House to Vote on D.C. Statehood & Restricting Executive Branch Travel Bans, Senate Debates COVID Hate Crime Bill
How do you feel about this week’s congressional schedule?
What’s happening in Congress?
- Lawmakers from both chambers will be at the Capitol for a four-day workweek, which will feature the last floor votes in the House ahead of a two-week break.
- The Senate starts its week Monday with a procedural vote on the nomination of Lisa Monaco to be deputy attorney general ahead of a likely confirmation vote Tuesday.
- It may also take steps to enable consideration of the nomination of Vanita Gupta to be associate attorney later in the week.
- Aside from nominations, the Senate will continue its debate on a bill to improve the Dept. of Justice’s handling of hate crime cases related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, particularly those perpetrated against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. Votes on amendments and passage of the underlying bill are possible but are yet to be announced.
- Committees will hold hearings on voting rights, inequality in the tax code, and preventing undue foreign influence in biomedical research.
- The House starts its week Monday with the consideration of 21 bills under the fast-track “suspension of the rules” process, including bills to allow businesses involved in the legal marijuana trade to access banking services and a study of potential changes to an insider trading rule.
- The rest of the week will be focused on bills to limit the ability of the executive branch to impose travel bans, expand access to legal counsel for immigrants, and the admission of the District of Columbia as the 51st state.
- Committees will hold hearings on economic development related to climate change, for-profit college conversions, and voting rights.
Check below throughout the week to see the vote results and updates to the schedule.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
Monday after 6:30pm (under suspension of the rules)
- H.R. 1996: SAFE Banking Act of 2021 Passed 321-101.
- H.R. 1528: Promoting Transparent Standards for Corporate Insiders Act Consideration postponed.
- H.R. 490: DHS MORALE Act Vote postponed.
- H.R. 473: Trusted Traveler Reconsideration and Restoration Act of 2021 Passed by voice vote.
- H.R. 370: Quadrennial Homeland Security Review Technical Corrections Act of 2021 Vote postponed.
- H.R. 367: Homeland Security Acquisition Professional Career Program Act Vote postponed.
- H.R. 408: Department of Homeland Security Mentor-Protégé Program Act of 2021 Vote postponed.
- H.R. 397: CBRN Intelligence and Information Sharing Act of 2021 Vote postponed.
- H.R. 396: Transit Security Grant Program Flexibility Act Vote postponed.
- H.R. 1532: Improving FHA Support for Small Dollar Mortgages Act of 2021 Vote postponed.
- H.R. 1491: Fair Debt Collection for Servicemembers Act Vote postponed.
- H.R. 1395: Housing Financial Literacy Act of 2021 Vote postponed.
- H.R. 1565: Senior Security Act Vote postponed.
- H.R. 1602: Eliminate Barriers to Innovation Act of 2021 Vote postponed.
- H.Res. 130: Condemning the continued violation of rights and freedoms of the people of Hong Kong by the People’s Republic of China and the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passed 418-1.
- H.Res. 124: Supporting the people of Belarus and their democratic aspirations and condemning the election rigging and subsequent violent crackdowns on peaceful protesters by the illegitimate Lukashenka regime Vote postponed.
- H.R. 965: YALI Act of 2021, as amended Vote postponed.
- H.R. 1392: Protection of Saudi Dissidents Act of 2021, as amended Vote postponed.
- H.R. 1251: Cyber Diplomacy Act of 2021, as amended Vote postponed.
- H.R. 1083: Southeast Asia Strategy Act Passed by voice vote.
- H.R. 241: Tropical Forest and Coral Reef Conservation Act of 2021 Passed by voice vote.
Tuesday after 12pm
- H.R. 1528: Promoting Transparent Standards for Corporate Insiders Act Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 2523: Training in High-demand Roles to Improve Veteran Employment Act, as amended Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 490: DHS MORALE Act Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 370: Quadrennial Homeland Security Review Technical Corrections Act of 2021 Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 367: Homeland Security Acquisition Professional Career Program Act Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 408: Department of Homeland Security Mentor-Protégé Program Act of 2021 Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 397: CBRN Intelligence and Information Sharing Act of 2021 Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 396: Transit Security Grant Program Flexibility Act Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 1532: Improving FHA Support for Small Dollar Mortgages Act of 2021 Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 1491: Fair Debt Collection for Servicemembers Act Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 1395: Housing Financial Literacy Act of 2021 Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 1565: Senior Security Act Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 1602: Eliminate Barriers to Innovation Act of 2021 Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 1251: Cyber Diplomacy Act of 2021, as amended Passed en bloc 355-69.
