Texas Abortion Ban Turns Citizens Into 'Bounty Hunters' - Do You Support the Provision?
Do you support or oppose the $10,000 'Abortion Ban Bounty'?
by Causes | 9.9.21
What’s the story?
- The Texas law banning abortions after six weeks includes a unique provision for enforcement: private citizens can sue clinics, doctors, nurses, and even people who drive a woman to get an abortion for at least $10,000.
- This financial incentive was singled out by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor in her dissent after SCOTUS declined the block the controversial law:
Texas lawmakers have "deputized the state's citizens as bounty hunters, offering them cash prizes for civilly prosecuting their neighbors' medical procedures."
- Senate Bill 8 (SB 8) states that residents “may bring a civil action against any person who performs or induces an abortion in violation” after six weeks of pregnancy or anyone who “aids or abets” an abortion. This includes giving someone a ride to the clinic or paying for the procedure (reimbursement from insurance is also prohibited).
- Elizabeth Sepper, a professor specializing in health law and religious liberty at the University of Texas at Austin’s School of Law told MarketWatch:
“The defendant — whether a provider, funder, clergyperson, friend or family member — pays the damages which are set at a minimum of $10,000. If there are several defendants, they each pay $10,000 in damages
- S.B.8 makes no exception for pregnancies caused by rape or incest.
How are Bounty Hunters reporting violators?
- Reddit recently removed "r/TXBountyHunters," a forum "for sharing tips on identifying, reporting, and collecting bounty on those breaking Texas law TX SB8."
- Texas Right to Life, an anti-abortion group, created a website where people can leave information anonymously about "aiding or abetting a post-heartbeat abortion."
- TikTok users trolled the site with fake tips in an attempt to crash it.
- The site has been dropped by their host provider, GoDaddy, and is currently offline, but a representative for Texas Right to Life told CBS news:
“ProLifeWhistleblower.com will be back up soon to continue collecting anonymous tips."
-Minna Lee and Josh Herman
(Image: Josh Herman / Site capture from prolifewhistleblower.com)
Senate Parliamentarian Rules Against Democrats' Plan to Include Immigration Reform in Reconciliation Spending BillWhat’s the story? Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough on Sunday ruled against Democrats’ plan to use the budget
by Causes | 9.20.21
Know a Nominee: Veronica Rossman to the Tenth Circuit Court of AppealsUPDATE 9/20/21The Senate voted 50-42 to confirm Veronica Rossman as a federal judge of the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. She
by Causes | 9.20.21
Capitol Police Say They Are Ready for ‘Justice for J6’ RallyWhat’s The Story? A ”Justice for J6” rally will be held at Union Square in front of the U.S. Capitol on Saturday. Attendees
by Causes | 9.18.21