Flights to LaGuardia Airport Halted Over FAA Staffing Shortages
Are you concerned that the government shutdown is putting aviation security at risk?
by Causes | 1.25.19
- On Friday morning, New York’s LaGuardia airport instituted a “ground stop,” wherein flights that are destined for LaGuardia are being held at their departure airports.
- The situation stems from the ongoing government shutdown, now in its 35th day, which has strained Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) resources as a growing number of air traffic controllers – who are currently working without pay – call out sick.
- Flights were also delayed at several other major airports, including Washington’s Reagan National, Newark Liberty International and Philadelphia International.
- Top bosses of U.S. airlines warned of the risk to the aviation system Thursday, according to Bloomberg, with JetBlue Airways Corp. Chief Executive Officer Robin Hayes saying the situation was reaching a “tipping point.”
- Flights already in the air will still be allowed to land at LaGuardia, for the time being.
What do you think?
Are you concerned that the government shutdown is putting aviation security at risk? Why or why not? Tell your reps what you think, then share your thoughts below.
—Sara E. Murphy
(Image Credit: iStock.com / Vitaliy_Shishov)
IT: Investigating sexual harassment claims against Gov. Cuomo, and... ⚖️ How do you feel about SCOTUS' March?Welcome to Tuesday, March 2nd, drums and bass...New York Governor Andrew Cuomo (D) has been accused of sexual harassment by two
by Causes | 3.2.21
Voting Rights, College Athletes’ Ability to Earn Money, & More on the Supreme Court’s March DocketThe Supreme Court will hear arguments this month in several notable cases, including a dispute over voting rights in the state
by Causes | 3.1.21
Sexual Harassment Claims Against Gov. Cuomo: How Should They Be Investigated?What's the story? New York Governor Andrew Cuomo (D) has been accused of sexual harassment by two women, leading to calls for an
by Causes | 3.1.21