It is important to get UEFA to correct their website before UEFA 2012 is widely publicised - else it will be difficult to revert the damage of misspelling Kharkiv, Kyiv, and Lviv.
This began as an update on the Okean Elzy page where Okean Elzy requested fans to send a letter by e-mail or fax to UEFA to ensure the correct spelling of the names of Ukrainian cities before UEFA 2012 was actively advertised. See link provided for fax number and e-mail as well as a template letter.
Name of Ukrainian cities
Fax: +41 848 01 2727, +41 848 01 2525
Subject: Name of Ukrainian cities
Dear Madam / Sir,
Let me bring your attention to the fact that your website http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro2012/news/newsid=576359.html misspells the names of Ukrainian cities.
The capital of Ukraine in English is Kyiv not Kiev. Kiev was only used during the Soviet times. To write Kiev is old fashion at least, if not against the will of the Ukrainian as well as the US and other governments. Lvov is Lviv and was always Lviv as the matter of fact. One also writes Kharkiv, not Kharkov anymore.
This has been already reviewed by the Ukrainian and the Western governments, recognised by the UN, the US, Ukrainian, British, Australian and other English speaking countries and authorities. This is how these cities call themselves in English.
You can find more background information and evidences on http://Kyiv.Of-Cour.se/ .
Would you please make sure that the misspellings on your web-site are corrected?
Strong arguments in favour of Kyiv spelling in English language:
• Ukrainian government insists on Kyiv spelling
• US government issued a directive to write Kyiv
• United Nations Multilingual Terminology Database (the ultimate body on geographical names) approved it as Kyiv
• Major English speaking governments worldwide switched to Kyiv spelling
• CIA refers to the city as Kyiv
• The name of the famous football club is Dynamo Kyiv
• Many papers, e.g., British The Guardian, are already writing Kyiv
• All major Canadian media already use the spelling of Kyiv
• And many more on http://Kyiv.Of-Cour.se/
Thank you very much indeed for you support.
1. The capital of Ukraine in English is Kyiv not Kiev. Kiev was only used during the Soviet times.
2. Lvov is Lviv and was always Lviv and Kharkov is written Kharkiv.
3. If they can get it right on the map on the website, why is it spelt differently elsewhere on the website?
4. See extended information below for letter template, e-mail and fax address of UEFA if you wish to send a letter to register your protest.