Congress Returns as Senate Dems Take Up Abortion Rights, Bipartisan Postal Reform & House Considers Veterans’ Healthcare
How do you feel about this week’s congressional schedule?
What’s happening in Congress?
- Congress is set to return from its Presidents’ Day recess on Monday, with Senate Democrats prepared to hold votes on their party's abortion rights bill and a bipartisan Postal Service reform bill and the House taking up legislation expanding healthcare for veterans who were exposed to toxic substances.
- The floor schedule in both chambers may change due to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- The Senate convenes Monday when it’s scheduled to hold a pair of procedural votes that could open the door to extended debate or amendment votes on the underlying bills.
- First, Democrats will bring up a House-passed bill to preempt state abortion laws and codify a right to abortion into law. It’s expected to fall short of the legislative filibuster’s 60 vote threshold needed for debate to continue.
- Monday’s second procedural vote is on a bipartisan bill to reform the U.S. Postal Service’s operations and improve its financial position.
- It’s possible that the Senate may move to consider legislation related to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, or that other legislative items or nominations may be considered over the course of the week.
- Committees will hold hearings on global security challenges and strategy; federal support for preventing and responding to carjackings; and implementation of the bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act.
- The House meets Monday when it’s scheduled to consider up to eight bills under the fast-track “suspension of the rules” process, which requires a two-thirds majority for passage.
- Monday’s docket includes bills to make lynching a federal crime that’s distinct from other applicable crimes (like murder or hate crime statutes) and a bill to ban discrimination based on hair texture or hairstyle in federal programs or public accommodations.
- Later in the week, the House will consider a bill to expand healthcare coverage for veterans who were exposed to toxic substances during the course of their service. Additional legislation may be brought to the floor.
- Committees will hold hearings on state and local recovery funds under the American Rescue Plan; substance use, suicide risk, and the healthcare system; and collective bargaining by congressional staff.
Check below throughout the week to see the vote results and updates to the schedule.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
Monday after 6:30pm (under suspension of the rules)
- S. 321: ‘Six Triple Eight’ Congressional Gold Medal Act
- S. 3706: To provide for the application of certain provisions of the Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act of 2000 for fiscal year 2021
- S. 854: Methamphetamine Response Act of 2021
- S. 1543: STANDUP Act of 2021
- S. 1662: Supporting the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health and the Reagan-Udall Foundation for the Food and Drug Administration Act
- H.R. 2116: CROWN Act of 2022, as amended
- H.R. 55: Emmett Till Antilynching Act
- H.R. 2142: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 170 Manhattan Avenue in Buffalo, New York, as the "Indiana Hunt-Martin Post Office Building"
Tuesday or Wednesday after 12pm, Thursday between 9am and 3pm
- H.R. 3967: Honoring our PACT Act of 2021
- Additional legislative items are possible.
Monday after 5:30pm
- Cloture motion on the motion to proceed to H.R. 3755: Women’s Health Protection Act of 2021
- Cloture motion on the motion to proceed to H.R. 3076: Postal Service Reform Act of 2021
Rest of the Week
- (If cloture is invoked) H.R. 3755: Women’s Health Protection Act of 2021
- (If cloture is invoked) H.R. 3076: Postal Service Reform Act of 2021
Tell your reps how to vote on this week's bills and share your thoughts below!
— Eric Revell
IT: Philly's chemical spill, and... Will you stand together to protect our kids?Welcome to Thursday, March 30th, dear readers... We open with an emotional plea from Causes' CEO, Bart Myers... I have two kids. read more...
We Must Stand Together To Protect Our KidsI have two kids. A boy in 6th grade and a girl in high school. I love them dearly. Every time I hear about another school read more... Families
Jack Daniel's Sues Dog Toy Company For Copyright InfringementWhat's the story? The famous Tennessee whiskey company, Jack Daniel's, is trying to halt the production and marketing of a chewy read more... Food & Agriculture
After Chemical Spill, Philly Residents Have Concerns About Water SafetyWhat’s the story? Over 8,000 gallons of hazardous materials spilled into the drinking supply in the Philadelphia area on Friday, read more... Environment
This is THE HUMAN INFRASTRUCTURE I voted for: Extended child tax credit Universal pre-K: Paid family and medical leave: Medicare expansion for vision and hearing: PJP for older Americans, Free community college: ‼️not a single one of these are in the BIf So do yourself a favor and stop trying to convince me it is! If I didn’t and still don’t willingly accept Trump’s lies. Then, as an independent voter, what makes Dems believe if they tie a blue bow around the same trickle down approach I am going to believe Dems anymore than when Republicans tied a Trumpian red ribbon around their corporate socialism. The biggest difference between the two domestic agendas is simply the color of the ribbon and the payee on the check.
