White House Scraps Deal Between MLB and Cuba – Do You Support Ending the Deal?
Do you support canceling the deal between MLB and Cuba?
by Causes | 4.9.19
What’s the story?
- The Trump administration has cancelled a deal between Major League Baseball and the Cuban Baseball Federation that had made it easier for Cuban baseball players to join U.S. teams.
What was the deal?
- The deal, which was initially negotiated under President Barack Obama and went into effect this December, had allowed Cuban citizens to play for MLB teams without being forced to first defect from the communist-run island (and risk being banned from re-entering Cuba).
"The agreement with MLB seeks to stop the trafficking of human beings, encourage cooperation and raise the level of baseball. Attacks with political motivation against the agreement achieved harm (to) the athletes, their families and the fans," the state-run CBF said in a statement to CNN.
What are people saying?
Supporters of ending the deal
- The White House argued that because the CBF is part of the Cuban government, and trade with the country is banned, the deal is nullified.
- "The U.S. does not support actions that would institutionalize a system by which a Cuban government entity garnishes the wages of hard-working athletes who simply seek to live and compete in a free society," National Security Council spokesman Garrett Marquis said in a statement.
"The Administration looks forward to working with MLB to identify ways for Cuban players to have the individual freedom to benefit from their talents, and not as property of the Cuban State."
Critics of ending the deal
- "We stand by the goal of the agreement, which is to end the human trafficking of baseball players from Cuba," an MLB statement said.
"The agreement with #MLB seeks to stop the trafficking of human beings, encourage cooperation and raise the level of baseball," the Cuban Baseball Federation said in a message on Twitter as quoted by Reuters. "Any contrary idea is false news. Attacks with political motivation against the agreement achieved harm the athletes, their families and the fans."
What do you think?
Do you support ending the deal between MLB and Cuba? Take action and tell your reps, then share your thoughts below.
(Photo Credit: iStockphoto.com / Ron Reiring)
IT: ❌ Trump allies ask courts to nullify Biden wins, and... Who should be the first to get a COVID-19 vaccine?Welcome to Tuesday, December 2, trash and treasure...Allies of President Trump want a federal court in Michigan to force Gov.
by Causes | 12.2.20
Healthcare Workers and Nursing Home Residents to Be Prioritized for COVID-19 VaccineWhat's the story? The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices voted Tuesday to recommend that the first COVID-19
by Causes | 12.1.20
Attorney General Barr Appoints Durham as Special Counsel to Continue Investigating Origins of Russia Collusion ProbeWhat’s the story? Attorney General William Barr on Tuesday told the Associated Press that he appointed U.S. Attorney John Durham
by Causes | 12.1.20