Senate Returns for Judicial Nominations, Russia Probe Hearing While House Continues Recess
How do you feel about this week’s congressional schedule?
by This Week in Congress | 11.12.20
What’s happening in Congress?
- The Senate will return for its first work week after the election, while the House continues its fall recess for another week.
- The Senate starts its week on Monday with a procedural vote on the nomination of James Ray Knepp II to be a U.S. District Judge for the Northern District of Ohio. If it succeeds, a confirmation vote would likely occur Tuesday.
- The Senate hasn’t announced a schedule beyond the consideration of the Knepp nomination, but it may take up the nominations to several district court judgeships that had been teed up for consideration prior to the Senate shifting its focus to the confirmation of Justice Amy Coney Barrett.
- Committees will hold hearings on oversight of the Crossfire Hurricane investigation with testimony from Andrew McCabe, examining financial regulators, and several executive branch nominations.
- The House is on recess and isn’t slated to return for votes until Monday, November 16th. Lawmakers may be recalled for votes with at least 24 hours of notice.
- Committees will hold hearings on oversight of financial institutions and regulators during the pandemic.
Check below throughout the week to see the vote results and updates to the schedule.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
Monday after 5:30pm
- Cloture motion on the nomination of James Ray Knepp II to be U.S. District Judge for the Northern District of Ohio Invoked 62-23.
Tuesday after 2:15pm
- Confirmation of James Ray Knepp II to be U.S. District Judge for the Northern District of Ohio Confirmed 64-24.
- Pre-cloture debate on Cannon nomination.
Thursday after 12pm
- Cloture motion on the nomination of Aileen Mercedes Cannon to be U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of Florida Invoked 57-21.
- Confirmation of Aileen Mercedes Cannon to be U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of Florida Confirmed 56-21.
- No votes are expected. Members could be recalled with at least 24 hours of notice.
Tell your reps how to vote on this week's bills and share your thoughts below!
— Eric Revell
House to Vote on Marijuana Decriminalization, Senate to Take Up NominationsWhat’s happening in Congress? Congress returns this week from Thanksgiving recess facing a December 11th deadline to pass
by This Week in Congress | 12.2.20
House Returns From Recess, Senate Considers Nominations to District Courts and the FedWhat’s happening in Congress? The House returns from its pre- and post-election recess this week for a five day work week, while
by This Week in Congress | 11.20.20
Senate Sets Timeline for Confirming Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme CourtWhat’s happening in Congress? The Senate is debating Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination to the Supreme Court over the weekend
by This Week in Congress | 10.26.20