What’s in President Biden’s $2.25 Trillion Infrastructure Package?
Do you support or oppose the $2.25 trillion infrastructure package?
What’s the story?
- President Joe Biden on Wednesday outlined a $2.25 trillion package he has dubbed the American Jobs Plan, in addition to a package of tax increases that the administration says would offset its cost over 15 years.
- At $2.25 trillion, it would be the largest stimulus package enacted in U.S. history, surpassing the $2.2 trillion CARES Act that became law at the outset of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Biden is also planning to release another plan, the American Families Plan, in mid-April that will likely exceed $1 trillion to expand “social” infrastructure.
- Biden delivered remarks in Pennsylvania and said of his plan:
“It’s about infrastructure. The American Jobs Plan will modernize 20,000 miles of highways, roads, and main streets that are in difficult, difficult shape right now. It’ll fix the nation’s 10 most economically significant bridges in America that require replacement. Remember that bridge that went down? We got 10 of the most economically significant bridges with more commerce going across it that need to be replaced. We’ll also repair 10,000 bridges, desperately needed upgrades to unclog traffic, keep people safe, and connect our cities, towns, and Tribes across the country.”
- Democrats are likely to use the reconciliation process to advance the bill through Congress along party-lines without Republican votes, although the process of crafting the legislation is likely to take a few months.
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) criticized the proposal as a massive tax hike under the guise of infrastructure investment:
“My advice to the Administration: If you want to do an infrastructure bill, let’s do an infrastructure bill. Let’s don’t turn it into a massive effort to raise taxes on businesses and individuals. Let me take you back just a year ago, in February 2020, our country had the best economy it’d had in 50 years, in 50 years, as a result largely of the tax reductions that we passed in 2017 that stimulated an enormous growth of business. Unemployment was at an all-time low for African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans, all Americans... The short answer is I’d love to do an infrastructure bill, I’m not interested in raising taxes across the board on America, I think it will send our economy in the wrong direction.”
What would the plan do?
- $621 billion in transportation infrastructure and resilience, including $174 billion to expand the use of electric vehicles through tax credits and rebates, and building charging stations; $115 billion to modernize bridges, highways, and roads; $85 billion to modernize transit systems; and $80 billion for the Amtrak repair backlog.
- $400 billion to expand services covered under Medicaid.
- $213 billion for building and retrofitting affordable and sustainable housing.
- $180 billion for research and development.
- $111 billion to replace and improve water infrastructure.
- $100 billion to overhaul energy infrastructure.
- $100 billion to build new public schools.
- $50 billion to improve infrastructure resilience.
- Raise the corporate tax rate, which was cut from 35% to 21% in 2017 by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, from 21% to 28%.
- Increase the minimum tax on U.S. corporations to 21% calculated on a country-by-country basis to cover profits in tax havens.
- Enact the PRO Act, which would expand union protections, prohibit right-to-work laws, and prevent the misclassification of employees as independent contractors.
— Eric Revell
(Photo Credit: The White House via Flickr / Public Domain)
The Oldest Orca in Captivity To Be ReleasedWhat’s the story? Lolita the orca, who has lived in captivity at the Miami Seaquarium for more than 50 years, is being released read more... Environment
Trans Day of Visibility: Celebrating Trans People & Highlighting the Mental Health CrisisOn this day of transgender visibility, we're taking time to celebrate the lives of trans people, and raise awareness of the read more... Upcoming Bills
BILL: Banning TikTok - The RESTRICT Act - S.686Updated - March 28, 2023 TikTokers are flooding Washington, D.C., and the platform , urging Congress not to ban TikTok. Users read more... China
DOJ Files Lawsuit Against Norfolk Southern Over Train DerailmentUpdated March 31, 2023 The U.S. Department of Justice filed a lawsuit against Norfolk Southern to ensure the company pays for read more... Environment
@JimK are you running for a Democratic office somewhere? You agree with all this madness?! I can’t believe a sane person would. Most of new proposals are duplicate! Is Biden-Harris laundering money too? Smh 🤦🏼♀️
For the LOVE OF GOD! STOP 🛑 THE SPENDING! I believe Biden is going to bankrupt our beloved country. How does BIDEN-HARRIS plan to pay all this CRAZY money back? We need to put AMERICA FIRST! All that money he is handing out to illegal immigrants would have covered some of this madness. He is truly INSANE!
It is killing the American dream. It is creating a total dependency on the federal government for certain people. Socialism galore.
The American Jobs Plan will provide millions of jobs to people who have been living in a state of dread and uncertainty during the pandemic. It will also protect the physical safety and health for millions of people by fixing physical structures that should have been repaired a long time ago. I also support that it includes the PRO Act which will protect everyday workers and give even more security to people in this country.
Of course I don't support this wish list. Anyone that does is either a Democrat or a fool.
Classifying the PRO Act as infrastructure is such a joke. It is also runs afoul of the limitations governing reconciliation. I suspect that they will either pass the true infrastructure proposals via reconciliation or “negotiate” a more limited bill, which would allow the Republicans to be used as political cover for dropping the more radical parts of Biden’s proposal.
I want to know where all this money actually goes!! All the money from the 1st covid bill hasn’t even been spent & here we are with 3 or 4 bills of a trillion or more out there again. How about OUR government post all the expenditures from every bill so we can make sure every penny is accounted for. We all know there is a lot of pork & payoffs going on that we are paying for. They are just acting irresponsibly as usual. I always thought a bunch goes right back into their pockets. How else do these old politicians afford 3 & 4 houses!!!!!!! Not on the salary we pay them
FINALLY WE HAVE A GOVERNMENT THAT WORKS FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AND NOT JUST THE RICH.
Oppose. This is nothing but pork w/ a bailout for labor unions. Vote no. We want REAL infrastructure. Thank you
What insurrection? Dems conspiracy theories never end.
Anyone who supports this is bat sh*^ crazy! We can’t even get supplies cause people DO NOT want to work! Thanks to the trillions of dollars given to STAY AT HOME! 🤦🏼♀️ I also DO NOT SUPPORT THE LIKES OF TESLA. There have been 2 deadly accidents in the past month. These cars are not safe. The owner is a billionaire and if he wants to invest and gain investors (Pelosi), they can do that publicly.
I support infrastructure bill
WHO IS PAYING FOR THIS?! The rich? Try again! Another partisan piece of pork that we can’t afford.
As Representative Fleischmann stated..."Our critical infrastructure is aging & vulnerable. We saw in Nashville how susceptible our telecomms systems are to attacks. We saw this winter how susceptible our electrical grids are to extreme weather." Vote for this bill.
I support President Biden's infrastructure package! We need it passed ASAP to help families, address climate change, put people to work, and toward addressing income inequities.
It’s about time we invested in middle America in a responsible way!