- H.Res. 124: Supporting the people of Belarus and their democratic aspirations and condemning the election rigging and subsequent violent crackdowns on peaceful protesters by the illegitimate Lukashenka regime Agreed to en bloc 355-69.
- H.R. 965: YALI Act of 2021, as amended Passed en bloc 355-69.
Wednesday after 12pm
- H.R. 1333: NO BAN Act Passed 218-208.
- H.R. 1573: Access to Counsel Act of 2021 Passed 217-207.
- H.R. 1392: Protection of Saudi Dissidents Act of 2021, as amended Passed 350-71.
- H.R. 2630: Extending Temporary Emergency Scheduling of Fentanyl Analogues Act, as amended Passed by voice vote.
Thursday between 9am and 3pm
- H.R. 51: D.C. Admission Act Passed 216-208.
- Additional legislative items are possible.
Monday after 5:30pm
- Cloture motion on the nomination of Lisa Monaco to be Deputy Attorney General Invoked 94-3.
- Schumer motion to proceed to executive session for consideration of the nomination of Vanita Gupta to be Associate Attorney General Agreed to 50-49.
Tuesday after 12pm
- Confirmation of Lisa Monaco as Deputy Attorney General Confirmed 98-2.
- Cloture motion on the nomination of Gary Gensler to be reappointed as a Member of the Securities and Exchange Commission for a term expiring June 5, 2026 Invoked 54-45, 1 present.
- Confirmation of Gary Gensler as reappointed as a Member of the Securities and Exchange Commission for a term expiring June 5, 2026 Confirmed 54-45, 1 present.
Wednesday after 11:30am
- Cloture motion on the nomination of Vanita Gupta to be Associate Attorney General Invoked 51-49.
- Confirmation of Vanita Gupta as Associate Attorney General Confirmed 51-49.
- Motion to discharge the nomination of Colin Kahl to be Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Agreed to 51-50.
Thursday after 11am
- Cruz-Kennedy (#1456) Amendment to S. 937: COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act Not agreed to 49-48 (60 votes required).
- Lee Amendment (#1425) to S. 937: COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act Not agreed to 49-48 (60 votes required).
- Blackburn Amendment (#1458) to S. 937: COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act Not agreed to 46-51 (60 votes required).
- Hirono-Collins Amendment (#1445) to S. 937: COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act Agreed to by unanimous consent.
- S. 937: COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act, as amended Passed 94-1 (60 votes required).
Tell your reps how to vote on this week's bills and share your thoughts below!
— Eric Revell
Jack Daniel's Sues Dog Toy Company For Copyright InfringementWhat's the story? The famous Tennessee whiskey company, Jack Daniel's, is trying to halt the production and marketing of a chewy read more... Food & Agriculture
After Chemical Spill, Philly Residents Have Concerns About Water SafetyWhat’s the story? Over 8,000 gallons of hazardous materials spilled into the drinking supply in the Philadelphia area on Friday, read more... Environment
Nashville School Shooting: What We Know and What We Don’tUpdated March 29, 2023 As the investigation continues, authorities are discovering more about the suspect and his motive, which read more... Public Safety
In Light of Nashville Tragedy, Transgender Youth are Experiencing a Mental Health CrisisUpdated on March 29, 2023 Monday's school shooting in Nashville was found to have been perpetrated by a 28-year-old transgender read more... Upcoming Bills
I feel the need to addresses some comments here. Raising corporate taxes, capital gains taxes, etc. does not raise revenue and if you do a little research you'll see that it usually lowers revenue. Giving people money is not a responsibility of the government as outlined in the Constitution, although I know some don't care about that pesky old document anymore. The 2nd Amendment is not subject to scrutiny due to the number of people criminals shoot. If anything the 2nd Amendment is keeping the number of victims from being higher. Big R Rights are not up for debate and the only acceptable legislation would be bills to reverse the restrictions on those rights that already exist
What is the argument FOR D.C. statehood? (Be honest, now). I have plenty of arguments AGAINST. So does the constitution.
