U.S. & Israeli Officials to Hold Strategic Meeting on Iran
Do you support the U.S. & Israel coordinating their strategies to counter Iran?
What’s the story?
- National security officials from the U.S. and Israel are set to hold a virtual meeting on Tuesday to continue strategic discussions about Iran and its nuclear ambitions, according to a report by Axios.
- The meeting will be between National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan and Israeli counterpart Meir Ben Shabbat, in addition to other officials from national security and intelligence agencies.
- It’s expected that the meeting will focus on Iran’s support for terror groups in Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, and Yemen, in addition to attacks on Iranian and Israeli ships. It will also cover ongoing talks between Iran and several European nations (and indirectly the U.S.) regarding Iran’s nuclear program. Previous discussions concerned intelligence about Iran’s nuclear program.
- The meeting comes after an explosion at an Iranian nuclear facility occurred on Sunday, which was reportedly due to Israeli sabotage, just one day after Iran began enriching uranium with new advanced centrifuges.
- The enrichment is a violation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which the U.S. withdrew from over other Iranian violations, although Iran and the European nations remain parties to the accord. Britain, France, and Germany have all accused Iran of breaching its commitments under the JCPOA with its enrichment activities and development of nuclear-capable ballistic missiles.
- Since the U.S. withdrawal from the JCPOA, Iran has increased its enrichment of uranium above the 3.67% cap and has resumed enriching uranium at 20% purity. Uranium that has been enriched to 20% has some research uses, but can also undergo further enrichment to reach 90% purity (which is weapons-grade quality), in a relatively quick timeframe.
— Eric Revell
IT:❗FBI agents raid Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, and... Spread the word on the importance of vaccines.Welcome to Wednesday, August 10th, lions, tigers, bears, oh mys... FBI agents searched Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate Monday
FBI Raids Mar-a-Lago, GOP Rushes to Trump's DefenseWhat's the story? FBI agents searched Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate Monday as part of a federal investigation into whether Law Enforcement
Bill: The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 - House Voting This WeekUpdate - August 9, 2022: Senate Democrats passed a major climate, prescription drug, and spending bill on Sunday by a vote of 51 Federal Agencies
Galápagos Island Reintroduces Extinct IguanasWhat’s the story? A species of iguana that went extinct nearly 200 years ago was successfully reintroduced on Santiago Island in Technology