How to Wear a Face Mask and Not Fog Glasses
Share these useful tips with glasses-wearers.
by Covid-19 Health Resource Center | 4.22.20
Glasses wearer can plainly see (or not) that wearing a mask to prevent the spread of COVID-19 causes lens to fog up.
While taking off your glasses and wiping them down is a simple enough solution in most circumstances, this isn't necessarily the best move if you're outdoors in the middle of a pandemic.
So, what's a bespeckled citizen to do? Luckily, there are a few simple tips to keep glasses from fogging up while wearing a face mask or covering.
Tighten the seal at the top of your mask
- Glasses fog up while you're wearing a face mask because the mask redirects your breath upwards, rather than forwards, forming droplets on the lenses that condense and fog your lenses up.
- To prevent this, a tighter seal on the top of the mask can reduce the amount of breath that releases droplets onto your lenses, reducing fogging.
- A nose clip, built-in-metal wire on some masks, or a bit of tape adhered to your mask can all be used to tighten your mask's seal.
Add tissues to the inside of your mask
- Adding folded tissues to the inside top of your face mask or covering can absorb warm droplets from your breath, also reducing fogging. (Editor's Note: This is what I do. It works better than I expected.)
- If you go this route, remember to dispose of the tissues after each use.
Use a commercial anti-fog spray
- Anti-fog sprays used for swimmers' or divers' goggles can also be used on glasses.
- Some anti-fog sprays can cause irritation, so be sure to research non-irritating sprays before purchase.
- If an anti-fog spray causes irritation, discontinue use immediately.
Share these tips with your glasses-wearing friends to help them stay safe and clear-sighted during the pandemic. And if you're found an effective way to stop your lenses from fogging while wearing a mask, share your tips in the comments below (or patent it).
(Image Credit: iStockphoto.com / freemixer)
COVID-19 Pandemic Presents Income Challenges for Older AmericansThis content leverages data from USAFacts, a non-profit that visualizes governmental data. You can learn more on
by Covid-19 Health Resource Center | 8.5.20
COVID-19 is Claiming the Lives of Blacks & Hispanics at Higher Rates Than Asians & WhitesThis content leverages data from USAFacts, a non-profit that visualizes governmental data. You can learn more on
by Covid-19 Health Resource Center | 8.4.20
Gilead Announces $3,120 Price Tag for Its COVID-19 Treatment RemdesivirGilead Sciences has announced pricing for remdesivir, the first medicine shown to have an impact on COVID-19. The four-digit
by Covid-19 Health Resource Center | 7.21.20