This petition is a call to Asian leaders to observe the UN International Day of the Girl Child on October 11, to recognize girls’ rights and the unique challenges that girls face in the region of Asia.
On December 19, 2011, the United Nations General Assembly declared October 11 as the International Day of the Girl Child. Resolution 66/170 invited all countries to observe the International Day of the Girl Child and to raise awareness of the situation of girls.
All over the world, but especially in Asia, girls are often neglected and devalued. Selective sex abortions, infanticide, FGM, child labor and child marriage are still problems in developing areas. In more developed places, girls are under constant pressure to look good and conform to unrealistic ideals. And all over Asia girls are at risk of sexual abuse and violence.
That’s why we are calling on all the leaders of countries in Asia to observe International Day of the Girl Child to:
- Raise awareness of the problems facing Asian girls
- Empower and invest in Asian girls
- Challenge the Asian stereotypes about girls
- Help Asian girls join decision-making processes
- Help Asian girls escape violence and discrimination
- Help parents, guardians, families … and boys value Asian girls
This petition closed over 1 year ago
This petition will be sent to Asia leaders, calling for changes to rules and practices that discriminate against girls.