THIS IS A PETITION TO THE U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES REQUESTING THAT EACH MEMBER DO THEIR CONSTITUTIONAL DUTY AND TAKE FULL, UNDIMINISHED RESPONSIBILITY FOR EVERY PIECE OF LEGISLATION RELATING TO “RAISING REVENUE”
PER THE U.S. CONSTITUTION, Article 1 / Section 7:
“ALL BILLS FOR RAISING REVENUE SHALL ORIGINATE IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES; BUT THE SENATE MAY PROPOSE OR CONCUR WITH AMENDMENTS AS ON OTHER BILLS.”
A CITIZEN’S READING OF THIS SENTENCE IN PLAIN ENGLISH GRANTS NO EXCEPTIONS TO THE FACT THAT ALL (NOT SOME) REVENUE BILLS MUST ORIGINATE IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES (NOT IN THE SENATE, UNLESS PROPOSED TO THE HOUSE). THERE IS NO BLANK CHECK GRANTED BY THE PEOPLE TO THEIR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES OR TO ANY OTHER AGENT OF THE GOVERNMENT. ALL MONIES TO BE EXPENDED, EVERY NICKEL, ARE OF NECESSITY PART OF THE REVENUE RAISING PROCESS. IF SUCH REVENUE IS NOT RAISED IT IS CLEARLY NOT AVAILABLE FOR EXPENDITURE. IF THE NATION IS TO GO INTO DEBT, THEN ANY MONIES BORROWED MUST BE CONSIDERED REVENUE RAISING AND MUST BE ACCOUNTED FOR BY LEGISLATION ORIGINATING IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES.
ADHERENCE TO THE CONSTITUTION LEADS TO AN ORDERLY AND TRANSPARENT PROCESS, BY WHICH CITIZENS CAN GAGE AND MONITOR WHERE AND HOW EFFECTIVELY THEIR HARD-EARNED TAX MONIES ARE SPENT BY THEIR GOVERNMENT. BUT THIS CLEAR AND ORDERLY PROCESS HAS BEEN SADLY, AND IN SOME CASES SEVERELY, ABUSED. THE CONSEQUENCES ARE TOO NUMEROUS TO CITE, BUT A FEW SELECTED EXAMPLES ARE NOTED BELOW:
• BUDGETING & DEFICITS: FOR 3 YEARS, THE SENATE HAS FAILED TO PASS THE NATIONAL BUDGET. NO FULLY APPROVED BUDGET MEANS ZERO MONEY HAS BEEN DULY APPROPRIATED AND ZERO MONEY IS AVAILABLE FOR EXPENDITURE. NOW, SOME MAY CITE ARCANE BUDGET RULES, THAT PERMIT SUCH NONSENSE. BUT TO THE CITIZEN AND THE GOVERNMENT WHICH BELONGS TO HIM, ARCANE RULES THAT FAIL THE INSPECTION FOR CONSTITUTIONALITY ARE MERE DISTRACTIONS. CITIZENS RELY ON THEIR REPRESENTATIVES BEING BOUND FIRST AND FOREMOST BY THEIR PRINCPAL RULE OF LAW: THE U.S. CONSTITUTION, AND IN PARTICULAR, ARTICLE 1, SECTION 7.
• THERE SHOULD BE NO “FREE PASS” FOR OBAMACARE: THE BILL DIDN’T ORIGINATE IN HOUSE - - THEREFORE IT’S NOT LEGITIMATE AND SHOULD NOT BE ACCORDED ANY RESPECT IN THE REVENUE RAISING PROCESS. “END RUNS” BY TACKING ON UNRELATED BILLS CONCOCTED IN THE SENATE AND THEN MERELY ATTACHED AS ”AN AMENDMENT” TO AN UNRELATED HOUSE BILL IS A FRAUD AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION AND AGAINST THE CITIZENS. “ALL REVENUE BILLS SHALL ORIGINATE IN THE HOUSE” THE INTENT IS CLEAR, THE PEOPLE’S CHAMBER HAS FULL CONTROL OVER HOW MONIES ARE SPENT. A FULL RECORDED HOUSE VOTE NEEDS TO BE DEMANDED BEFORE ONE NICKEL IS SPENT ON OBAMACARE.
• MONIES APPROPRIATED TO SUPPORT THE MILITARY CANNOT BE ARBITRARILY DICTATED BY THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH. THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF HAS CONTROL OF THE MILITARY. BUT UNTIL A DULY ENACTED BUDGET IS AUTHORIZED AND APPROVED, ZERO CITIZEN’S MONIES SHOULD BE AVAILABLE TO THE MILITARY. IF THE CONGRESS LETS SLIP ONE DAY WHERE SUCH MONIES ARE NOT CORRECTLY AUTHORIZED TO BE SPENT, THEN THE CITIZENS SHOULD INITIATE MULTIPLE RECALLS OF SUCH INCOMPETENT ELECTED LEADERS.
