including his attorney general and members of the intelligence community, said as much publicly and, as we will see more of today, privately."
The January 6th Committee Hearings are nothing but a Democrat witch hunt to satisfy their woke agenda. The Federal Government should send the DNC a bill for all of the taxpayer cost for this sham along with the Mueller probe as the purpose of both is DNC politcal advertising via the Main Stream Media.
Bring the truth out now!
Donald Trump should face charges for treason.
I hope that the Justice Department takes serious action and indictments result against Trumpelforeskin, and his cronies!!💙
About time! A Mountain of clear evidence points to Trump being guilty. The remaining hearings will likely anchor the guilty weight.
I believe the DOJ team will be watching all the hearings. These hearings likely will prompt the DOJ team to act on the guilty person: Trump. He deserves to go to prison.
At the very least, just one hearing likely will prevent Trump from running for any government offices. Remaining hearings...hmm 'nuff said.
steve bannon dares garland to indict dumbkopf and threatens to impeach him as republicans expect to win 2022
i say bring it on - let the country be defined once and for all
"...you have a party which now claims to be on the side of law enforcement and the police and yet are turning a total blind eye to the most vicious, massive assault on police officers any of us has ever seen in our lifetime."
"It's pretty clear,“ Raskin continued. "Donald Trump was hellbent on staying in office regardless of what the American people had to say about it. He promoted the Big Lie. They propagandized people with the Big Lie and then he engaged in this multi-step conspiracy to try to destroy [President] Joe Biden's lawful majority in the Electoral College, culminating on January 6th, where they unleashed terrible mob violence against our police officers."
I know we all are worried about inflation, gas prices, food prices, etc. and those are understandable concerns but we must not forget on how fragile our democracy was that day when it was almost overturned along with the 2020 election. The Retrumplicans want to forget about it as best as they can but we can't forget on what happened that day.
"Several of Kavanaugh’s drinking buddies, including his former roommate, were willing to testify under oath that Kavanaugh committed perjury during his confirmation hearings. Among other things, they all agree that Kavanaugh was frequently blacked out from drinking. They were denied the opportunity to do so by the FBI and the Republican-led confirmation hearings."
Did you catch that, fascists? They were not allowed to testify by the tfg's Republicans.
It's all smoke and mirrors. I have NO doubt this was all orchestrated by the Left. They knew there would be millions of protesters, yet provided minimal security. Pelosi knew!!
WE THE PEOPLE ARE ANGRY! We need to drain the swamp of these corrupt politicians. Look at Hilary and the Russian collusion. She should be in jail!
Our country was betrayed by Pres Trump, and his followers, and his supporters in government. Their crimes must be brought to light, and they must be proseciuted, and punished accordungly.