Congress to Attempt to Override President Trump’s Veto of Defense Bill
How do you feel about this week’s congressional schedule?
by This Week in Congress | 1.1.21
What’s happening in Congress?
- Congress will convene this week to hold votes on overriding President Donald Trump’s veto of the annual defense authorization bill.
- Additionally, if President Trump decides not to sign the $1.4 trillion omnibus spending bill and $900 billion coronavirus relief package, Congress will likely vote on legislation to avert or conclude a partial government shutdown that would begin at 11:59:59pm Eastern on Monday night if the legislation isn’t enacted. If the president vetoes the package, Congress may vote to override that veto as well.
- This week is the final week of the 116th Congress, as the 117th Congress is expected to be seated on Sunday, January 3, 2021 ― although lawmakers may still vote to move the first day of the new Congress back until Monday to avoid beginning the new session on a weekend.
- The House will convene Monday to vote on overriding President Trump’s veto of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for FY2021, which will require a two-thirds majority to succeed. Trump vetoed the defense package last week, citing several concerns.
- There may be additional legislation considered by the House before it adjourns for the week, such as a short-term continuing resolution to fund the government into the new year and a bill to increase the size of stimulus checks in the coronavirus relief package in line with President Trump’s request.
- The Senate will meet Tuesday and is expected to try to override the president’s veto of the NDAA if the House’s override vote succeeds.
- Additional votes on legislation to avoid or end a partial government shutdown or provide coronavirus relief are possible and could be announced in the next few days.
Check below throughout the week to see the vote results and updates to the schedule.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
Monday after 6:30pm
- H.R. 9051: CASH Act Passed 275-134.
- Overriding the veto of H.R. 6395: William M. “Mac” Thornberry National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021 Passed 322-87.
Rest of the Week
- To be announced.
- No votes are expected, pro forma session.
- No votes.
Wednesday after 12pm
- Motion to proceed to overriding the veto of H.R. 6395: William M. “Mac” Thornberry National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021 Agreed to 80-12.
- No votes are scheduled.
- Cloture motion on overriding the veto of H.R. 6395: William M. “Mac” Thornberry National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021 Invoked 80-12.
- Overriding the veto of H.R. 6395: William M. “Mac” Thornberry National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021Passed 81-13.
Tell your reps how to vote on this week's bills and share your thoughts below!
— Eric Revell
Senate to Hold Confirmation Hearings for Biden Cabinet Nominees, Potentially Begin Impeachment TrialWhat’s happening in Congress? Both chambers of Congress are set to return to the Capitol this week for a work period that will
by This Week in Congress | 1.22.21
House to Call for the 25th Amendment to Be Invoked, Impeach President Trump AgainWhat’s happening in Congress?The House is expected to spend this week pursuing the removal of President Donald Trump through two
by This Week in Congress | 1.13.21
The 117th Congress Convenes for the First Time, House to Vote on Rules PackageWhat’s happening in Congress? The 117th Congress convenes for the first time on Sunday, January 3, 2021, as lawmakers take their
by This Week in Congress | 1.5.21