Hon'ble Dr. Manmohan Singh Ji,
Prime Minister of India, New Delhi
The Jain Samaj submit for your kind consideration as follows :
1. Under Article 30 of the Constitution the Religious Community in numerical Minority is entitled for Religious Minority Community status. In Aldo Maria Patroni & Another V.E.C. Kesavan & other reported in AIR 1965 Kerala 75, a Full Bench of the Kerala High court held that the word 'Minority' has not been defined in the Consitution and in absence of any special definition, it must be held that any community, religious or linguistic, which is less than fifty percent of the population of the State is entitled to the fundamental right guaranted by Article 30 of the Constitution.
2. Under Section 2 (c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act 1992 while 5 minority communities i.e. Muslims, Christians, sikhs, Buddhists and Zoroastrians (Parsis) on the basis of their numerical strength have been notified minority community at National Leval, Jain Community through they are in absolute minority, having population of 4,225,053 i.e. 0.4% proportion of the total population of the country, have however, been left out without any logical reason (s), which is arbitrary.
3. The Jain community feel it discriminatory via-a-vis other religious minority communities that they are being granted minority status at National level in spite of having been notified minority community in 10 states viz Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Haryana, Maharashtra, Tripura, West Bengal and Delhi, Which together represent more then 54% of the total population of india. In abcense of minority status at national level, Jains are deprived of protection of professing their religious faith, culture, and traditions country - wide.
4. It will be in fitness of things that this anomalous decision of the Central Government be reviewed and rectified at the earliest.
5. Hence, we appeal to you to kindly mitigate the genuine grievance of Jain Community by notifying Jain Community as Religious Minority at National Level.
This petition closed almost 3 years ago
TO SAVE JAIN CULTURE & FOR FUTURE OF JAIN COMMUNITY