• MONIES TO BE SPENT BY REGULATORY AGENCIES ARE NOT AT THE DISCRETION OF SUCH REGULATORY AGENCIES, THEY ARE ESSENTIAL COMPONENTS OF THE TOTAL GOVERNMENT MONIES TO BE EXPENDED AND MUST THEREFORE BE EMBEDDED IN REVENUE-RAISING LEGISLATION. ACCORDINGLY ALL SUCH FUNDS MUST BE DULY APPROVED BY THE CONGRESS AND THE LEGISLATIVE PROCESS MUST START BY ORIGINATING IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AS PER ARTICLE 1, SECTION 7.
• MONIES THAT ARE DESIGNATED BY INTERNATIONAL TREATY OBLIGATION, EVEN IF SIGNED BY DESIGNATED EXECUTIVE BRANCH MEMBERS, MUST BE REGARDED AS PART OF THE REVENUE-RAISING PROCESS, ACCORDINGLY ALL SUCH FUNDS MUST BE DULY APPROVED BY THE CONGRESS AND START THE LEGISLATIVE PROCESS BY ORIGINATING IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AS PER ARTICLE 1, SECTION 7 OF THE U.S. CONSTITUTION.
ACCORDINGLY, THE UNDERSIGNED REQUEST AND DEMAND THAT OUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES OF THE U.S. CONGRESS, FULFILL THEIR CONSTITUTIONAL DUTIES TO THE CITIZENS OF AMERICA, STARTING WITH THE 1st DAY OF THE UPCOMING FINANCIAL YEAR 2013. WE REQUEST/DEMAND THAT THE HOUSE INSIST ON ITS CONSTITUTIONAL DUTIES AND THAT THEY BE RESPONSIBLE, BY RECORDED VOTE, FOR EVERY NICKEL TO BE EXPENDED BY ANY ELEMENT OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. TO ENFORCE THIS DICTUM, IF DEEMED DESIRABLE BY HOUSE LEADERSHIP, FORMAL HEARINGS SHALL BE HELD TO EXPLAIN FINANCIAL POLICY POSITIONS TO THE CITIZENS. WITNESSES SHALL INCLUDE APPROPRIATE MEMBERS OF THE EXECUTIVE AND JUDICIAL BRANCHES OF GOVERNMENT, AND OTHER CITIZENS WITH SPECIAL CONSTITUTIONAL EXPERTISE. IF ADEQUATE RESULTS ARE NOT ACHIEVED FROM FORMAL HEARINGS, THEN THE HOUSE SHALL BRING APPROPRIATE LEGAL COMPLAINT TO THE U.S. SUPREME COURT AND REQUEST FULL RESOLUTION OF THE ISSUE IN CONFORMANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION. FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE THE CLARITY OF THE CONSTITUTION IS INADEQUATE, HOUSE LEADERSHIP SHALL BEGIN THE PROCESS OF CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT ACCORDING TO CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISIONS - - BUT IN THE INTERIM, SUPREME COURT RULING SHALL PREVAIL.
This petition closed over 3 years ago
Our Federal Government is in a chaotic, uncontrolled, runaway spending mode. It is clear: this path is unfair to our children and grandchildren by placing the correction of our irresponsibility...
Our Federal Government is in a chaotic, uncontrolled, runaway spending mode. It is clear: this path is unfair to our children and grandchildren by placing the correction of our irresponsibility on their shoulders. Things have been out of control for many years and in recent years have gotten worse.
The Founders considered financial responsibility a keystone of free government. They placed clear responsibility for raising revenues on the U.S. House, because it most closely reflects the feelings of the Citizens due to its short, 2 year election turnover requirement. Every Congressman takes an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Citizens rely on this oath for their Right to pursue Life, Liberty and Happiness.
The Founders used clear and convincing logic to structure our Government. And it has generally been outstandingly successful for 200+ years. But the Founders also recognized a tendency of elected officials to: become arrogant about power; lose focus on civic matters in the quest for re-election; and be subject to other human weaknesses. So the government was structured with a high regard for separation of powers and the use of checks and balances. Clearly we've strayed from that path. One of many linchpins bequeathed us to recover our balance, is the placing of the "People's House" in charge of raising revenue. It is time to hold the House of Representatives accountable in the discharge of that duty. Continued dereliction of this duty is making the Nation economically weaker. Disregard of the process for raising and spending revenues has been abused, to corrupt: promises made to Citizens for future retirement and health monies; selective and erratic enforcement of passed laws; building of political constituencies using selective awarding of public monies; waivers from taxes and other Citizen requirements to favored Groups; signing of International Treaties with implied (but not yet authorized) obligation of funds; and many others.
It is clear that American Citizens must stand against these abuses and demand correction by a return to Constitutional principles. Straightening out the revenue and spending mess is clearly in the top priority ranks.