NATO Activates Response Force for First Time, U.S. & Allies Increase Defense Aid to Ukraine Amid Russia’s Invasion
Do you support the NATO Response Force’s activation & defense aid to Ukraine?
What’s the story?
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg announced Friday that the NATO Response Force is being activated for the first time to bolster the defenses of countries on the alliance’s eastern front amid Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
- Citing Russian leader Vladimir Putin’s demand that NATO withdraws from Eastern European countries that joined NATO after the fall of the Soviet Union, Stoltenberg warned, “The Kremlin’s objectives are not limited to Ukraine.”
- This comes as NATO allies and other European partners are increasing shipments of anti-tank, anti-armor, ammunition, and other military equipment to Ukraine to sustain their capacity to resist Russian forces. Numerous countries announced contributions of military aid for Ukraine last week during the initial days after Russia's invasion and over the weekend.
NATO Response Force Activated
- Elements of the 40,000 strong NATO Response Force (NRF) are being activated for deployments to Eastern Europe where they will be stationed to deter further Russian aggression against NATO member states and enhance the host nation’s defensive capabilities. The NRF was established after Russia illegally annexed Crimea from Ukraine and invaded the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine in 2014. All 30 members of the alliance agreed to activate the NRF.
- In particular, the NRF’s Very High Readiness Joint Task Force (VJTF) will be deployed which consists of a multinational land brigade of about 5,000 troops in addition to air, maritime, and special forces components that bring the VJTF’s total size to about 20,000 personnel. The VJTF is currently led by France and is centered on a Franco-German mechanized infantry brigade with 3,500 troops.
- The U.S. announced the deployment of 7,000 additional troops to Germany this week, and some of those units may be attached to NRF. Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said Friday that up to 12,000 U.S. servicemembers have been put on “prepare to deploy” orders and may be deployed as part of the NRF or unilaterally.
- As of Saturday, NATO hasn’t announced where the NRF units that are being activated will be deployed, although the Baltic states, Poland, Romania, or other countries along the alliance’s eastern front are likely destinations.
More Military Aid Headed to Ukraine From U.S., NATO, & Europe
- The U.S. announced Friday that it’s sending an additional $350 million of military assistance to Ukraine, including Javelin anti-tank missiles, ammunition, and body armor for Ukrainian troops; and on Sunday it was announced the U.S. would begin delivering Stinger anti-aircraft missiles to Ukraine ― a change from prior policy under which America's European allies would send Ukraine Stingers from their stockpiles and the U.S. would, in turn, replenish those stockpiles. Javelins have been used on a number of occasions to knock out Russian tanks and armored vehicles, while Stingers have shot down low-flying Russian jets and helicopters.
- The United Kingdom is continuing to provide Ukraine with anti-tank weapons such as the NLAW, which is reportedly being used to good effect against Russian armored vehicles, in addition to ammunition and financial support.
- Germany, which has previously blocked efforts to send lethal military aid to Ukraine, has reversed that position and will send anti-tank and anti-armor munitions to the Ukrainian military. German Chancellor Olaf Scholz announced that Germany will send 1,000 anti-tank weapon systems, 500 Stinger anti-aircraft missiles, and 400 rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), in addition to the previously pledged 5,000 helmets.
- Poland and the Baltic states ― Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania ― are continuing to send weapons including anti-tank and anti-aircraft munitions to Ukraine, in addition to ammunition and other supplies. Poland has been using its border for deliveries to Ukraine.
- Belgium is sending Ukraine 2,000 machine guns, 3,800 tons of fuel, and 200 anti-tank grenade launchers.
- The Netherlands is sending Ukraine 200 Stinger anti-aircraft missiles and 50 Panzerfaust-3 anti-tank weapon systems with 400 rockets.
- Slovakia is sending 12,000 rounds of artillery ammunition, 10 million liters of fuel, 2.4 million liters of aviation fuel, a pair of Bozena demining systems, and other materials to Ukraine.
- Finland announced Sunday it will send Ukraine 2,000 bulletproof vests; 2,000 composite helmets; 100 stretchers; and equipment for two emergency medical care stations. It also granted Estonia the ability to re-export artillery guns and ammunition to Ukraine that had previously been purchased from Finland. On Monday, Finland announced it will send 2,500 assault rifles plus ammunition; 1,500 anti-tank weapons; and 70,000 combat ration packages.
