People across the country, and the world, use Causes to keep up on and influence what happens in government. And every day, our users have the chance to interact with each other online, join a movement, and make their voice heard on the issues that matter. This is an exciting opportunity for everyone to express opinions and share viewpoints. In fact, these kinds of conversations are the essential building blocks of democracy and for bringing about change. But because people are passionate about their values, it can be easy to forget to treat each other with respect.
That’s why we created Causes’ very own Community Guidelines. Our goal in creating these Guidelines is to accommodate the broadest range of self-expression, while balancing the need for all members of the Causes Community to be able to use our services safely and enjoyably.
- Speak your mind, but keep it respectful. We are strong advocates of free speech, but we do not tolerate hate speech. Ever. Period. We refuse to support any content that attacks, slanders, or promotes hatred against people or groups based on race/ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, nationality, political affiliation, veteran status, or sexual orientation/gender identity. Focus on the issues, the policies, and the facts, not personal attacks.
- Keep it civil. We know our content can fuel the fires of debate and disagreement — but no matter how heated things may get, we will not allow any form of bullying or harassment. Be it physical, emotional, and/or digital harassment. This includes predatory behavior, intimidation, invading privacy, revealing other people’s personal information, stalking, name calling, slurs, threatening, and/or inciting violence.
- Excessive profanity is not permitted. Different communities have different guidelines regarding profanity -- i.e., some do not allow it at all -- but across all of our communities, please keep use of profanity within reason.
- Keep our community welcoming. Drawing people into civic conversations is more effective when the environment is welcoming to everyone. Share clear, accurate information in a format that is easy to understand and promotes trust. Polarizing, aggressive political rhetoric might work with people who already agree with your message. But if you want to persuade the two-thirds of Americans who are not regularly participating in political life, you need an open, balanced, and civil approach.
- No trolling. Creating content for the sole purpose of trolling or disrupting the community is not permitted. Creating multiple user names for this purpose is not permitted. As part of this effort, we require all users to confirm their email address with us to ensure that comment posters are real people.
- Keep it real. We think people should be talking to other people, not bots. We do not allow the use of tools or technologies that may try to pass as a real person. You don't like getting sick, and neither do our computers. Don’t upload content with software viruses or computer code designed to interrupt, destroy or otherwise wreak havoc on other people’s devices.
- Don’t be gross. Sexually explicit, gory, pornographic, violent, or needlessly upsetting content has no place on Causes’ platforms. We know as well as anyone else that emotionally powerful imagery can get a reaction, but if you’re posting to be shocking or inflammatory, you’re crossing the line.
- Keep it legal. Don’t use Causes for any illegal shenanigans. We want you to share your ideas and beliefs. We don’t want you sharing things that violate intellectual property rights — that includes copyright, trademark, plagiarism, and other proprietary rights.
- Keep it free. Causes does not allow our community to use Causes for commercial purposes. No spam. No exceptions.
If you violate these Guidelines, we may remove the offending content, terminate your account, or notify law enforcement. If your account is terminated for violating our Terms of Service or these Guidelines, you may not use Causes again. Please take these Guidelines seriously and honor them in the spirit in which they are intended. We will do our best to enforce them consistently and fairly, and ultimately we’ll try to do what we think is best in each situation.
Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org if you see someone violating these guidelines or if you are feeling uncomfortable, bullied, harassed, or intimidated in any way. We are here to help, so please do not hesitate to let us know. Our policy is to take people at their word and engage directly when issues arise. We want our Community to welcome everyone. Everyone belongs here.
Thanks for being a member of our community here at Causes!
- The Causes Team
PS. If you’re interested in helping out and keeping Causes a fair and open home for democracy - apply to join the Causes Cabinet by emailing email@example.com