What happened to suspending the Federal gas tax? We lost the entire care economy, an 18cent discount on gas should NOT require massive pressure campaigns Republican Youngkin bolstered this relief during the Virginia Gubernatorial Election to win the elect… Do Democrats WANT to win the 2022? Because their actions do not indicate a desire to win. Trump and his pop are well known for abusing and engaging in fraudulent practices in relation to the gas tax.. a full review needs to be completed immediately
Only thing worth a damn is Veterans presumptive conditions. Post birth abortion.that is stupid, disgusting and should NEVER in good conscience be considered by any reasonable adult.
If Saudi centered OPEC+ is unwilling to increase the production supply crippling Americans’ finances… Then, it is time for Lockheed Martin to come home and for taxpayer funds and resources for Saudi’s Raytheon missile system refit to end. https://www.raytheon.com/ksa https://www.raytheonmissilesanddefense.com/what-we-do/missile-defense There are several measures President Biden could use to slightly decrease pump prices. But, the root of the problem is not with POTUS. The responsibility is mainly OPEC+ greed. ——————- Cautionary Warning: Texas 28 proves America’s voters will use their primary vote to oust Corporate Democratic lawmakers who ignore voter’s financial hardships. -especially when lawmakers have strong ties to the oil/gas industry ——- Quote from industry thought leaders: "It is time for Saudi Arabia to step up and be the friend that they always claim they are to the United States and quite frankly to their other customer base, particularly in Asia," Kilduff told CNBC's "Closing Bell" on Tuesday. "The Saudis have it within their power to snuff out some of this rally that we're seeing for sure. They could easily put another 1 million to 2 million barrels per day of oil on the market with almost the flick of a switch," he said. Current US Federal Aide: The U.S. has $126.6 billion in active government-to-government sales cases with Saudi Arabia under the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) system. Since the May 2017 signing of the $110 billion commitment to pursue Saudi Armed Forces modernization, we carried out an increase in FMS and DCS cases. -Jan 20, 2021 Note: The CBO estimate for the Child Tax Credit that reduced child poverty by 40% was $156 Billion per year.
The Florida Senate will vote tomorrow on HB5 to restrict abortions in the same vein as Texas. While Congress continues to fail at most everything miserably, the Republican controlled state legislatures are doing a fantastic job of restricting women’s rights, voting rights and the rights of the LGBTQI community. Never mind there are SERIOUS problems that need addressed. It’s more important to fabricate false narratives and wage ridiculous cultural warfare.
Well, not like the Republicans have a plan to get anything done. They haven't had a platform since 2016, and right now it seems like all they want is to support Donald (or not?), obstruct all Democratic legislation, and fight with each other about how much to support Donald and how much to obstruct while choosing whether they support Russia or not. How can we let this GOP party get power again? They have absolutely nothing to offer our country.
3.7 million American kids were thrown back into poverty in a single month! Something must be done to prioritize the passage of the care economy. And pity the poor person who tells me what a wonderful job Joe Biden is doing. Granted Joe Biden is better than Trump… but I still believe JimK’s snoopy dog might do a better job. I do not know why, but it is quite obvious Democratic leadership is actively undermining its own ability to win midterm elections. If they weren’t, then we wouldn’t be seeing widespread evidence of such passive aggressive messaging against non corporate progressives. There are about 100 progressive is Congress working to deliver the care economy. The rest… are in it for the money.
