Raise awareness about horse slaughter; it is NOT humane euthanasia!
Horse slaughter is NOT illegal in the USA. There is NO federal ban on horse slaughter. American horses are being killed so their meat can satisfy the palates of overseas diners in countries such as Italy, France, Belgium and Japan.
Visit our non graphic Stop Slaughtering Us site - www.stopslaughteringus.com for sound, reliable information & links to other good groups & resources.
Most horses that are slaughtered are bought by killer-buyers who serve as middlemen for the slaughterhouses. Additionally, hundreds—perhaps thousands—of horses are stolen each year. Horse thieves make quick money by unloading illegally obtained horses to killer-buyers and slaughterhouses.
Slaughterhouses typically kill and process horses within 24 hours, making it impossible to trace and recover animals in time.
According to the US Department of Agriculture over 100,000 horses were exported for slaughter in 2009.
They are transported under deplorable conditions across our borders into Canada and Mexico to be slaughtered. Once at the slaughterhouse, the suffering continues unabated. Horses are left for long periods in tightly packed trailers, subjected to further extremes of heat and cold.
In hot weather, thirst is acute. Downed animals are unable to rise. All the horses are moved off forcibly when it’s time to unload. Callous workers, using fiberglass rods or electric prods, poke and beat the horses’ faces, necks, backs and legs as they are shoved through the facility and into the kill box.
Despite the federal mandate that horses be rendered unconscious before having their throats slit, repeated blows with captive bolt pistols are often necessary to stun the animals. Terrified horses writhe in the holding stalls (known as the “kill box”), legs buckling under their weight after each traumatic, misguided and ineffective blow to their heads. Death, the final betrayal of these noble animals, is protracted and excruciating.
1. The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act will end the slaughter of horses for human consumption and the domestic and international transport of live horses to slaughter.
2. Horse Slaughter is NOT illegal in the United States!
3. The transportation, handling and slaughter process are rife with cruelty. Failure to properly stun animals at the slaughter plant results in many horses being awake during the slaughter process.
4. Recent development - President Obama recently - November 18, 2011 - signed the fed ag bill which allowed funding of USDA horse slaughter plant inspectors. This means that horse slaughter plants may reopen again in the USA.
5. Learn how YOU can help us spread the word about horse slaughter - help our billboard campaign, today - it's an important part of our awareness efforts.
Donations Go To
Angel Acres Horse Haven Rescue, Inc.
a 501(c)(3) nonprofit (EIN: 13-4271553)