Committee Watch: Bipartisan Border Crisis Recommendations, Census Cybersecurity, and Deep Space Exploration
How do you feel about this week's committee hearings?
by Causes | 7.15.19
Before bills and nominations are brought up for a passage vote in Congress, they typically have to be considered and approved by relevant committees ― which also conduct oversight of federal agencies. Here’s a look at what congressional committees will be holding hearings on this week.
Schedule subject to change. All times Eastern.
- The House Oversight Committee will hold a hearing titled “Violations of the Hatch Act Under the Trump Administration, Part II: Kellyanne Conway”. 4pm
- The Senate Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing on the expected nomination of Mark Esper to be Secretary of Defense. 9:30am
- The Senate Banking Committee will hold a hearing titled “Examining Facebook’s Proposed Digital Currency and Data Privacy Considerations”. 10am
- The House Science, Space, and Technology Committee will hold a hearing titled “The Legacy of Apollo”. 10am
- The House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis will hold a hearing titled “Solving the Climate Crisis: Cleaning Up Heavy Duty Vehicles, Protecting Communities”. 10am
- The Senate Homeland Security Committee will hold a hearing titled “2020 Census: Conducting a Secure and Accurate Count”. 2:30pm
- The Senate Homeland Security Committee will hold a roundtable hearing titled “Unprecedented Migration at the U.S. Southern Border: Bipartisan Policy Recommendations from the Homeland Security Advisory Council”. 9:15am
- The Senate Committee on Aging will hold a hearing titled “Combatting Robocall Fraud: Using Telecom Advances and Law Enforcement to Stop Scammers and Protect Seniors”. 9:30am
- The House Judiciary Committee will markup a bill related to humanitarian standards for individuals in the custody of Customs and Border Protection. 10am
- The House Foreign Affairs Committee will vote on eight bills, including legislation related to the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. 10am
- The Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee will hold a hearing titled “Moon to Mars: NASA’s Plans for Deep Space Exploration” featuring testimony from NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine. 10am
- The House Financial Services Committee will hold a hearing titled “Examining Facebook’s Proposed Cryptocurrencyand Its Impact on Consumers, Investors, and the American Financial System”. 10am
- The Senate Environment & Public Works Committee will hold a hearing titled “Electric Battery Production and Waste: Opportunities and Challenges”. 10am
- The House Oversight Committee will hold a hearing with Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Kevin McAleenan. 10am
- The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing to vote on the nominations of four district court judges and two bills. 10am
- The Senate Banking Committee will hold a hearing titled “Export Control Reform Implementation: Outside Perspectives”. 10am
- The Senate Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry Committee will hold a hearing titled “Agricultural Research and 2018 Farm Bill Implementation”. 10:30am
See the full Senate committee schedule here.
See the full House committee schedule here.
Tell your reps what you think they should be focusing on and share your thoughts on the week’s schedule in the comments below!
― Eric Revell
Black Friday or Black Plague? Here Are Best Buy's Holiday PlansWe covered the major retailers this week. We close with Best Buy:
by Causes | 11.27.20
Black Friday or Black Plague? Here Are Target's Holiday PlansWe'll be covering the major retailers this week. We continue with Target.
by Causes | 11.26.20
Unauthorized Immigrants in the Census, Foreign Sovereign Immunities, and More on the Supreme Court’s December DocketWhat's the story? The Supreme Court convenes for its December argument session on Monday, November 30th. The December session
by Causes | 11.26.20