COVID-19 is Claiming the Lives of Blacks & Hispanics at Higher Rates Than Asians & Whites
Join the 21,994 people who've taken action on Causes this week
by Covid-19 Health Resource Center | 8.4.20
What’s the story?
- Black and Hispanic Americans are dying from coronavirus (COVID-19) at higher rates than their white peers, according to Centers for Disease Control Prevention (CDC) data compiled by USAFacts.
- After adjusting for population, the COVID-19 death rates for Black and Hispanic Americans are higher than those of White & Asian Americans in every age group.
- In all age groups, Black people are experiencing the highest death rates, while death rates among Asians generally fall between those of White & Hispanic populations as this USAFacts chart shows:
- The gap between Black & Hispanic Americans and their White counterparts is at its largest in younger age groups. This USAFacts chart breaks down the disparity by age group, which shows that, for example, in the 35-44 age group Black people are over 8 times more likely to die than Whites, while Hispanics are over 7 times more likely to die than Whites:
- The disparities in COVID-19 death rates vary not only among racial groups, but between states. For example, the COVID-19 death rate for Blacks over the age of 65 in Wisconsin was 9.9 times higher than Whites as this USAFacts chart shows:
- USAFacts notes:
“As this data shows, tracking the experience of COVID-19 by race and age is critical to understanding which populations are being disproportionately impacted by the pandemic. It is essential that the CDC continues to update this data. It is also critical for more state and local public health agencies to disaggregate their COVID-19 data by race for a fuller account of differences by state. With this data, public health officials can target policies to best address the disparities in death rates experienced by racial groups shown in the CDC data.”
— Eric Revell
(Photo Credit: iStock.com / JONGHO SHIN)
COVID-19 Pandemic Presents Income Challenges for Older AmericansThis content leverages data from USAFacts, a non-profit that visualizes governmental data. You can learn more on
by Covid-19 Health Resource Center | 8.5.20
Gilead Announces $3,120 Price Tag for Its COVID-19 Treatment RemdesivirGilead Sciences has announced pricing for remdesivir, the first medicine shown to have an impact on COVID-19. The four-digit
by Covid-19 Health Resource Center | 7.21.20
Moderna’s COVID-19 Vaccine Enters Phase 3 TrialModerna's mRNA-1273, an mRNA vaccine candidate, is expected to enter its Phase 3 study this month. This is exciting news—but
by Covid-19 Health Resource Center | 7.12.20