House Passes Bill Establishing Independent Commission to Investigate January 6th Capitol Attack
Do you support or oppose the proposal?
UPDATE - 5/19/21
- The House voted 252-175 on Wednesday to pass legislation to establish an independent commission to investigate the January 6th attack on the Capitol. All Democrats and 35 Republicans voted in favor of the independent commission, while the remainder of GOP members voted against it.
- The 35 GOP lawmakers who voted “yea” on forming the commission is an increase from the 10 who voted in favor of former President Donald Trump’s impeachment earlier this year for what they contend is his role in the incitement of the Capitol riot.
- The bill now heads to the Senate, where it will require the support of at least 10 GOP senators to reach the 60 vote threshold needed to overcome the legislative filibuster. It’s unclear at this time how many GOP senators support the bill to establish an independent January 6th commission.
- For the sake of comparison, seven Republican senators voted to impeach Trump over the January 6th attack, so if they’re also in favor of the independent commission only three of their GOP colleagues would need to join them for the bill to advance.
- Read more about the National Commission to Investigate the January 6 Attack on the United States Capitol Complex Act (H.R. 3233) here.
The original article appears below.
What’s the story?
- The Democratic and Republican leaders of the House Homeland Security Committee on Friday announced an agreement over legislation to create a bipartisan commission tasked with investigating the attack at the Capitol on January 6th and recommending security improvements at the Capitol complex.
- The bill, which is being drafted by Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-MS) and Ranking Member John Katko (R-NY), is expected to get a vote on the House floor next week.
What’s in the bill?
- The commission proposed by the bill is modeled on the 9/11 Commission and would have 10 members who must have significant expertise in law enforcement, civil rights, civil liberties, privacy, intelligence, and cybersecurity. Commissioners couldn’t be current government officers or employees.
- Five commissioners, including the chair, would be selected by Democrats while five commissioners including the vice chair would be selected by Republicans.
- Much like the 9/11 Commission, the commission proposed by the bill would have the authority to issue subpoenas to obtain information for its investigation if there is an agreement between the chair and vice chair or a vote by a majority of commission members.
- The commission will be required to issue a final report with findings regarding the facts and causes of the attack, along with recommendations to prevent future attacks on our democratic institutions by December 31, 2021.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said she supports the compromise after she previously pushed for Democrats to have a majority of the commissioner appointments.
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) told reporters on Friday that he hasn’t reviewed the deal yet, and added he wants the commission’s review to include events in the lead up to, and aftermath of, January 6th.
— Eric Revell
(Photo Credit: Tyler Merbler via Flickr / Creative Commons)
Cut Emissions To Save Lives and Catastrophe, Urgently Warns New UN Climate ReportWhat’s the story? A new climate report from the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says the planet is on read more... Environment
Watch & Comment: TikTok CEO Testifies Before the House Energy and Commerce CommitteeWhat's the story? On March 22, TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew is due to appear before Congress to testify on the app's consumer privacy read more... China
Biden Urges Congress to Pass Legislation Regulating BanksWhat’s the story? President Biden has asked Congress to pass legislation granting financial regulators new powers to enforce read more... Deficits & Debt
Lunchables Will Soon Be Sold in School CafeteriasWhat’s the story? Lunchables will be sold in school cafeterias starting this fall as the product is updated to comply with read more... Families
Rep. French Hill rightly voted for this bill, snd I very much appreciate his doing so. Thank you, Congressman! Send. Boozman and Cotton, I hope you will vote as Mr. Hill did. I want you to vote for this Bill the create the January 6 commission.
Make it happen.
Truth or Trump? It's that simple.
This sort of insurrection is concerning in this age of communication and diplomacy. Regardless of political affiliation this was a reckless act based on a small collection of loose, barely truthful, statements.
WE ALL KNOW WHO CAUSED THE RIOTS AND IT WAS NOT TRUMP SUPPORTERS OR THE GOP. PELOSI AND THE DEMS SET IT UP.
Sure start with an audit all politicians and their families with big bank accounts who put America last, then Antifa and BLM.. Once they are jailed and all monies seized which is only a fraction of the destruction they caused in "peaceful" protests my eye, then show the full video of showing the police working with peaceful gatherers, and lets find out if those that invaded the offices are not Antifa or BLM. Then someone shut AOC up.
Someone, please remove McConnell from power? Sanction him, take him off of committees, SOMETHING!!
There is something wrong with this country that when an attempted coup takes place almost the entire party in the two party system refuses to support an investigation. Why was there a 9/11 commission? Why was there any investigation at any time. You Republicans are so worried it will AGAIN show the treasonous behavior of many of you but particularly the then President of the United States, the baby who was sitting in the White House. This is the fall of democracy. And you are fiddling while it happens. For shame.
It will be just another farce like the JFK assassination and 911, both flawed and biased. Even though President Trump is out of office for now, these sore losers will not give up. The democRATs are the ones who should be under investigation. Supporting BLM/ANTIFA as they riot, loot and burn the country down, not one democRAT has criticized or have done anything to stop these domestic terrorists and if this commission is formed, the democRATs will make sure none of the BLM/ANTIFA criminals that were present that day, will ever be named or brought to justice. And most importantly the person that murdered the unarmed President Trump supporter will never be revealed and brought to justice. It will just be millions of dollars in waste which the democRATs are good at.
This happened on my 63rd birthday. Because I am dealing with side effects from chemo drugs, I was feeling crummy earlier. And then this happened. FDR: "Your birthday will live in infamy."
The main reason why the GOP Washington politicians oppose a commission to investigate the January 6th insurrection is that it will expose the ones that were complicit in joining with the terrorists attacking the Capitol to prevent Biden's victory over the LOSER tRump. Any of those politicians that provided maps and gave personal tours of the Capitol before the violence started should be charged with sedition along with Trump.
So many commissions but not one for Democrats to control so they can use their version to attack political opponents. I do not support
By all means, this incident needs to be investigated. If you buy the notion that not testing for COVID would mean fewer cases of that disease, then you might also support the equally absurd idea that not investigating the insurrection would mean that it, too, poses no issues for us. If we just ignore the problem, it's not going to go away. it will get worse.
Vote for a 1/6 commission. Your “suburban housewife “ problem is growing to almost 250,000. Just an update.
There is NO reason not to have this Commission. The Rs are afraid of Trump. Perhaps their fear is better placed about the threat to our democracy!!!
I fully support the creation of a Commission to Investigate the Jan 6th Insurrection against the Government of the U.SA.
let the truth be revealed about capitol assault
The nation is watching to see which Senators truly support law and order, the Constitution, and who will not tolerate mob violence. To Sen Young and to Braun are you real patriots or apologists for a lost election? Stand up for what is right and find out the facts behind this tragic incident!
If you can’t support an investigation of an attack on your national capitol, why would you support ninjas looking for bamboo in paper ballots? This is spoiling fantasy movies for me. I can’t tell them from ‘reality’.
This needs to be investigated just like the 911 commission, period! The GOP have got to stop kowtowing to trump.