This pledge closed 3 months ago
*UPDATE: See the "Waste to Waves" video to see how we are helping recycled surfboard cores to be created from post consumer waste! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NP3xmfY6pUs
SO WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
Because surfers – like everyone else...ultimately have to live with the (rather un-green) chemistry used to create many of our consumer goods, which including surfboards. In addition - the use of fossil fuel energy to create these consumer goods, is causing a rapid rise in global CO2/carbon levels in the atmosphere, which is creating these direct threats to our local surfing habitat:
• Sea Level Rise --- CA sea levels could rise over 3 feet before 2100
• Ocean Acidification --- 90% of all coral reefs expected to die-off by 2050
• Coastal Damage --- warmer water temps fuel more destructive storms
CAN BUYING A GREENER SURFBOARD HELP? YES!
Making sure that you order a ECOBOARD Project labeled surfboard (http://sustainablesurf.org/ecoboard) from your favorite surfboard brand, will help ensure that your next surfboard has been "verified" by Sustainable Surf, to be made with a meaningful combination of the latest sustainable materials available. Used in combination, these (recycled/renewable or non-toxic) materials can cut the CO2 footprint of a typical surfboard by over 40%, and eliminate the carcinogens/toxins usually found in typical (Polyurethane foam & Polyester resin) surfboard chemistry & processes.
CAN THIS ACTION ALONE SOLVE THE PROBLEM? NO!
Lets be FRANK – buying a new ECOBOARD Project labeled surfboard isn't going to solve all of the worlds environmental problems. However, it does send a message to surfing apparel & gear manufacturers that these issues are important to you, and that you are interested in supporting those companies that are taking steps to address our major environmental issues.
IF WE CAN CLEAN UP THE SURFBOARD, WE CAN GREEN UP SURFERS TOO...
Here is our simple vision: if we can change our surfboards to physically embody the ideals of sustainability, then we can change ourselves too. We will learn from that process, and can then apply that experience to tackle much larger issues that we confront as surfers – like reducing energy & water use, eliminating toxins & pollutants, building strong local communities – all while enjoying our one-of-a-kind, watery planet.
OK, SO NOW WHAT?
• Check out Sustainable Surf's website to learn more about our new ECOBOARD Project program. Find out more info about the materials within a surfboard, and where to find a surfboard shaper/brand that will make you your next ECOBOARD Project labeled surfboard http://sustainablesurf.org/ecoboard/
• Check out the wrap up story from Sustainable Surf's ECOBOARD Project - Launch Party on November 8th in San Francisco: http://sustainablesurf.org/2012/11/ecoboard-launch-party-a-success/
• Find out more about non-profit org Sustainable Surf, and all of their programs to help green up the surfing lifestyle: www.sustainablesurf.org