U.S. & Israeli Officials to Hold Strategic Meeting on Iran
Do you support the U.S. & Israel coordinating their strategies to counter Iran?
by Causes | 4.13.21
What’s the story?
- National security officials from the U.S. and Israel are set to hold a virtual meeting on Tuesday to continue strategic discussions about Iran and its nuclear ambitions, according to a report by Axios.
- The meeting will be between National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan and Israeli counterpart Meir Ben Shabbat, in addition to other officials from national security and intelligence agencies.
- It’s expected that the meeting will focus on Iran’s support for terror groups in Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, and Yemen, in addition to attacks on Iranian and Israeli ships. It will also cover ongoing talks between Iran and several European nations (and indirectly the U.S.) regarding Iran’s nuclear program. Previous discussions concerned intelligence about Iran’s nuclear program.
- The meeting comes after an explosion at an Iranian nuclear facility occurred on Sunday, which was reportedly due to Israeli sabotage, just one day after Iran began enriching uranium with new advanced centrifuges.
- The enrichment is a violation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which the U.S. withdrew from over other Iranian violations, although Iran and the European nations remain parties to the accord. Britain, France, and Germany have all accused Iran of breaching its commitments under the JCPOA with its enrichment activities and development of nuclear-capable ballistic missiles.
- Since the U.S. withdrawal from the JCPOA, Iran has increased its enrichment of uranium above the 3.67% cap and has resumed enriching uranium at 20% purity. Uranium that has been enriched to 20% has some research uses, but can also undergo further enrichment to reach 90% purity (which is weapons-grade quality), in a relatively quick timeframe.
— Eric Revell
Homeland Security Committee Reaches Deal on Bipartisan Commission to Investigate January 6th Capitol AttackWhat’s the story? The Democratic and Republican leaders of the House Homeland Security Committee on Friday announced an
by Causes | 5.14.21
IT: Border apprehensions remained high in April, and... Is a lottery jackpot for COVID vaccine recipients a good idea?Welcome to Friday, May 14th, folks...U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) released its operational statistics for the month
by Causes | 5.14.21
Border Apprehensions Continued at Historic Pace in AprilWhat’s the story? U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) released its operational statistics for the month of April on
by Causes | 5.13.21