Nebraska, Ohio, & South Dakota Had Unemployment Rates At or Below Their Pre-Pandemic Levels in March - How Does Your State Compare?
How do you feel about job market trends in your state?
by Causes | 4.23.21
What’s the story?
- The national unemployment rate dipped to 6% in March as states eased more of the restrictions that had curtailed economic activity in an effort to contain the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. At the state level, the unemployment rate fell in 20 states and remained stable in the others.
- Three states ― Nebraska (2.9%), Ohio (4.7%), and South Dakota (2.9%) ― reported unemployment rates this March that were the same or lower than their unemployment rates in February 2020, before the economic toll of the pandemic began in earnest. This USAFacts chart shows each state’s unemployment rate in March:
- Several other states were within half a percentage point of their pre-pandemic unemployment rates last month, including Montana (3.8%), New Hampshire (3%), Utah (2.9%), and Vermont (2.9%). Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah, and Vermont tied for the lowest unemployment rates of all states.
- On the other hand, several states’ economies were still seeing the effects of the pandemic reflected in their unemployment rates, with the highest in Hawaii (9%) and New York (8.5%), followed by New Mexico (8.3%), Connecticut (8.3%), California (8.3%), and Nevada (8.1%). Back in February 2020, each of those states had unemployment rates below 4% except for New Mexico (5.3%) and California (4.3%).
- In terms of total employment, only Idaho (+1.3%) and Utah (+0.72%) have surpassed their pre-pandemic job numbers as of March 2021; whereas Hawaii (-17%), New York (-10%), and Nevada (-10%) have the largest deficit as this USAFacts chart shows:
— Eric Revell
(Photo Credit: iStock.com / andresr)
Homeland Security Committee Reaches Deal on Bipartisan Commission to Investigate January 6th Capitol AttackWhat’s the story? The Democratic and Republican leaders of the House Homeland Security Committee on Friday announced an
by Causes | 5.14.21
IT: Border apprehensions remained high in April, and... Is a lottery jackpot for COVID vaccine recipients a good idea?Welcome to Friday, May 14th, folks...U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) released its operational statistics for the month
by Causes | 5.14.21
Border Apprehensions Continued at Historic Pace in AprilWhat’s the story? U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) released its operational statistics for the month of April on
by Causes | 5.13.21