Over 40% of Americans Have Received At Least One Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine
Do you plan on getting a COVID-19 vaccine when you’re able to?
by Causes | 4.23.21
What’s the story?
- As of April 22nd, at least 135.8 million Americans had received at least their first dose of coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine, and about 81.3 million were fully vaccinated.
- This USAFacts chart shows U.S. vaccination progress as a percentage of the population according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data through April 22nd, which shows that 41.37% of Americans received at least one dose and 24.77% were fully vaccinated by that date:
- The CDC reports that it has sex information for about 90% of vaccine recipients. This USAFacts chart shows that 70.7 million women have received at least one dose of vaccine, which amounts to more than 42% of the female population; while over 60.4 million men (37% of the male population) have done the same. The five percentage point gap between the proportion of men and women who have been vaccinated is roughly true for both initial doses and full vaccination:
- Additionally, the CDC has age information for about 91% of vaccine recipients. The age groups with the highest percentage of vaccine recipients are 75 and older (63% full vaccination) and 65 to 74 (62% full vaccination). This USAFacts chart shows the percentage of each age group that is fully vaccinated (blue) or has received at least one dose of vaccine (pink):
- Racial and ethnic information is less available, as the CDC only has access to such data for about 52% of Americans who’ve been vaccinated. This USAFacts chart shows the percentage of vaccine recipients by racial group, including the fully vaccinated (blue) and initial doses (pink):
- USAFacts is also tracking vaccination progress in each state using CDC data. Here are the states with the highest and lowest percentages of both initial doses and full vaccination through April 22nd:
- Highest % One-Doses: New Hampshire (58%); Connecticut (50%); Massachusetts (50%); and Maine (50%).
- Highest % Full Vaccinations: New Mexico (31%); Alaska (31%); Connecticut (30%); and South Dakota (30%).
- Lowest % One-Doses: Mississippi (29%); Alabama (30%); Louisiana (31%); Idaho (32%); and Tennessee (32%).
- Lowest % Full Vaccinations: Utah (18%); Alabama (19%); Georgia (19%); Mississippi (20%); and Tennessee (20%).
— Eric Revell
(Photo Credit: iStock.com / Prostock-Studio)
U.S. Inflation Rose in April at Fastest Pace in 13 YearsThis content leverages data from USAFacts, a non-profit that visualizes governmental data. You can learn more on its website,
by Causes | 5.15.21
Homeland Security Committee Reaches Deal on Bipartisan Commission to Investigate January 6th Capitol AttackWhat’s the story? The Democratic and Republican leaders of the House Homeland Security Committee on Friday announced an
by Causes | 5.14.21
IT: Border apprehensions remained high in April, and... Is a lottery jackpot for COVID vaccine recipients a good idea?Welcome to Friday, May 14th, folks...U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) released its operational statistics for the month
by Causes | 5.14.21