If Democrats were truly invested in protecting our democracy and increasing majorities at the midterms… this is an example of some of the SOTU talking points that would help provide decisive wins in the upcoming Texas primary elections. 1. A thematic message (free of identity politics) that reaffirms/refuels hope for blue wave voters in Texas. (The importance of Texas’ primary in keeping House and Senate majorities is not something that should be overlooked.) 2. Biden announcing he will not seek a second term and will honor his promises to be a bridge. (This alone will cause ambiguity and hamper Trump Republicans attack strategy. Narcissistic tactics are significantly less effective without a direct target. 3. Nancy Pelosi will honor her term limit promises (Congress’ approval has been declining since Pelosi took the speaker and forced new blue Dems to go back on their promise to constituents, this needs to be remedied and the term limit promise she made in 2018 needs to be honored) 4. Address and acknowledge the fact 3/4 of Americans perceive Congress as being full of crooks. Support the stock ban and lay out potential consequences for party members who violate current laws. 5. Honor Michael Bennet for his work on reducing child poverty and clearly articulate a willingness to make the CTC permanent if voters deliver wins. 6. Highlight ways educational funding is helping stabilize schools and make a commitment to reframe and mitigate history curriculum concerns. 7. Speak to Texas by showcasing John Dere employee efforts to secure fair wages. 8. Take a play from Youngkin and support a pause on the federal gas tax. And announce the extension of Medicaid services and student loan deferments. 9. Reaffirm commitment to passage of the care economy key pillars (not some mumbo jumbo on the benefits of trickle down in the BIF) Reaffirm commitment to women’s reproductive rights. 10. A socio-economic message that will secure the majority vote needed to deliver for minorities and working class voters alike. 11. Snippets and recent updates of 1/6 committee. 12. How the Fed is working to reduce inflation AND the wealth gap.
Regarding postal reform, I strongly feel the system should privatized. The government has had plenty of time to get it right and they’re not even close. Privatization would demand efficiency. The argument that the postal workers would lose jobs is bogus because most of them would go to work in the private system. They might lose some of their cushy benefits, but welcome to the real world.
I used to give you EPIDEMIC FIGURES daily since Inauguration Day January 20th at noontime to present day. I always gave you President Trumps figure for the entire year of the epidemic. I after exactly one year. Here is President Trumps figures for one year with no vaccines until the last 38 days. Cases 24,717,808 Deaths 274,761. Comrade dear leader Beijing Biden after exactly one year January 20th at noontime 2022, had the following. Cases 42,987,522 Deaths 578,978 with three vaccines since day one So the last 11 days of January through the end of February here are the total. 39 days Cases 54,228,193 new cases last 39 days 11,240,671. Deaths 674,094 new deaths last 39 days 95,115. Please note about a month ago the administration and the CDC changed how to count these cases and deaths. Up to now if you had the Coronavirus when you died even if you came in the ER from a car accident. Now you only get counted if you only have coronavirus. See you next month with my monthly report.
Would love to see if our government is able to withstand another 20 years of this inefficiency. No sunset provisions in legislation will be the demise to our government and likely our nation. I’m glad my tax dollars are completed wasted on our countries consistent failed leadership
No budget for the rest of 2022=no time off for Congress! I wish we had representatives of the caliber of Zelensky, sadly I see no evidence of this.
Oh, @Carina, get a grip. Liberals do not hope that conservatives get Covid and die. Conservatives chose to embrace their “freedom” and refuse to accept a life saving vaccination thereby inviting their own demise. Save your outrage for a legitimate issue.
Codify the right to choose!!!
Why do they choose to sit and spin in settled law when there is so much real work to do.........VOTING RIGHTS FOR ALL AMERICANS!!!!! Fire the post office guy, he is doing a horrible job and you all know it!
I approve of the HOUSE schedule. I only wish the Senate would pass some of these needed measures. I feel as if we have half of a Senate focused on the countries business, and half dedicated to avoiding all work. Those blocking these bills, Republican or Democrat, should be ashamed!
Here is something I consider much more important than these issues. The Defense of the USA Power Grid System. I just sent this e-mail to the President, my two Senators, and my one Member of the US House. Yesterday I watched a 60 Minutes report on the state of the US Power Grid (see: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/america-electric-grid-60-minutes-2022-02-27/ ). I am alarmed to see that no one single agency has responsibility for the 3 Grids spaning the US mainland, No laws providing requirements for the Power Industries to harden the Sub-stations against attack, and no defense against cyber attacks. I would like you to look into this issue and then take whatever action is needed to address all of these issues before Russia implements these terror weapons on the USA.
Watching “The View” and Whoopi said you can donate to UNICEF, go to View’s website to get the info.
@Targeted didn’t add to @Lovely1Leslie in regards to how ‘caring and tolerant’ liberal Democrats are to all people—that would be a not so much. Just yesterday I heard someone say they heard a liberal comment that they ‘wished that all Christians and conservatives would get Covid and die.’ Is that the new definition of love and tolerance?!? Not in my opinion ever, but it certainly reflects how hateful and how dark the heart of the individual who said it. Their comment reflects they don’t care about all lives, but when we hear most Democrats talk—the message of hate comes across very loudly and strongly from them. There is absolutely no doubt about that.
Important matters. Let's just hope both sides can find some common ground and come up with bipartisan responses.