43% of Americans say Socialism Would Be Good For the Country – Do You Agree?
Do you think socialism would be good for the country?
by Causes | 5.27.19
What’s the story?
- 43% of Americans believe that some sort of socialism would be good for the country while 51% say it would be bad, according to a recent Gallup survey.
What are the numbers?
- 43% of Americans say socialism would be a good thing for the country.
- 51% believe socialism would be a bad thing for the country.
- 6% have no opinion
- Gallup contrasts these numbers with a 1942 Roper/Fortune survey which found 40% describing socialism as a bad thing, 25% a good thing, and 34% of Americans having no opinion.
Trump: “America will never be a socialist country”
- In March, President Donald Trump denounced Democrats as the party of “the socialist nightmare” and vowed America will never succumb to the threat of socialism.
"We believe in the American dream, not in the socialist nightmare," he said to boisterous applause at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). “America will never be a socialist country. Socialism is not about the environment, it’s not about justice, it is not about virtue. Socialism is about only one thing: it’s called power for the ruling class.”
What is Democratic Socialism?
While the tenets of democratic socialism vary depending on whom you ask, because the largest (and most well-known) organization is the Democratic Socialists of America, we’ll use DSA to explain the term.
Policies the DSA supports
- “Social and economic decisions should be made by those whom they most affect” with the end goal of meeting public needs instead of turning a profit.
- Nationalizing the entire healthcare industry through a single-payer system (“Medicare for All”).
- Ending “the influence of money in politics.”
- Strengthening unions.
- A federal jobs guarantee.
- Abolishing ICE.
- Restoring Glass-Steagall protections.
- Free and legal abortions.
- Tuition-free college.
- Rent control because “housing is a human right.”
- Equal rights and protections for all those who identify as LGBTQIA+, including rights to jobs, education, housing, and healthcare.
- Restructuring “gender and cultural relationships to be more equitable.”
What do you think?
Do you think socialism would be bad for the country? Or do you support socialist policies? Take action and tell your reps, then share your thoughts below.
(Photo Credit: Michael Vadon via Flickr)
IT: 🤬 SCOTUS rules cheerleader's "F****!" are protected speech, and... Are you concerned about microplastics in your diet?Welcome to Thursday, June 24th, smokes and fires...@&!# yeah! The Supreme Court has ruled that a cheerleader's profane
by Causes | 6.24.21
Know a Nominee: Candace Jackson-Akiwumi to the Seventh Circuit Court of AppealsUPDATE 6/23/21 The Senate voted 53-47 to limit debate on Jackson-Akiwumi’s nomination, setting up a confirmation vote on
by Causes | 6.23.21
IT: GOP block voting rights bill, and... 🏀Should NCAA student-athletes receive educational benefits?Welcome to Wednesday, June 23rd, rilers and whisperers...Senate Republicans voted Tuesday to defeat a procedural motion that
by Causes | 6.23.21