Senate to Confirm More of Biden’s Cabinet Nominees
How do you feel about this week’s congressional schedule?
What’s happening in Congress?
- The Senate is set to spend the week confirming more of President Joe Biden’s Cabinet nominees. Last week, the Senate confirmed Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines and Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin.
- It will also take procedural steps to prepare for next month’s impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump after the House transmits the article of impeachment.
- The Senate will vote on the confirmation of Janet Yellen to serve as Secretary of the Treasury on Monday evening. The Senate Foreign Relations Committee is expected to advance the nomination of Antony Blinken to serve as Secretary of State, ahead of a possible confirmation vote as early as Tuesday.
- Additionally, the Senate will receive the article of impeachment against former President Trump on Monday, which will allow impeachment managers and the president’s counsel to be sworn on Tuesday. The legal teams will then prepare for the beginning of the impeachment trial on Monday, February 8th.
- Committees will hold hearings on the nominations of Gina Raimondo to be Secretary of Commerce, Jennifer Granholm to be Secretary of Energy, Linda Thomas-Greenfield to be Ambassador to the United Nations, Denis McDonough to be Secretary of Veterans Affairs, and Rep. Marcia Fudge (D-OH) to be Secretary of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- No votes are expected on the House floor this week, as members are on a “district work period.” The chamber is scheduled to return from recess next week, with floor votes possible on Tuesday, February 2nd.
- Several committees will hold hearings to organize their membership and procedures for the 117th Congress, and a hearing will be held on COVID-19 safety for public transportation workers and passengers.
Check below throughout the week to see the vote results and updates to the schedule.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
- No votes are expected.
Monday after 5:30pm
- Confirmation vote on the nomination of Janet Yellen to be Secretary of the Treasury Confirmed 84-15.
Tuesday after 12pm
- Confirmation vote on the nomination of Antony Blinken to be Secretary of State Confirmed 78-22.
Thursday after 1:45pm
- Cloture motion on the nomination of Alejandro Mayorkas to be Secretary of Homeland Security Invoked 55-42.
Tell your reps how to vote on this week's bills and share your thoughts below!
— Eric Revell
Cut Emissions To Save Lives and Catastrophe, Urgently Warns New UN Climate ReportWhat’s the story? A new climate report from the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says the planet is on read more... Environment
Watch & Comment: TikTok CEO Testifies Before the House Energy and Commerce CommitteeWhat's the story? On March 22, TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew is due to appear before Congress to testify on the app's consumer privacy read more... China
Biden Urges Congress to Pass Legislation Regulating BanksWhat’s the story? President Biden has asked Congress to pass legislation granting financial regulators new powers to enforce read more... Deficits & Debt
Lunchables Will Soon Be Sold in School CafeteriasWhat’s the story? Lunchables will be sold in school cafeterias starting this fall as the product is updated to comply with read more... Families