IT: Key quotes from Judge Amy Coney Barrett's hearings, and... ⚠️ Are you concerned about election crises?
Join the 31,979 people who've taken action on Causes this week
by Causes | 10.15.20
Welcome to Thursday, October 15th, thrifty and over-spenders...
Judge Amy Coney Barrett has completed her in-person testimony.
The final day of Barrett’s in-person testimony included a number of notable exchanges, and we’ve broken down several here, including:
- Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) pressed Barrett about one of her academic writings which took issue with the 5-4 majority opinion authored by Chief Justice John Roberts in an Affordable Care Act case, which upheld the ACA’s individual mandate as a “penalty” rather than a “tax."
- Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) asked Barrett whether she would support allowing cameras to broadcast SCOTUS proceedings, an issue he has long advocated for with Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL). Barrett:
“I would certainly keep an open mind about allowing cameras in the Supreme Court.”
- Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA), the Democratic vice presidential nominee, went back and forth with Barrett over COVID-19 (which Barrett had over the summer and recovered from), smoking, and climate change, at which point the nominee utilized the Ginsburg rule.
On the Radar
SCOTUS Allows Trump Admin to Halt Census While Appeals Court Hears Case
The Supreme Court on Tuesday granted a request by the Trump administration to stop its headcount of the decennial Census while a lawsuit concerning the issue plays out in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
SCOTUS' decision comes after U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, California suspended the Census’ September 30th deadline for completing its headcount and a December 31st deadline established by Congress for submitting data for determining congressional apportionment.
The Census then picked an October 5th deadline, which Koh also struck down, although an appellate court panel partially reversed her ruling to reinstate the December 31st deadline.
The Supreme Court’s decision will allow the Census headcount to remain paused while the case is heard by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and a decision is issued, at which point the case may again be appealed to the Supreme Court.
Under the Radar
Election Risks: Postponing the Election, Stopping the Ballot Count, Swapping Electors, SCOTUS
Election Day is three weeks away, and the coronavirus pandemic, rampant falsehoods about voting security, misrepresentations about mail-in ballots, and a hobbling of the United States Postal Service have set the stage for a full-blown election crisis.
America is facing a number of risks and potential threats never expected on our shores, including:
- President Donald Trump has continually refused to commit to a peaceful transition of power.
- The president continues to claim, without evidence, that mail-in voting is ripe for fraud and absentee ballots may be "manipulated." For this reason, Trump has openly, preemptively stated he is unlikely to accept the results of November's election—if he loses.
- Trump has already declared that he expects the Supreme Court will need to intervene and "look at the ballots" in what he calls a "rigged election."
Read about all the potential risks, then join the conversation:
Kansas, Tennessee, Rhode Island, Arizona, Georgia, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Nebraska, Maine, Montana, Illinois, New Jersey, Vermont, Virginia, Wyoming, Minnesota, and South Dakota in early voting have started voting. Click here to find out when you can vote.
And, in the End…
It's National Pug Day.
Hugs and pugs to all of you,
Talk to us via email at editorial [at] causes.com. And don’t forget to keep in touch @Causes.
IT: Poll workers urgently needed near you, and... 🌿 Do you support ballot measures legalizing marijuana?Welcome to Wednesday, October 21st, tenors and sopranos... America is facing a record shortage of poll workers this year due to
by Causes | 10.21.20
Senate Dems Block PPP Small Business Funds & Pre-Existing Protections Bill as GOP Rejects Schumer Adjournment MotionWhat’s the story? The Senate remains at an impasse over coronavirus relief measures, as votes held Tuesday on another infusion
by Causes | 10.20.20
IT: California GOP installs unofficial drop boxes, and... 📱 Time to reform social media liability protections?Welcome to Tuesday, October 20th, shampoos and conditioners...Are you placing your ballot in an official drop box?California’s
by Causes | 10.20.20