Poll: 58 Percent of Americans Oppose Blackface – Do You?
Do you oppose blackface makeup?
by Causes | 2.7.19
What’s the story?
- 58 percent of all Americans say it’s “unacceptable” for a “white person to wear blackface makeup,” according to a new poll by YouGov.
- The polling comes amid ongoing blackface scandals in Virginia: Gov. Ralph Northam (D) is being pressured to resign after appearing in a racist 1984 yearbook photo which depicts two people in blackface and Ku Klux Klan attire; the state’s attorney general, Mark Herring, has also admitted to having worn blackface in college.
What are the numbers?
The issue is not (sorry) black and white:
- 58% percent of all those surveyed say blackface makeup is unacceptable.
- 16% of Americans say it’s acceptable to paint your face black.
- 81% of Democrats say blackface is unacceptable, 6% say it is acceptable.
- 44% of Republicans say blackface is unacceptable, 29% say it’s acceptable.
- 57% of white people say blackface is unacceptable vs. 19% who say it’s ok.
- 73% of African Americans say blackface is unacceptable vs. 6% who say it’s ok.
What do you think?
Is it acceptable or unacceptable for a white person to wear blackface makeup? Should Gov. Northam resign? Take action and tell your reps, then share your thoughts below.
IT: Investigating sexual harassment claims against Gov. Cuomo, and... ⚖️ How do you feel about SCOTUS' March?Welcome to Tuesday, March 2nd, drums and bass...New York Governor Andrew Cuomo (D) has been accused of sexual harassment by two
by Causes | 3.2.21
Voting Rights, College Athletes’ Ability to Earn Money, & More on the Supreme Court’s March DocketThe Supreme Court will hear arguments this month in several notable cases, including a dispute over voting rights in the state
by Causes | 3.1.21
Sexual Harassment Claims Against Gov. Cuomo: How Should They Be Investigated?What's the story? New York Governor Andrew Cuomo (D) has been accused of sexual harassment by two women, leading to calls for an
by Causes | 3.1.21