- Sweden announced Sunday that it will send Ukraine 5,000 anti-tank weapons (including NLAWS); 5,000 body shields; 5,000 helmets; and 135,000 field rations. The weapons will be the first time Sweden has sent to another country in this manner since it provided military aid to Finland during the Winter War against the Soviet Union in 1939-40.
- Denmark announced Sunday it will donate 2,700 anti-tank weapons to Ukraine.
- The European Union announced Sunday that it will provide Ukraine with fighter jets that will be delivered "hours" after the announcement. It will also provide financial assistance. On Monday, the EU announced that its geospatial imaging arm will share satellite images it gathers with Ukraine.
- Norway announced Monday that it will send 2,000 M72 LAW anti-tank weapons to Ukraine.
- Russia Vetoes UN Security Council Resolution Condemning Putin’s Invasion of Ukraine (2/25/22)
- Biden Announces More Sanctions on Russia for Putin's Invasion of Ukraine (2/24/22)
- Russia Invades Ukraine: Air & Missile Strikes Rock Ukrainian Bases & Cities (2/23/22)
- U.S. Moves More Troops & Aircraft to NATO’s Eastern Front as Russia Remains Poised to Invade Ukraine (2/23/22)
- U.S. & Allies Announce Sanctions on Russia for ‘Flagrant Violation of International Law’ in Eastern Ukraine (2/22/22)
- Putin Recognizes Ukraine Rebel Regions, Orders Military to Conduct ‘Peacekeeping Operations’ (2/21/22)
- President Biden Says He’s ‘Convinced’ Putin Has Made the Decision to Invade Ukraine (2/18/22)
- Biden Speaks on Russia-Ukraine Crisis, Senators Send Bipartisan Message of Solidarity to Ukraine & Warning to Putin (2/15/22)
- American Embassy in Ukraine Temporarily Evacuated Away From Kyiv As Russian Invasion Threat Looms (2/14/22)
- U.S. & Allies Sending More Troops to Eastern Europe, Arms to Ukraine Amid Russian Invasion Threat (2/12/22)
- U.S. Believes Russia May Launch Invasion of Ukraine ‘At Any Time’ - Americans Warned to Leave Ukraine Immediately (2/11/22)
- U.S. Deploying 3,000 Troops to NATO Countries in Eastern Europe Amid Russia’s Military Buildup (2/2/22)
- NATO Increases Readiness of Multinational Response Force - What Is It? (1/29/22)
- State Dept. Encourages American Citizens to Leave Ukraine, Begins Evacuation of Embassy Staff Members' Families (1/24/22)
- U.S. & NATO Allies Provide Aid to Ukraine Amid Russia's Military Buildup (1/22/22)
- U.S. Intel Warns Russia is Prepping ‘False Flag’ Operation as Pretext for Invading Ukraine (1/15/22)
- Biden Tells Ukrainian President the U.S. ‘Will Respond Decisively’ if Russia Invades Further (1/3/22)
- U.S. & NATO Urge Russia to Pull Back From its Military Buildup on Ukraine’s Border (12/3/21)
- Biden Admin Freezes Sale of Lethal Arms to Ukraine Amid Russian Military Buildup (6/18/21)
— Eric Revell
(Photo Credit: U.S. Army Europe photo by Spc. Brett Hurd, 173rd Airborne Brigade, via Flickr / Public Domain)
IT: Philly's chemical spill, and... Will you stand together to protect our kids?Welcome to Thursday, March 30th, dear readers... We open with an emotional plea from Causes' CEO, Bart Myers... I have two kids. read more...
