Know a Nominee: Isabel Guzman to be Administrator of the Small Business Administration
Do you support or oppose Guzman’s nomination?
by Causes | 3.16.21
UPDATE 3/16/21 (3:20pm EDT)
- The Senate voted 81-17 to confirm Isabel Guzman as Administrator of the Small Business Administration (SBA).
UPDATE 3/16/21 (12:45pm EDT)
- The Senate cast a bipartisan vote of 80-18 to limit debate on nomination of Isabel Guzman to be Administrator of the Small Business Administration (SBA) on Tuesday morning. A confirmation vote expected Tuesday afternoon.
The Senate is expected to consider the nomination of Isabel Guzman to be Administrator of the Small Business Administration (SBA) on Tuesday, when a confirmation vote is possible after a procedural vote. Here’s what you need to know about the nominee:
Who is Isabel Guzman?
- Guzman, 49-50, is the director of California’s Office of the Small Business Advocate within the Governor’s Office of Economic Development and has served in that role since April 2019.
- Prior to working for the state of California, Guzman was the deputy chief of staff to the SBA administrator during the Obama administration and also worked as the director of strategic initiatives at ProAmerica Bank.
- Guzman earned her undergraduate degree from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
What’s the outlook for her nomination?
- During her confirmation hearing, senators raised contentious issues such as the impact of a federally-imposed, $15 per hour minimum wage on small businesses, and whether Planned Parenthood qualifies for forgivable Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans intended for small businesses despite having more than 500 employees.
- Guzman said she would review the PPP loan eligibility criteria, but would not offer an opinion on the minimum wage and said she would review research from both sides.
- The Senate Small Business Committee advanced Guzman’s nomination on a bipartisan 15-5 vote.
What does it mean for the SBA?
- The Small Business Administration (SBA) was created in 1953 to help small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- The SBA is the only Cabinet-level federal agency that is solely focused on small businesses.
- SBA provides counseling, access to capital, and contracting expertise to small businesses.
— Eric Revell
(Photo Credit: Guzman: State of California via Wikimedia / Public Domain)
U.S. & Israeli Officials to Hold Strategic Meeting on IranWhat’s the story? National security officials from the U.S. and Israel are set to hold a virtual meeting on Tuesday to continue
by Causes | 4.13.21
IT: 🚨 U.S. warns China using military force against Taiwan 'serious mistake,' and... Should CEOs - and Will Smith - fight restrictive voting laws?Welcome to Tuesday, April 13th, Ps and Qs...More than a 100 corporate executives and leaders got together on a Zoom call
by Causes | 4.13.21
Colorado Considers Legalizing Human Composting - Should More States Follow?What’s the story? Colorado may soon legalize natural organic reduction,” sometimes called “human composting," giving the
by Causes | 4.12.21