Committee Watch: Trump Impeachment Presentations & Alleged Surveillance Abuse
How do you feel about this week's committee hearings?
Before bills and nominations are brought up for a passage vote in Congress, they typically have to be considered and approved by relevant committees ― which also conduct oversight of federal agencies. Here’s a look at what congressional committees will be holding hearings on this week.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
- The House Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing titled “The Impeachment Inquiry into President Donald J. Trump: Presentations from the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and House Judiciary Committee”. 9am
- The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing titled “Encryption and Lawful Access: Evaluating Benefits and Risks to Public Safety and Privacy”. 10am
- The House Oversight Committee will hold a hearing titled “Examining the Need for Comprehensive National Paid Family and Medical Leave”. 10am
- The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing titled “Examining the Inspector General’s Report on Alleged Abuses of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act” featuring testimony from Justice Dept. Inspector General Michael Horowitz. 10am
- The House Transportation Committee will hold a hearing titled “The Boeing 737 MAX: Examining the Federal Aviation Administration’s Oversight of the Aircraft’s Certification”. 10am
- The Senate Armed Services Committee will hold closed hearings to examine an update on the situation and U.S. strategy in Afghanistan. 2:30pm
- The House Education Committee will hold a hearing titled “Examining the Education Department’s Implementation of Borrower Defense” with testimony from Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. 9am
- The Senate Armed Services Committee will receive a closed briefing on national security issues in the Middle East. 10am
See the full Senate committee schedule here.
See the full House committee schedule here.
Tell your reps what you think they should be focusing on and share your thoughts on the week’s schedule in the comments below!
― Eric Revell
Feds Claim Civil Rights Violation on Waste System in Black CommunityWhat's the story? Lowndes County, Alabama, a majority Black community, has long been relying on outdated pipes to pump human read more... Environment
Biden Admin Seeks to Change Misleading Recycling LogoWhat's the story? The familiar recycling logo, with its triangular chasing arrows, has been a universal symbol for five decades. read more... Environment
AI's Risk to Democracy - TrackerGenerative AI poses a significant risk to democracy. One that we need to address rapidly before significant harm is done. Most read more... Artificial Intelligence
Countries Are Banning Vapes - Should More Do the Same?What’s the story? Countries worldwide are introducing legislation to ban or restrict vapes due to concerns over their popularity read more... Food & Agriculture