Congress Goes on Recess for Presidents’ Day After Avoiding Gov’t Shutdown
How do you feel about this week’s congressional schedule (or lack thereof)?
What’s happening in Congress?
- Lawmakers will be on recess this week for Presidents’ Day after the Senate voted last Thursday to pass a bill to fund the government for three weeks through March 11th and prevent a government shutdown from beginning over the weekend.
- When Congress returns, negotiating a bipartisan appropriations package that covers the rest of fiscal year 2022 will be a priority, although it’s possible lawmakers may have to resort to yet another stopgap continuing resolution to stave off a shutdown.
- Lawmakers in both chambers are expected to return on Monday, February 28th, and President Joe Biden is scheduled to deliver a state of the union address to a joint session on March 1st.
- The Senate is set to return from recess on Monday, February 28th. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) indicated that the chamber is expected to take up a bipartisan postal reform bill when it returns.
- It may also take a procedural vote on an abortion rights bill that House Democrats passed, although that’s unlikely to meet the 60 vote threshold needed to overcome the legislative filibuster.
- No Senate committee hearings are scheduled this week.
- The House is set to return for its first floor work in two weeks on Monday, February 28th.
- Lawmakers are expected to consider legislation expanding healthcare coverage for veterans who were exposed to toxic substances during their service.
- No House committee hearings are scheduled this week.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
- No votes are expected.
- The House is scheduled to return for floor business on Monday, February, 28th.
- No votes are expected.
- The Senate is scheduled to return for floor business on Monday, February 28th.
Tell your reps how to vote on this week's bills and share your thoughts below!
— Eric Revell
The Oldest Orca in Captivity To Be ReleasedWhat’s the story? Lolita the orca, who has lived in captivity at the Miami Seaquarium for more than 50 years, is being released read more... Environment
Trans Day of Visibility: Celebrating Trans People & Highlighting the Mental Health CrisisOn this day of transgender visibility, we're taking time to celebrate the lives of trans people, and raise awareness of the read more... Upcoming Bills
BILL: Banning TikTok - The RESTRICT Act - S.686Updated - March 28, 2023 TikTokers are flooding Washington, D.C., and the platform , urging Congress not to ban TikTok. Users read more... China
DOJ Files Lawsuit Against Norfolk Southern Over Train DerailmentUpdated March 31, 2023 The U.S. Department of Justice filed a lawsuit against Norfolk Southern to ensure the company pays for read more... Environment
Hope & expect Senate to confirm, quickly, Ketanje Jackson Brown to Supreme Court without staging embarrassing, degrading attacks on her. Her professional credentials are impeccable. We would all be well served to have her as a justice. The GOP racist comments are beneath the moral goals of our nation & common decency. It’s about time they start acting like professional responsible adults. Sick & tired of disgusting juvenile behavior in hearings. We have NOT been well served by Kavanaugh or Coney Barrett by rolling back settled law and erosion of abortion & voting rights
Absolutely must past Postal reform bill. Should fire DeJoy immediately! Outrageous his is still at his post with Midterms coming up with many opportunities for his malfeasance considering his sabotage of irreplaceable equipment in the past! No patience for GOP obstruction to everything proposed by Biden Administration, including funding the govt. This cuts off the nose of constituents despite their needs. This is a action corrosive to govt mission to serve the people. Time voting rights legislation updated & passed to insure ALL American citizens have the same rights & access to the ballots. Need gerrymandering & financial reform will making universal access to mail in ballots & easily accessible 24/7 drop boxes
Are ‘y they just good citizens.😫?
Does anyone really give a dam about this country anymore? Our government and our legislators have become a dick v lot b
Once again, How often is this question going to come up? Seems like it is a continuing question since we are always on the verge of a government shutdown. The congress should NOT be taking recess when there is actual work that needs to be done! How much of our tax money goes to these recesses? We are always complaining about the budget, but this is where we waste money. Might as well through the money out the window for what good it does.
Get to work. You haven't earned another break, especially since the Senate has done practically nothing this year.
Andy, that was wicked! Loved it! ❤️😊❤️😊
You tell them, Verymary! 😊❤️😊❤️
Proving what a waste of money. Congress takes more time off or vacations than any private sector company would tolerate. Why do we?
Really, still working on a budget. In the private sector you all would be terminated due to not being team players. Time to wake up and stop being so divided. Time to rid yourself of trumpism and work.for all of us.
Every other day it’s a shutdown! And Biden is on vacation every week! Stop voting in politicians , Rinos, and money Grabbers! Vote for real people like Blystone for Ohio and Kandiss Taylor for Georgia - for the people Governors!!
Congress should work for people. We send you to do the job.
How exhausted they must be! Imagine being pressured to serve the country you were elected to serve! Jeepers creepers, everybody!
Work harder. We all do,
Can't wait to hear the plans! I wonder when they will share with us all of their work over the 15 day vaca! I hope they pass voting rights immediately! For America, you know, land of the free, home of the brave with liberty, justice and a voting right for all!
Missed your comments NoHedges. Glad to hear from you again!
congress goes on vacation while Rome burns!
I guess if they are NOT in Congress they can't spend money till they get back. Try to do something to make the US Energy Independent again! Would help solve inflation, bring down the price of oil would then bankrupt Russia all with the same action! Instead the Democrats are listening to Climate hysteria. When asked by a nominee before the Senate how much doing the things they want to do he couldn't answer how many degrees it would lower when asked by Senator Kennedy. If you can't site the goal, NO one needs this guy!
You guys really care????