D.C. & Puerto Rica should both be added as states!
What the heck is a covid hate crime? We have laws against violence in all 50 states. Why do the Feds need to create a new law that is redundant, but narrowly focused?
Democrats all the way!!
By following this simple steps on this website, you can bring from $5000-$8000 of extra income every month...All you need is a computer and a internet connection and you are ready to start. Learn how to make a steady income for yourself on following web address...>>>>>> www.Nifty2.com
Devastating to know that not only does the GOP not care about the deficit (shown by their refusal to consider raising corporate taxes), or the people (shown by their refusal to provide relief even when people were starving), or even how many Americans die due to gun relate violence (shown by their refusal to enact gun legislation). I doubt the GOP would even care if it was their hometown heroes or even family members being were being shot, just so long as they themselves could continue raking in the campaign dollars.
There’s no way we need DC has an extra state it’s so corrupt now no way!
DC "statehood" violates Our Sacred Constitution, and any honest reading of Our Great Founding Fathers. Stay true to Our Exceptional Constitution, and all will be great. Violate it, and Earth is doomed.
If the schedule does not include Medicare for all and the Green New Deal then the schedule is never going to be good enough. ALSO PASS COMMON SENSE GUN LEGISLATION TO KEEP GUNS OUT OF DANGEROUS INDIVIDUALS HANDS.
No taxation without representation. It’s our founding principle. Absolutely DC, Puerto Rico, and the other territories should be states. We also need to study ways to reapportion the House and maybe the Senate. The rural areas are wildly over represented. Its past time that we took a hard look at how our government is structured and whether it serves us. The tyranny of the few should not outweigh the needs of the many.
I am interested to see what’s going on with the Voting Rights Bill. I am happy to see that there will be “action” on D.C. statehood. The District’s residents pay healthy taxes yet have no representation in the government. “No taxation without representation”, remember? What’s up with the Senate committee looking at “prevention of undue foreign influence in biomedical research”?! Now, what’s happened?!
If the dems continue to push for DC and Puerto Rico statehood then Idaho will for surely be restructured to include Oregon and northeastern California. You will see a redraw of state lines so it is only fair that rural areas are equally represented within their state rather than underrepresented due to populated cities and represented by progressive liberals that have no idea of the way of life for rural America. Nor do they show interest in caring for rural America. Probably the only authentic American in Democratic Party is Manchin.
You Obstructionist Democrats are totally out of control! DC IS NOT A STATE AND NEVER SHOULD BE. Whoever heard of a state with only one city in it? Will the DC residents have to pay States Taxes along with their City and Federal taxes? If tge want to be a State, go back to Maryland!
Heck no on DC statehood! There was a special reason why DC is not a state! This is nothing more than ANOTHER power grab by the same people who want to pack our Supreme Court & I won't stand for this either! Vote NO. Thank you.
No "haste crimes of any kind". Punish actions, not motives. You can't prove motives. You can prove actions. Block anything the radical, socialist biden ? regime tries.
No, to DC statehood. This is a power grab by Democrats. No, to travel bans on the American people that would require a vaccine passport which ultimately is an attempt to strip all Americans of their freedoms and impose government control by a Democrat dictatorship. Democrats and the MSM continue to incite division then blame it on White people. Many Asians have said who their attackers have been but then the MSM and Democrats go silent or again, lay blame on conservatives or White Supremacists. All the while Maxine Waters engaged in a hate crime encouraging riots and violence if Chauvin is not found guilty. If anyone in the GOP engaged in that type of rhetoric they would be removed from congress. REMOVE MAXINE WATERS FROM CONGRESS FOR HATEFUL RHETORIC AND ENCOURAGING RIOTS AND VIOLENCE!!
Both DC and Puerto Rico should be states. It is a flaw in our system that LA county has more population than 42 states but California only has two Senators. Today’s Republican Party has gone full on QANON and isn’t working for but actually against average working Americans.