Should the U.S. Continue to Celebrate Confederate Memorial Day?
Should we continue celebrating Confederate Memorial Day?
by Causes | 5.25.20
What's the story?
- Today, Americans on both sides of the Mason-Dixon are setting off legal and illegal fireworks in honor of those who gave their lives fighting for the stars and stripes.
- Throughout the south, however, a handful of states have another holiday to honor those who died fighting for the stars and bars.
Which states honor those who died in the Civil War?
Confederate Memorial Day is an official state holiday in Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina. It is unofficially observed in most southern states.
- Alabama, Florida, and Georgia celebrate Confederate Memorial Day on the fourth Monday in April.
- Mississippi observes Confederate Memorial Day on the last Monday in April.
- South Carolina honors Confederate soldiers on May 10.
- Virginia calls the last Monday in May Confederate Memorial Day.
- Louisiana celebrates Confederate Memorial Day on June 3, the same day Tennessee observes Confederate Decoration Day.
- Texas observes Confederate Heroes Day on January 19.
What do you think?
Do you support a Memorial Day honoring Confederate soldiers? Take action and tell your reps, then share your thoughts below.
(Photo Credit: Art Anderson / Creative Commons)
IT: 🏛 Progressives push for Biden to pack SCOTUS, and.... Do you hope a conservative-majority court overturns Roe v. Wade?Welcome to Thursday, October 29th, open- and closed-collars...Judge Amy Coney Barrett has officially been appointed to the
by Causes | 10.29.20
AOC, Progressives Push for Democrats to Pack the Supreme Court as Biden BalksWhat’s the story? Prominent progressive Democrats are pushing to “pack” the Supreme Court by increasing the number of justices
by Causes | 10.28.20
IT: 📪 USPS says it's too late to mail your ballot - we've got your dropbox or polling station, and... Should COVID-19 coverage be an election law violation?Welcome to Wednesday, October 28th, in-person and drop-boxers...With six-days to Election Day, the United States Postal Service
by Causes | 10.28.20