We Must Stand Together To Protect Our KidsI have two kids. A boy in 6th grade and a girl in high school. I love them dearly. Every time I hear about another school read more... Families
Jack Daniel's Sues Dog Toy Company For Copyright InfringementWhat's the story? The famous Tennessee whiskey company, Jack Daniel's, is trying to halt the production and marketing of a chewy read more... Food & Agriculture
After Chemical Spill, Philly Residents Have Concerns About Water SafetyWhat’s the story? Over 8,000 gallons of hazardous materials spilled into the drinking supply in the Philadelphia area on Friday, read more... Environment
It is getting close to the time when the Russian leaders will have to decide whether or not Putin remains in power. His risk taking is and will continue to cost the Russian Oligarchs, the Russian military and the Russian people dearly. Putin’s implicit threats to unleash nukes has got to terrify all of them. His days are numbered and while his successor is not likely to have different policies, they should be a hell of a lot less reckless. Let’s hope this happens sooner rather than later for the sake of the Ukrainian people. … … … A word of caution: Russia’s offer of a safe corridor for Ukrainians to get out the country opens the door for much more horrific actions by the Russians - such as leveling cities without regard for those left behind, Putin will claim it was their own fault that the Russian Army dispatched them, because they chose not to leave when they had the chance.
Some help from Big Tech Twitter Post: @elonmusk, while you try to colonize Mars — Russia try to occupy Ukraine! While your rockets successfully land from space — Russian rockets attack Ukrainian civil people! We ask you to provide Ukraine with Starlink stations and to address sane Russians to stand,” Ukraine’s vice prime minister, Mykhailo Fedorov, said in a Twitter post. Federov is also the country's minister of digital transformation. Musk responded via Twitter “Starlink service is now active in Ukraine. More terminals en route,” Musk tweeted in response. “This comes as internet outages have been reported in parts of Ukraine amid the ongoing conflict.” “Musk says SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service activated in Ukraine amid Russian invasion -TheHill https://thehill.com/policy/international/596001-musk-says-spacex-starlink-satellite-internet-service-activated-in “Musk announced that the service was active on Twitter after a Ukrainian official asked for the billionaire to provide the technology on Saturday.” "Musk says Starlink active in Ukraine as Russian invasion disrupts internet -Reuters https://www.reuters.com/technology/musk-says-starlink-active-ukraine-russian-invasion-disrupts-internet-2022-02-27/ Musk says Starlink active in Ukraine amid Russian invasion - The Jerusalem Post https://www.jpost.com/international/article-698751
I think all the actions NATO has taken have led Russia to come to the negotiating table in Belarus. Putin thought this was going to be another Crimea. Putin puts out disinformation; Elon Musk keeps the internet up! Putin invades Ukraine; the Ukrainian people fight. Putin believes he can do whatever he likes; the NATO community takes out his knees. It is only a matter of time before Putin’s own people rebel. Keep up the resistance!!!
The Ukrainian government has requested that Apple shut down the Russian App Store.
Rather dumb for news channels especially widely monitored cnn to get retired generals to live quarterback russian movements & mistakes! Why are we helping them correct mistakes? It kills people real time. Just shut up! On the contrary use your technology and knowledge to assist those being attacked to save lives.
Watching the news about the difficulty getting mig fighters from Poland to Ukraine. I can understand how flying them in could be twisted by Putin into an act of war. This may be a stupid question but why not fly the migs to the Polish/Ukraine border, land them on the road on the Polish side, drive them across the border on the road, hand them off to waiting Ukraine pilots who can then take off in them from the Ukrainian side….??
Support all aid to Ukraine and wish there was something else that we could do to crush the head of the snake once and for all.
It is too late for more sanctions, it is too late to be debating if we should cut off Russian oil. Putin does not care about the Russian economy or Russian people. Ukrainian cities are burning and elderly, women and children and caught in this Blitzkrieg. There is a humanitarian crisis happening right now and the US is doing a great job sitting back and watching Putin steamroll Europe. Stop the shelling of civilians, impose a No Fly Zone and pass Lend Lease. Because everyday that goes by from today is more needless civilian casualties that should have been stopped 2 weeks ago when Putin started this pointless and reckless war.
Please tell your colleagues especially Matt Rosendale that most of the German descendant’s ancestors are from Ukraine.
Gee, unless you want to be pushed around by totalitarian regimes currently behaving pugnaciously, I’d say it’s time free societies cooperate on resistance.
Absolutely! Any and all the Ukrainians need because who knows where it will stop in Europe!!
