This petition closed about 1 month ago
What is BSL?
BSL or Breed Specific Legislation is a law which creates a number of severe restrictions and regulations for any breed considered vicious or dangerous under a specific state or city law. Each state or city may have different standards for BSL. Owners of certain dog breeds may be required to:
· Mandatory spay/neuter.
· Muzzle the dog when in public.
· Keep the dog on a leash no longer than 12” when in public.
· Purchase expensive liability insurance for owning a breed that is deemed “vicious”.
· Restrict the dog to the owner’s property at all times.
· “Doggie-house-arrest” means no walks around the block or trips to the park!
· Keep the dog in a specific enclosure at all times.
· Secure property with a 6’ fence surrounding perimeter.
· Ask community members for permission to own a “vicious” breed.
The most common kind of BSL in the U.S. completely bans all dogs of a certain breed. Meaning all dogs of the banned breed must be removed from the area by a designated deadline or they will be confiscated and euthanized by state officials without any exceptions. Even dogs that have never displayed any form of aggression are killed. Any owner who fails to comply with these deadlines will face costly fines and or jail time.
Contact your local Sentators & House of Representatives and tell them as a citizen you are AGAINST B.S.L.
BSL is costly to implement and enforce.
BSL has not been effective in decreasing dog bites or increasing public safety.
BSL requires an official to look at a dog and “guess” it’s breed. It is estimated that over 75% of household dogs are mixed breeds.
BSL places unreasonable burdens on responsible dog owners, tears families apart, and kills innocent dogs.