House to Call for the 25th Amendment to Be Invoked, Impeach President Trump Again
How do you feel about this week’s congressional schedule?
by This Week in Congress | 1.13.21
What’s happening in Congress?
- The House is expected to spend this week pursuing the removal of President Donald Trump through two mechanisms ― the 25th Amendment and impeachment.
- After a pro forma session on Monday, the House will spend Tuesday considering a resolution calling for Vice President Mike Pence and the Cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment to strip President Donald Trump of his authority.
- Democratic leadership indicated that if Pence and the Cabinet don’t invoke the 25th Amendment within 24 hours of the above resolution’s adoption, the House will consider an article of impeachment against President Trump for “inciting insurrection” through his actions and remarks prior to the riot at the Capitol.
- The House’s consideration of the article of impeachment will likely occur Wednesday night, although that timing is subject to change. Its schedule for the rest of the week is yet to be announced, although a censure and expulsion resolutions could be brought to the floor.
- The Senate is on recess this week and aside from pro forma sessions on Tuesday and Thursday at which no business will be considered. The next scheduled session where regular business will be conducted is expected to be Tuesday, January 19th.
- If the House adopts an article of impeachment against President Donald Trump and the Senate is unable to reach unanimous consent to conduct business during a pro forma session, the Senate wouldn’t be able to begin a trial until Wednesday, January 20th at the earliest.
Check below throughout the week to see the vote results and updates to the schedule.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
- Pro forma session, no votes.
Tuesday after 9am
- H.Res. 21: Calling for Vice President Pence and the Cabinet to Invoke the 25th Amendment Adopted 223-205.
Wednesday after 9am
- H.Res. 24: Impeaching President Donald J. Trump for Inciting Insurrection Adopted 232-197.
Rest of the Week
- To be announced.
- The Senate will hold pro forma sessions on Tuesday and Friday, no votes are expected.
- The Senate’s next regularly scheduled business day is Tuesday, January 19th.
Tell your reps how to vote on this week's bills and share your thoughts below!
— Eric Revell
Senate to Hold Confirmation Hearings for Biden Cabinet Nominees, Potentially Begin Impeachment TrialWhat’s happening in Congress? Both chambers of Congress are set to return to the Capitol this week for a work period that will
by This Week in Congress | 1.16.21
The 117th Congress Convenes for the First Time, House to Vote on Rules PackageWhat’s happening in Congress? The 117th Congress convenes for the first time on Sunday, January 3, 2021, as lawmakers take their
by This Week in Congress | 1.5.21
Congress to Attempt to Override President Trump’s Veto of Defense BillWhat’s happening in Congress? Congress will convene this week to hold votes on overriding President Donald Trump’s veto of the
by This Week in Congress | 1.1.21