Stopping the Putin takeover of Ukraine is a world war, not just a Ukraine war, and you need to understand that. If he succeeds in Ukraine do you really think he will stop there? Take off your "rose-colored glasses" and look at his record. He has almost succeeded in his desire to seriously weaken the United States. . .time will tell if the ship of state can be righted. He has ignored non-aggression pacts right and left. His word cannot be trusted as he has proven time and again. He hates NATO and has made no secret of his feelings. Where will you draw the line if not here and now? The US must stand with our NATO allies.
It is difficult for me to believe that any other country that includes China would go along with Putin invading the Ukraine. For his own glory. I don’t understand why we are buying oil from Russia. When Joe Biden shut down our Keystone boil pipe line? All of our resources Joe Biden has taken away, to buy the same thing from other countries including coal. Why does Joe Biden care about other countries more than he does about America and the American people. It’s about time the world would stand up for what is right. Stop Putin. What if it was to happen here in America, and no one helped us. Imagine going through with the people in the Ukraine are going through and have to beg for help. Where is the humanity in this world. The caring of human life and freedom. I am extremely sorry that Joe Biden is our president anybody else would’ve done a better job than he is doing. His State of the Union address was outrageously stupid. And Nancy Pelosi behind him who stood up constantly to applaud I don’t know what the hell she was applauding. The prices for everything in America have skyrocketed. The Democratic Party doesn’t care they just wanna create more debt. I personally have had enough and anyone and everyone in America is getting tired of it. Things have never been so bad. In every direction. Joe Biden has not done anything good for our country America he’s even trying to take away our constitutional rights. and he wants to mandate everything to force Americans to do what he wants
Justice for All near or far!!
I believe This wouldn’t be happening to Ukrainian’s if the Trump administration and the Congressman who supported eliminating the INF Treaty (without producing proof of Russia’s violation of the Treaty). ( https://www.nti.org/education-center/treaties-and-regimes/treaty-between-the-united-states-of-america-and-the-union-of-soviet-socialist-republics-on-the-elimination-of-their-intermediate-range-and-shorter-range-missiles/ ) It appears to me that from the time then PRESIDENT Donald J Trump entered office to this day he is deaf, dumb and blind when it pertains to Putin. Question, would this war have happened to Ukrainian’s if the Trump administration and the Congressman who supported him wouldn’t have abolished the INF Treaty? I have always been bothered by the fact that Trump has NEVER denounce Putin from the moment he took the Office in 2017. Even with the world was watching him on a stage in Helsinki ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBtsNNXjBPw ) Donald J Trump instead chose to denounced the United States intelligence regarding Russian interference in the 2016 election, till the day Donald J Trump PRAISED Putin ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNxvSxaGeDE ) as a genius and savvy just a week ago. It appears to me that Trumps FEAR of Putin and REFUSAL to denounce him has emboldened Putin. And because of his blinds eye inactions in his term in office handed Putin the power but not the right to destroy a sovereign nation. Think before you vote about the persons character and their devotion to “selfless service” NOT “Self-Serving” (Trump) so we can respect their words and deeds. That is what government is suppose to stand for. It’s just bad news TRUMP didn’t have the decency to speak out against the only person he is AFRAID OF…ignorance is definitely bliss in his eyes. I am old school and believe that respect, honor and decorum are traits that should be mandatory in public settings to represent these United States.
Let’s send Putin’s Russia back to the Stone Age, they need to be in a place where they look at North Korea and think wow I wish we could live like that. That’s what they deserve under Putin they need to rise up and illuminate that asshole. The people of Russia have been ripped off and screwed for years by Putin and his minions they have all become billionaires of the backs of the Russian people. Smarten up Russians treat Putin just like Benito Mussolini.
If Russia blows up that nuclear power plant we can only hope the winds are blowing towards Russia and they get the blunt of the fallout!
Glory to Ukraine!
Needed and glad NATO is alive
if russia takes ukraine they ain't gonna stop there, does anybody remember hitler
Yes, now everyone is in and doing exactly what was intended when NATO was formed! Yippee, Skippy, this shouldn't take long now! Vlad looked bloated a couple days ago. Cardiac?
Everyone is doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing for the first time in a long time! Except Putin of course!
Leslie, thanks for the info. On the way
It’s time to pull out all the stops and send Russia back 50 years. They should be worse off than North Korea, their leader Putin is nothing short of a deranged animal and he needs to be treated as so. It’s time to wreck they were economy totally.