Is Bosnia and Herzegovina going to be next Romania?
Stray dogs' issue is escalating with each day. We can't let another mass slaughter of animals to happen! Please sign & share this important petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/bosnia-and-herzegovina-start-implementing-animal-protection-law
It is being delivered to Bosnian government, politicians, local authorities and all relevant parties.
We are asking from Bosnia and Herzegovina for a civilized way of dealing with the stray dogs' problem by correctly and fully implementing Animal Protection Law from 2009.
We also ask these steps to be taken as they will only lead to a humane treatment of animals:
1. Establish mandatory micro-chipping for all dogs in urban and rural areas (including information about the owner, breeder or kennel they come from). It is necessary to know which animal belongs to whom when it is found abandoned or mistreated and abused so it can be returned to its owner if lost or to punish the owner for the abandonment and negligence.
2. Ensure proper enforcement of micro-chipping including:
- Mandatory spaying and neutering of all dogs, no matter if they have owners or not, to minimize the risk of having new unwanted puppies/kittens on the streets (just one unsterilized male animal can impregnate dozens of females, creating dozens upon dozens of unwanted offspring, while one unaltered female dog and her offspring can produce 67,000 puppies in only six years. In seven years, one female cat and her offspring can produce an incredible 370,000 kittens!). Neutering has proven to be much more humane, cheaper and efficient solution to the problem.
- Ensure that the abandonment of dogs and cats is a criminal offense (if you do not punish irresponsible owners, they will throw puppies/kittens again and again)
- Veterinarians are obliged to give warnings to the owner if their animal is not micro-chipped and to alert local authorities when the owner refuses to micro-chip its animal.
3. Start an integrated mass-sterilization program at a national level. Join forces with capable NGOs.
4. Establish adoption centers.
5. Start media partnerships to encourage adoptions at a national and international level.
6. Punish all who abuse, torture or neglect animals (harming an animal is a first step to harm a child or adult).
7. We demand that you do things in accordance with the Law, and after four years of its existence, to start fully implementing it.
Please support this cause and say NO to animal suffering by signing this petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/bosnia-and-herzegovina-start-implementing-animal-protection-law