More Than 100 Groups Tell Congress to Oppose Weakening National Park Protections
Join the 34,753 people who've taken action on Causes this week
by Causes | 4.24.18
What’s the story?
- To coincide with National Park Week, 122 groups have sent a letter to Congress, urging members to oppose “legislation weakening the Antiquities Act or codifying attempts to shrink or eliminate national monuments.”
Why signed the letter?
- The coalition includes the League of Conservation Voters, the Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund, National Parks Conservation Association, the American Civil Liberties Union, the Human Rights Campaign, National Immigration Law Center, the Service Employees International Union, and the National Center for Transgender Equality.
Why was the letter sent?
- Earlier this year, President Donald Trump signed off on cutting Utah’s Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monuments by two million acres—the largest rollback of public-land protections in U.S. history.
- The Trump administration has said it is considering reducing the boundaries of additional national and marine monuments.
What does the letter say?
- The letter urges Congress to “support telling a more inclusive story of our nation's public lands by rejecting attempts to gut the law that helps protect these places.”
- The 122 organizations write:
“Any attack on our public lands, monuments, oceans, and waters is an attack on our communities, our history, our contributions to this great nation, and our culture; and it robs the next generation of a chance to learn from these shared treasures. It has often been said that our nation’s public lands system is one of our best ideas; we must now come together to protect these special places.”
What do you think?
Do you stand with the groups urging Congress to oppose “legislation weakening the Antiquities Act or codifying attempts to shrink or eliminate national monuments”? Hit Take Action and let them know, then share your thoughts below.
- Trump Admin. to Reopen Vast Areas to Offshore Drilling
- Trump Shrinking Utah National Monuments
- Should U.S. Drill, Mine for Energy on National Monuments?
- Trump Signs Executive Order 'Reviewing' Recently Designated National Monuments
- Should Trump Rescind the National Monuments Obama Protected?
- Zinke Argues for Balance Between Nat'l Monuments & Economic Development
(Photo Credit: Bill_Vorasate / iStock)
Black Friday or Black Plague? Here Are Best Buy's Holiday PlansWe covered the major retailers this week. We close with Best Buy:
by Causes | 11.27.20
Black Friday or Black Plague? Here Are Target's Holiday PlansWe'll be covering the major retailers this week. We continue with Target.
by Causes | 11.26.20
Unauthorized Immigrants in the Census, Foreign Sovereign Immunities, and More on the Supreme Court’s December DocketWhat's the story? The Supreme Court convenes for its December argument session on Monday, November 30th. The December session
by Causes | 11.26.20