Progress

3,262 signed
+3,162 over goal

Sign the Petition to

Gary Quinlan

Dear Mr Gary Quinlan,
I believe that animals in circuses for entertainment in Australia is a very important issue. I also believe that you are in position to take action to address this issue.
Hundreds of countries around the world have already taken action and banned animals in circuses nation-wide. I believe we can do the same. In Australia we only have four towns that have banned animals from circuses, it is evident we are lagging behind the rest of the world.
This needs to be done because 96% of a circus animals’ life is spent in chains or in a cage, the other 4% is doing unnatural and painful acts twice a day. Backstage only gets worse, because the trainers are smacking them with bull hooks and lashing them with whips. Trainers use whips, tight collars, muzzles, electric prods, bull hooks and other painful tools of the trade to force animals to perform. Repetitive and often destructive behaviours such as obsessive swaying, bobbing, chewing, sucking, weaving, rocking, and licking are common in circus animals. This behaviour is manifestations of their extreme stress and boredom. Because of their forced immobility, circus animals may develop arthritis or other joint problems.
Every animal around the world has a right to live peacefully in their natural surroundings, the same as humans. Therefore, there should be a ban on animals performing for entertainment in circuses in Australia. Many countries have already banned animal use in circuses nation-wide, like Bolivia, Finland, India, Singapore and Sweden. These countries have all implemented bans or prohibited animal acts for the purpose of entertainment. Most circus animals are protected under the Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare, but it doesn’t stop trainers abusing the animals’ rights in foreign countries.
As the Permanent Representative for Australia to the United Nations, it is you who should address this issue that faces Australia because you are the voice of Australia who can bring this issue to an international level. Consequently, I ask for an Australian wide ban on all animals in circuses, and hire more people to monitor the many circuses in Australia that we have so the rights of the animals are not abused. This way all animals that are currently in circuses can live a natural, healthy life style, because at the moment all circus animals live about 50% of their life compared to their wild counterparts.
Your efforts will be closely monitored, in the hope that you decide to take action against this issue. The animals need your help, they are beaten and tortured every day! If foreign countries can manage to do it, it means Australia can as well. Australia puts our trust into your hands because we believe you can and will take action to save the animals in circuses.
Yours sincerely,

Corbin Bienke

Signed,

Corbin Bienke

This petition closed over 2 years ago

How this will help

By requesting this action, Mr Gary Quinlan will be encouraged to take action and ban all animals from circuses, because if he doesn't it will look bad to compare to other countries who have...

By requesting this action, Mr Gary Quinlan will be encouraged to take action and ban all animals from circuses, because if he doesn't it will look bad to compare to other countries who have already rolled out the ban. Mr Gary Quinlan is in such a high position at the United Nations, that he has the say if this ban will be placed. The more names on this petition means people will be educated about this serious issue.

1 comment

to comment